My husband and I are planning a transatlantic cruise on Holland America in November.  We had our eye on an aft cabin, waited too long and now all are booked.  Our TA is encouraging us to book a hump cabin and get on the waitlist for an aft cabin.  Does anyone have experience with a waitlist?  Is it a really longshot that we will end up in an aft cabin?  

First, you need to ask this on the Holland America board here, where people with HAL experience will see it.  
Second, being on the list is a crap shoot.  I can’t imagine that they have people watching inventory and the wait list list.  There will be others looking for those cabins, checking multiple times a day and if one pops up they will grab it before the HAL people see it.  The best bet, unless you have a really good travel agent who will do it for you, is to be that person checking incessantly...  EM

On some cruise lines, you can only "wait-list" for 1 specific cabin...not a "category".....  There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with a "hump" cabin!  Very convenient!