Celebrity Silhouette - concierge class - benefits/ making the most of concierge.

Hi,

We have got a cruise booked in a concierge class for October cruise. Concierge class was the highest class we could afford reasonably in our budget. But i am not sure if i will actually benefit from it... so i may have just wasted the extra money.

I have had one cruise before, in a celebrity room with veranda, so it appears the room is the same (although before my balcony was slightly bigger because we was on the diagonal part of the ship)

How do we get the best out of the concierge class, we are not too needy, i don't like asking for too much, but i guess the whole point of paying for the concierge class is that your going to use the concierge! 

Do you think it would be reasonable to ask for them to help us cater for my wife's gluten free requirement? on our last cruise we was limited to what room service we could have because there was not gluten free options, so we really stuck to the buffet. If we asked if he can arrange it so we get gluten free room service, would that be ok? 

Would also be very interested on how others have made the most of having a concierge room?

Thanks

You should have no problem with special dietary needs. Just let them know what they are. I feel there is no value in paying for concierge class at all. I don't need questionable snacks every afternoon and care nothing for the MDR lunch on embarkation day. I believe you may get a complimentary bottle of cheap bubbly, but not sure. 

Except for having lunch in the main dining room on embarkation day, and possibly a better ship location, there is not much to Concierge Class.  The Dining Room manager and your waiter can arrange gluten free meals in the dining room but not sure about room service meals as they have limited menus.

On Silhouette, concierge rooms are same size as regular veranda rooms. They are just in different locations. Concierge has some added features that may benefit you.  Only you can decide if the extra expense is worth it.  The embarkation lunch in the MDR is good. You avoid the crowds at the Buffet. The afternoon snacks are not much. Anyone can call room service.  Concierge earns extra captains club points.  There is a dedicated concierge.  There is also some wine or bubbly in the cabin on embarkation.  Check the X website to see the list of benefits.  

A concierge is not a Butler.  Don't confuse their roles. We've used the concierge to make dining reservations, help with excursion changes, and to get our boarding passes printed for our flights home. The other concierge class benefits are listed on the X website.

As for special dietary requests, as a PP stated, the dining room Maitre d' and your waiter can handle those. For room service, just call them and tell them what you need- they'll try to accommodate. 

Their is 1 Concierge for all the Concierge cabins so they can be very busy.  Many of the things they are asked to do are things you can do yourself ( print boarding passes, make/  cancel  dinner reservations or excursions) where they come in very handy are for more complex issues like luggage not arriving after your flight,  OBC from your TA not showing on your account.  

As mom says, the Concierge is not like a Butler or the Concierge that services the suites. Honestly, I’ve stayed in Concierge class many times and never even spoken to the Concierge. I’ve never done the boarding lunch so I can’t speak to that and the afternoon snacks are not impressive to me. I mostly only book them for the location on the S class. 

I love Concierge!  Benefits for me: 

1.  Dedicated check in line, pre-embarkation lounge and earlier embarkation based upon status/class

2.  Embarkation lunch in the MDR.  Granted the menu is limited, but it's so nice to set your carry-on bag down in a safe area to be waited upon without the buffet crowds.

3.  Welcome bottle of wine/bubbly and green apples in your stateroom.

4.  Desirable cabin locations on quieter decks.

5.  The Concierge is very helpful when needed. 

6.  Sometimes the ship will host a Concierge-only event.   We were welcomed to sailaway with free sparkling wine on the helipad when we sailed out of Bermuda on one of our cruises. 

7.  Extra Captain's Club points.

8. The pre-disembarkation lounge with coffee/tea and pastries.   It's a nice place to wait to disembark, again away from the crowds. 

Hope this helps! 

4 hours ago, Saturngrl said:

1.  Dedicated check in line, pre-embarkation lounge and earlier embarkation based upon status/class

2.  Embarkation lunch in the MDR.  Granted the menu is limited, but it's so nice to set your carry-on bag down in a safe area to be waited upon without the buffet crowds.

6.  Sometimes the ship will host a Concierge-only event.   We were welcomed to sailaway with free sparkling wine on the helipad when we sailed out of Bermuda on one of our cruises. 

8. The pre-disembarkation lounge with coffee/tea and pastries.   It's a nice place to wait to disembark, again away from the crowds. 

Hope this helps! 

love this, thank you x

My 2 cents on concierge --

I usually book verandas, monitor the prices, and sometimes the concierge's drop in price after final payment. If there is no difference, I switch.

On M class the cabins are bigger.

The locations are better on all classes.

The concierge can be useful when needed, and their concierge-event only are a nice perk.

Those are for me the advantages of concierge 😁

I agree with most Concierge is not worth the extra money, I would only book it if the price was the same as a balcony cabin.  Be proactive and look for good prices on Aqua Cabins, sometimes you can get them cheap and that's a real upgrade because of dining in Blu.  

As far as your wife's dietary needs, the best person to see is the Maite'd.   I have seen on many occasions where he will bring over the next nights menu and discussing what is offered.   

We have sailed Concierge many times; however, they were on M Class ships, and the only reason we did so was to obtain our preferred location of stateroom.   Other than paying a premium for the location we wanted, the room was a bit bigger, and the extra Captain's Club points, the remainder of the benefits were just marketing fluff.  We have sailed Concierge on S Class ships and prefer Aqua Class cabins, as we feel that is a better match for our needs.

5 hours ago, 39august said:

You should have no problem with special dietary needs. Just let them know what they are. I feel there is no value in paying for concierge class at all. I don't need questionable snacks every afternoon and care nothing for the MDR lunch on embarkation day. I believe you may get a complimentary bottle of cheap bubbly, but not sure. 

Tried it once and yes, a complimentary bottle of bubbles on sail away cruising past the Opera house leaving Sydney Harbour. And the snacks you mentioned. Plus a daily phone message reminding you that you have a concierge. Lunch in MDR on embarkation? Meh. There are better things to do.

If it wasn't a cheap package extra I would not be enticed knowing what I know now.

To me, the only benefits of a concierge class cabin are the lunch in the MDR on embarcation day (the buffet is a zoo), a larger cabin on M class ships, and 2 more points/night if you are collecting points for Captain's Club.  Not worth a lot of extra money.

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

To me, the only benefits of a concierge class cabin are the lunch in the MDR on embarcation day (the buffet is a zoo), a larger cabin on M class ships, and 2 more points/night if you are collecting points for Captain's Club.  Not worth a lot of extra money.

Been in a concierge cabin twice and both times switched after final payment when it was the same price as the 2D I always pay for. Most times travel solo so pay double occupancy anyway. The MDR lunch was nice and the bubbly came in handy to make my morning mimosas.  On a 12 night cruise I ended up with additional bottles as occupants in cabin next to mine had beverage package and did not want them.  Never would actually book a CC; just not worth the extra cost.  Did love the location and deck though. 

7 hours ago, mashisback said:

Hi,

We have got a cruise booked in a concierge class for October cruise. Concierge class was the highest class we could afford reasonably in our budget. But i am not sure if i will actually benefit from it... so i may have just wasted the extra money.

I have had one cruise before, in a celebrity room with veranda, so it appears the room is the same (although before my balcony was slightly bigger because we was on the diagonal part of the ship)

How do we get the best out of the concierge class, we are not too needy, i don't like asking for too much, but i guess the whole point of paying for the concierge class is that your going to use the concierge! 

Do you think it would be reasonable to ask for them to help us cater for my wife's gluten free requirement? on our last cruise we was limited to what room service we could have because there was not gluten free options, so we really stuck to the buffet. If we asked if he can arrange it so we get gluten free room service, would that be ok? 

Would also be very interested on how others have made the most of having a concierge room?

Thanks

There is virtually no benefit in going concierge class nowadays. You get a bottle of bubbly in your room and not much else. We have reverted to booking ordinary veranda staterooms because the extra cost of concierge is just a total waste of money! All the staterooms are the same size mostly.

26 minutes ago, hawkesbaynz said:

We recently booked a Concierge cabin for the extra points. This/was a double point deal so those extra two points a night (doubled) upgraded us to Elite for our next cruise. 

Of course that's an incentive. We're already Elite (courtesy of being Diamond on Royal), so for us the double/triple points are not a factor 😁

The location for me is very important -- we prefer being near the stairs/elevators instead of the long walk through the corridors -- those minutes keep accumulating and "shortening" our cruise time.

We're one of those who keep forgetting things in the cabin....

23 hours ago, Saturngrl said:

Hope this helps! 

You make some excellent points. I think some of us take for granted these added perks because we are higher up on the ladder and get most of them anyway. If I were new to Celebrity I would appreciate some of these perks for sure. 

On 1/28/2021 at 4:48 PM, Saturngrl said:

Hope this helps! 

These are the Concierge benefits that are worth the most to us:

4.  Desirable cabin locations on quieter decks - sometimes a larger cabin or balcony.

6.  Sometimes the ship will host a Concierge-only event - We were invited to a sailaway on the helipad sailing out of Flam in the Norwegian Fjords and a special event with hot chocolate when cruising the Hubbard Glacier in Alaska.

Enjoy the experience.

Do you still get the special bag? Or is that something that was cut?

Not that I need any more of them, I have so many that I'm thinking of making a pontoon cover out of them. 

I love the embarkation day lunch and the bottle of bubbly along with other little extras. I used to love the footstools on the balcony in Concierge Class. I remember they were removed on 'revolutionising'. This caused upset at the time. Did they ever get reinstated?

Edited by laslomas
On 1/29/2021 at 3:19 PM, ORV said:

Do you still get the special bag? Or is that something that was cut?

Not that I need any more of them, I have so many that I'm thinking of making a pontoon cover out of them. 

The bag went away some time ago.  Probably just in time.  I have a closet full of them!  Didn't particularly care for the new version anyway.

31 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

The bag went away some time ago.  Probably just in time.  I have a closet full of them!  Didn't particularly care for the new version anyway.

lol

On 1/28/2021 at 9:26 PM, dkjretired said:

As far as your wife's dietary needs, the best person to see is the Maite'd.   I have seen on many occasions where he will bring over the next nights menu and discussing what is offered.

I am Dairy Intolerant and I fill in a Special needs form when I book. I then go to MDR on embarkation afternoon to meet the Maitre’D and arrange that evening’s meal. Every evening afterwards I am brought the next days menu so that I can pre order.

We have never stayed in Concierge, yet, but did have 1044 booked for our cancelled cruise in August 2020. That had the larger angled balcony.

The main reason that I had booked Concierge was to reach Elite+ status more quickly(5 points per night, as opposed to 3 in verandah). I was also looking forward to the embarkation lunch, but as that finishes at 1.30 pm you do need to be on board in good time. That may prove to be a problem when cruising starts again, due to the increased Health checks. However, as no one yet knows what they will be, I can’t advise.

Edited by upwarduk