Jump to content

Celebrity cruisers considering Oceana


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, emd138 said:

Yes, it was on Oceania last March.  We had not experienced that before, so maybe they were really slow sales as LHT28 said, but it was really annoying.  Hopefully it was a one off thing and not the way they will be trending.

Hope you put it in your comment form

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, emd138 said:

Yes, it was on Oceania last March.  We had not experienced that before, so maybe they were really slow sales as LHT28 said, but it was really annoying.  Hopefully it was a one off thing and not the way they will be trending.

On our Panama Canal cruise several years ago we were having a drink at the pool bar on a sea day.  They came to our table to push the Margarita tasting later that afternoon.  I think their intention was just to inform us of it if we didn't already know about it.  I don't think this is a one off thing. It's more the norm, IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2021 at 9:43 AM, YoPhilly said:

Dale,

We evolved from long-time Princess cruisers to long-time Celebrity (which we really like and consider much better than Princess) to Oceania (which we love and consider even better).  We like the relaxed feel of Oceania - no formal nights.  We especially like that passengers don't have their hands all over the food in the buffet; the staff spoon/serve onto plates.  And we like the absence of extra charges for dining in "specialty" restaurants.  Personal preference.

Thanks YoPhilly!  Yes, it is things like these that are nudging us toward Oceania.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2021 at 9:16 PM, CintiPam said:

Hope you decide to give Oceania a try.

 

(Note that the cruise line’s name indeed is Oceania.)

Thanks everyone for their valuable insights.

 

Yes, we made the determination this week.  Had a Zoom conference with our TA and cancelled our 2021 Celebrity Baltic and booked Oceania - June 2022 - Rome to Barcelona (10-night) on the Riviera.  Since we've cancelled a couple cruises for which we were saving, we decided to book an A3 Concierge stateroom.  

 

It is so nice to have something to look forward to!!

 

Dale

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 1/29/2021 at 11:10 PM, DENIE said:

We are currently scheduled to go on a Celebrity Reflection cruise to the Baltic in August 2021.  While this cruise has not been cancelled (yet), it seems with each passing day that if it sails, the itinerary may be changed (or perhaps being forced to take the Celebrity shore excursions), which could be a deal breaker for us.   

 

All things considered, we would be starting from scratch as we look to 2022.  I've spent some time looking at Oceana Mediterranean itineraries (Baltic prices seem so HIGH).  We have several Celebrity cruises under our belts, and we typically travel with a beverage package, and have done both ocean view and verandah cabins.  We have paid for specialty dining 1-3 times per trip (I understand most options on Oceana are included).  

 

We definitely have enjoyed the food on Celebrity (especially Murano), and the small music ensembles in the lounges, etc.  We are in our late 50's, and not looking for the amusement parks, water parks, etc., and appreciate a very refined, elegant experience (which is what is appealing about Oceana).  

 

It looks like Oceana might be a good fit for us?  Curious to hear from people with experience on both?  We also have experience on HAL, MSC (Caribbean cruise on Divina - really liked it), and Carnival (never again!). 

 

Major concern is what appears to be a large leap in prices from this year into 2022 (but Celebrity is doing this too).

 

Appreciate any comments or advice.

 

Thanks,

Dale

 We've sailed Celebrity a few times. The trips were on the Eclipse. We're foodies. The quality dropped so bad on our 2017 Eclipse trip, that the Maître D dragged the chef around to apologize for the poor quality. Never before or since ever saw anything like that. It did get better, but not by much.

 We then bit the bullet & booked O. The Food is like night & day. As to elegant, you'll not see much in the way of jeans at night. They were NOT allowed in the GDR at night or any of the specialties. You should see a nice mix of pax. No tuxes & not many suits & ties. You'll mostly see nice shirts/pants/shoes. some sport or suit coats, minus the tie. As they say: "Country Club" casual. Entertainment is lacking(except good lectures) The entertainment is really the food. You'll see few children. Those you do see, will, in most cases be very well behaved. I do recommend the afternoon tea service is is sublime! If you're looking for a relaxing cruise, it hardly gets better than this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, rbtan said:

 We've sailed Celebrity a few times. The trips were on the Eclipse. We're foodies. The quality dropped so bad on our 2017 Eclipse trip, that the Maître D dragged the chef around to apologize for the poor quality. Never before or since ever saw anything like that. It did get better, but not by much.

 We then bit the bullet & booked O. The Food is like night & day. As to elegant, you'll not see much in the way of jeans at night. They were NOT allowed in the GDR at night or any of the specialties. You should see a nice mix of pax. No tuxes & not many suits & ties. You'll mostly see nice shirts/pants/shoes. some sport or suit coats, minus the tie. As they say: "Country Club" casual. Entertainment is lacking(except good lectures) The entertainment is really the food. You'll see few children. Those you do see, will, in most cases be very well behaved. I do recommend the afternoon tea service is is sublime! If you're looking for a relaxing cruise, it hardly gets better than this.

Thanks Rbtan!

 

So sorry to hear about your experience on the Eclipse.  Fortunately, we did not have that....

 

That said, we did decide to book the Opulent Mediterranean (Rome to Barcelona, 10 nights) June 15, 2022 sailing on the Riviera.  We based our decisions on other responses to this post, and due to other friends who have sailed Oceania. We booked a category A3 Concierge level on deck 9.  Oceania seems to hit all the right areas for us, especially with the food.  Dress code seems to be perfect too, I usually wear slacks in the evening, along with button down shirt or dressier polo.  As long as they have decent duos or quartets (strings, singers, lounge pianists, etc.) in the bars/lounges, we are good!  We don't need big production shows.  

 

We are traveling with my sister-in-law as well.  My wife and her are planning to do at least 1 of the cooking classes.  We also want to reserve one of the La Reserve events.  My wife and SIL also really want to do the afternoon tea, as you suggest.  🙂

 

Thanks again for your response!  Looking forward to a GREAT experience! 🙂

Edited by DENIE
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DENIE said:

Thanks Rbtan!

 

So sorry to hear about your experience on the Eclipse.  Fortunately, we did not have that....

 

That said, we did decide to book the Opulent Mediterranean (Rome to Barcelona, 10 nights) June 15, 2022 sailing on the Riviera.  We based our decisions on other responses to this post, and due to other friends who have sailed Oceania. We booked a category A3 Concierge level on deck 9.  Oceania seems to hit all the right areas for us, especially with the food.  Dress code seems to be perfect too, I usually wear slacks in the evening, along with button down shirt or dressier polo.  As long as they have decent duos or quartets (strings, singers, lounge pianists, etc.) in the bars/lounges, we are good!  We don't need big production shows.  

 

We are traveling with my sister-in-law as well.  My wife and her are planning to do at least 1 of the cooking classes.  We also want to reserve one of the La Reserve events.  My wife and SIL also really want to do the afternoon tea, as you suggest.  🙂

 

Thanks again for your response!  Looking forward to a GREAT experience! 🙂

The string quartet in Horizon for the Tea Service is excellent. It's  hard to refrain from the delectable sweets & savories that they have. Do arrive a little early as the best seats fill quickly. It's a small table with very comfy chairs. We love the wing back ones nearer the windows, but the suite pax always seem to grab those. They are not reserved, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rbtan said:

 We love the wing back ones nearer the windows, but the suite pax always seem to grab those. They are not reserved, though.

Really??

 We have sat there  & never been in a cabin higher than an "A"

 Timing is everything

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you're right. We always did an inside & then upgraded to a B-1. We often arrived a little after 4. I think you need to come earlier.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2021 at 10:06 PM, DENIE said:

Thanks Rbtan!

 

So sorry to hear about your experience on the Eclipse.  Fortunately, we did not have that....

 

That said, we did decide to book the Opulent Mediterranean (Rome to Barcelona, 10 nights) June 15, 2022 sailing on the Riviera.  We based our decisions on other responses to this post, and due to other friends who have sailed Oceania. We booked a category A3 Concierge level on deck 9.  Oceania seems to hit all the right areas for us, especially with the food.  Dress code seems to be perfect too, I usually wear slacks in the evening, along with button down shirt or dressier polo.  As long as they have decent duos or quartets (strings, singers, lounge pianists, etc.) in the bars/lounges, we are good!  We don't need big production shows.  

 

We are traveling with my sister-in-law as well.  My wife and her are planning to do at least 1 of the cooking classes.  We also want to reserve one of the La Reserve events.  My wife and SIL also really want to do the afternoon tea, as you suggest.  🙂

 

Thanks again for your response!  Looking forward to a GREAT experience! 🙂

The best thing about the afternoon tea is that it takes place on EVERY SEA DAY!!!  Think of all the opportunities to indulge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GeorgesGal said:

The best thing about the afternoon tea is that it takes place on EVERY SEA DAY!!!  Think of all the opportunities to indulge.

On Oceania   afternoon tea takes place EVERY day except embarkation day 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

On Oceania   afternoon tea takes place EVERY day except embarkation day 😉

LHT28 - good to know!  My wife and her sister are probably going to do this a few times. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DENIE said:

LHT28 - good to know!  My wife and her sister are probably going to do this a few times. 🙂

DH  rarely misses afternoon tea  LOL

CIMG0056

CIMG0061

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

These pictures remind me of the old days when Oceania would, on the rare occasion, have its fabulous bow out Teas. Last couple of cruises on both the Marina and Nautica, not only were they not held but separate service was no longer being set up on the tables. Every thing being offered was on the push cart that came around to the tables.

 

This in no way implies that the offerings were not adequate nor attractive. Just that we haven’t seen the display as shown in the picture for a few years prior to the pandemic. Cost savings, waste reduction, all of the above?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

These pictures remind me of the old days when Oceania would, on the rare occasion, have its fabulous bow out Teas. Last couple of cruises on both the Marina and Nautica, not only were they not held but separate service was no longer being set up on the tables. Every thing being offered was on the push cart that came around to the tables.

 

This in no way implies that the offerings were not adequate nor attractive. Just that we haven’t seen the display as shown in the picture for a few years prior to the pandemic. Cost savings, waste reduction, all of the above?

Our last cruise in April 2019 was still the same as always

 

The cart did have less offerings  but most people  went up to the table  ..they had not eaten for  a while I guess 😉

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Our last cruise in April 2019 was still the same as always

 

The cart did have less offerings  but most people  went up to the table  ..they had not eaten for  a while I guess 😉

 

Our 2019 was same as yours. They did have the trolleys, which were fine. After a while the staff pretty much knew what we liked & would bring it over to us. The table was always nicely supplied. I think they could still do he table, but like in Terrace, everything could be behind glass & you just politely point to your favorite snack.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Our last cruise in April 2019 was still the same as always

 

The cart did have less offerings  but most people  went up to the table  ..they had not eaten for  a while I guess 😉

 

A bit of inconsistency between cruises for sure. The tables weren’t being set up for our two cruises in 2019. Guess it’s moot now anyway. For the foreseeable future there won’t be any self service, so it will probably only be cart service only for sure.

 

When they held the very occasional blow out Teas, it became dinner. Otherwise, unless we weren’t eating until 8:00ish, we typically took a pass on Teas. Just to much food. Only so much C12H22O11 my body can take unfortunately. 😢

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rbtan said:

Our 2019 was same as yours. They did have the trolleys, which were fine. After a while the staff pretty much knew what we liked & would bring it over to us. The table was always nicely supplied. I think they could still do he table, but like in Terrace, everything could be behind glass & you just politely point to your favorite snack.

The staff pretty much served you from the centre table display   a few people were too impatient &tried to help themselves

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LHT28 said:

The staff pretty much served you from the centre table display   a few people were too impatient &tried to help themselves

Kind of wished they had a few Grandmas with the wooden spoons. That would keep the scofflaws in line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2021 at 10:44 AM, ORV said:

This was on Oceania? I've seen them pushing other things like Bingo that is way too reminiscent of Mass Market lines, but haven't really noticed it with tastings. I do see them in the Currents, but never go to them. I don't like that the last time I was on Riviera they had Port Talks, which was like Mass Market ships, with a dedicated "shopper" that of course pushed the stores that give them a kickback.  This was on a Caribbean cruise. I never saw this on Oceania until their joining with NCL. 

A company know as Apollo Mgt. bought Regent Seven Seas/Oceania/and a majority control in NCL. It's really not joined together but are managed together. I'm not too worried about Oceania going down marker, especially if the Allure class is any indication. I just hope al lines can survive the CDC shut down, which likely will extend until late fall/winter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2021 at 2:00 PM, rbtan said:

I think you're right. We always did an inside & then upgraded to a B-1. We often arrived a little after 4. I think you need to come earlier.

  How do you the upgrade? Did you call Oceania and ask to pay for upgrade?  How far in advance before your sailing?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, travelbug2225 said:

  How do you the upgrade? Did you call Oceania and ask to pay for upgrade?  How far in advance before your sailing?  

This has happened the last 2 times. About a month or so (give or take) We either got an e-mail or call asking if we wanted the upgrade to a B-1 from an inside. These were not free. We had to weigh the price difference for the upgrade v/s if we had actually booked it instead of the inside cabin. The upgrade was about $400-600pp less than the actual fare for the B-1. A reasonable price for us. Some may agree or disagree. Our 1/14/22 is for a ocean view. These rooms have a full floor to ceiling window instead of a rectangle or round porthole type window. Though we do prefer a balcony, the ocean view still have the same space as a balcony room, just minus the balcony. Any upgrade has to be really worth paying for us to change this cabin.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, travelbug2225 said:

  How do you the upgrade? Did you call Oceania and ask to pay for upgrade?  How far in advance before your sailing?  

This is all dependent on whether or not there are enough cabins available in the last 2 weeks or thereabout on you cruise.

About 2-3 weeks prior to your cruise let your TA know that you're interested in an upgrade. He she will ask where you'd like to end up and what you are willing to pay for it. The upgrades themselves are limited as to time, as it's first come, first served. I often give my TA my top price and  permission to charge my card if I can't be reached. Often I've settled on upgrades before, only to be offered a second upgrade go around later. You should also know that you may be able to negotiate price  if you don't like the initial price offered for the upgrade.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can also negotiate the cabin category. I was offered a B3 and when I said I had to be mid-ship due to mal de mer, I was promptly offered a B1 for the same price. Nice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw this thread and replying to the OP.  IMO the best way I can explain the difference between Celebrity and Oceania (even though we've only sailed O twice on the Riviera) .....Oceania is currently what Celebrity used to be when we first sailed them in 1993 on the Horizon and stayed that way until RCI bought them out and, little by little, chipped all the luxuries that made Celebrity a Premier cruise line.

 

I'm sure those of you who have been sailing Oceania for as long as we've been sailing Celebrity, some also might feel that since NCL now owns Oceania,  O luxuries have been chipped away as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...