Viking Payment requirements

molemaui

When inquiring about Viking Ocean cruises directly with Viking, I'm told you must pay in full shortly after booking the reservation. I don't know about the rest of you but I really have a problem with that. (SIlversea offers significant discounts for payment in full-no complaints there) 

My last Viking cruise was booked about 7-8 weeks prior to sailing so payment in full wasn't an issue. I also don't want cruise credit if I need to cancel as that limits you to the brand. 

How long out has anyone been able to put off full payment? Lastly, can anyone give me a palatable rational for why payment in full a year or more out is acceptable? Maybe I'm missing something. 

This has been asked previously, and answered.

There is no acceptable answer if you are asked and then make your final payment one year from sailing.

The most I have been asked is six months.  I think that 60 days too long!

I think the "palatable rational" used in my case is that I have 2 Viking river and 2 Viking ocean cruises booked in 2021.  When I book, I tell Viking don't even think about something over 6 months.

The rules are:

1. if you have at least one additional future cruise booked, you can request (and get) 6 months. You must ask - this is not automatic.

2. If you book a cruise either on board or within 10 days of disembarkment, you also can request 60 days.

3. There have been monthly specials where 6 months was offered.

Since there have been no cruises for almost a year, not sure if rule #2 will be reinstated. But I just did rule #1 this year and a friend did rule #3 a year ago.

Rule 2. I think that Squawman meant 6 months, not 60 days.  

If you don't have a future cruise on the books then the best you can hope for is 12 months prior to sailing.  Regardless, you must negotiate the pay in full date and any other requests before you make your deposit; once you make a deposit, you have entered into a contract and have signaled that you agree to the terms as stated

Further note, if you have booked a cruise longer than 35 days, the terms are different.  Read the terms and conditions on the Viking website. 

Rationale: Because even with their pay in full policy they fill their ships. Viking has always marched to a different drum and yet, or perhaps because of it, they have a loyal customer base.  

• Like 1

Yes, I am not thrilled about the prepayment rules with Viking but have done it.  It has always worked out ok.   When The In search of the Northern lights was canceled it worked out OK.  They refunded the money within days.

It's the rule.  Kind of like paying your taxes... hold your nose and do it...

This subject has been discussed endlessly in other threads.  I believe it has already been determined that there are two ways to avoid Viking's payment policies:  1.  Don't book early;  2.  Don't sail with Viking.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Rule 2. I think that Squawman meant 6 months, not 60 days.  

Thanks for correcting me. I have a final payment due in 60 days for a September river cruise - I guess I was subconsciously thinking about that 😊

We just booked a 22 day ocean cruise for October 2022 and were told final payment was due June 30, 2021.  That's 15 months in advance.  We believe that's a bit excessive.  But was told that it was standard.  Are they so strapped for cash that they have to use ours?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, scidee said:

We just booked a 22 day ocean cruise for October 2022 and were told final payment was due June 30, 2021.  That's 15 months in advance.  We believe that's a bit excessive.  But was told that it was standard.  Are they so strapped for cash that they have to use ours?

Viking's payment in full is negotiable. If you have another cruise booked, you can negotiate 6 months, otherwise the best is most likely 12 months. Note - this has not changed since the shut-down.

Viking is not a member of CLIA and definitely march to their own drummer, especially with payment terms. The positive is once you get aboard the ship, it is an amazing experience.

• Like 2

Until I learned to ask, the advanced payment deadline was my primary pet peeve with Viking.  Now I automatically ask and I get six months. Now my pet peeve is back to the normal one: the other passengers. LOL.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, scidee said:

Payment in full in the month when you booked was standard operating procedure for the company from the outset, when they were just a river cruise company and when they were only announcing their schedule a year in advance. They kept the policy when they started the Oceans division.  When we booked our first Oceans cruise a full 2 years before sailing, we expected to be paying for it immediately and were delighted when they gave us 18 months prior to sailing.  In other words, the payment policy is not a new policy and is just another example of were Viking does not follow the industry norms. 

• Like 1

Our final payment date is 31 March 2021 for a 12 January 2022 Expedition cruise. A little over nine months.  As it gets closer to final due date, I plan on asking them to extend the date to six months prior. If they don't agree, I will suggest paying them half when originally due (still a huge chunk) and the other half six months prior to the cruise. From what I am reading, it doesn't hurt to ask.

• Like 3