CDC Requires Masks on Ships

Crazy For Cats

1 hour ago, Himself said:

Cute picture.   I suspect the CDC might want to destroy the cruise industry.

Perhaps the CDC wants to stop the cruise industry from destroying  itself.

Perhaps the CDC want to protect the health and well being of cruisers.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

Just now, iancal said:

Perhaps the CDC wants to stop the cruise industry from destroying itself.

Either way, I am seriously starting to wonder how the industry will survive.  Everyone was hoping the vaccines would do the trick but virus mutations are working around them.  Even if cruising gets up and running it appears that it will be a very different experience from what it was.  

22 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

The CDC announced late yesterday that masks will be required for passengers.  This starts on February 1.  This is a link to the article:   https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24289-cdc-order-to-require-passengers-to-wear-masks-on-ships.html?fbclid=IwAR2JlRGNkY1q_YRfdC6fwcF5zZYxwn3BdpXF19tHrk2vs8bJlwIo59eR2qk

I didn't know there were already cruise lines operating..

Just think about what a couple cruise ships trying to dock in FLL or MIA would do to the industry if there was an outbreak of covid on board those ships. 

Or a cruise ship or two wandering about because no port would allow them to dock because of a covid outbreak on board.

Edited by iancal

54 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Either way, I am seriously starting to wonder how the industry will survive.  Everyone was hoping the vaccines would do the trick but virus mutations are working around them.  Even if cruising gets up and running it appears that it will be a very different experience from what it was.  

And not only is there the mutation of the virus to worry about, but also the number of people who refuse to take the vaccine. It really is beginning to look like this will never end. I do not want to feel that way, but I really do not see a way out with all that is going on now.😢

5 hours ago, CNSJ said:

Following the discussion in this thread, and I have read the linked orders.  I tried to find the fine print that covers unique situations like cruise ships.  The way I read this order, you have to wear a mask at all times except the few things like eating, taking meds and talking to a lip reader.  So.... would this include while in your stateroom or on your balcony during the cruise?  Rules written for an eight or ten hour flight don't translate well to a two week transatlantic trip.

What am I missing here?

Nothing.  This order does not simply apply to cruise vessels, either.  It applies to all ships, cargo or passenger, even military vessels.  This is now tied to the granting of "pratique" or the health clearance needed to enter US waters, as I suspected it would become, so it applies to every ship wishing to enter US waters, and by tying the wearing of masks for the entire voyage to getting "pratique", this effectively extends the CDC jurisdiction to the operation of a foreign ship outside US waters. 

Since there are no cameras in your cabin, I would not expect that you would be required to wear a mask there, but the balcony is a public space and masks would be required there.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Since there are no cameras in your cabin, I would not expect that you would be required to wear a mask there, but the balcony is a public space and masks would be required there.

I’m curious on your take on wearing masks on the balconies.  To me, my balcony is a private space (unless I invite someone and then yes, you would need to mask).  Otherwise you’re outdoors and more than 6’ apart.

I’m not saying you’re wrong and we are both speculating but if we are in code yellow here (which I would assume the ships are treating this as) then masks are not required outdoors as long as you are physically distanced.  It will be interesting as things develop, for sure.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

I’m curious on your take on wearing masks on the balconies.  To me, my balcony is a private space (unless I invite someone and then yes, you would need to mask).  Otherwise you’re outdoors and more than 6’ apart.

I’m not saying you’re wrong and we are both speculating but if we are in code yellow here (which I would assume the ships are treating this as) then masks are not required outdoors as long as you are physically distanced.  It will be interesting as things develop, for sure.

Although certainly not followed by all, despite the pleadings of the Governor and health officials, the mask mandate here requires a mask whenever outside one's home, except when eating and drinking.

7 minutes ago, mame42 said:

Although certainly not followed by all, despite the pleadings of the Governor and health officials, the mask mandate here requires a mask whenever outside one's home, except when eating and drinking.

Same here if we are in Code Orange or Red.  I would assume ships would not sail in those conditions 😉 

I would think a proof of vaccination would be a requirement for cruising which should, in effect, create a code yellow.

I realize I might be speaking in terms not applicable everywhere so here is what is implemented here in New Brunswick for our different health zones for code red (the bad one and can lead to total lockdown), code orange and code yellow.  

30B1FDB8-EA53-4A7F-A60F-712E6CC5D834.thumb.jpeg.47d55bd200aeb6f7b7b22f48112d0b34.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mame42 said:

Not exactly.  I just read the mandate and the Louisiana Health Department Mandate.  There are many exceptions, notably this one

• While in public, you should use a mask, scarf or other face covering. This includes indoor spaces and outdoor spaces when you are near others who are not in your immediate household  

It is important to note the distinctions.  I had some goofball email me that he was going to call the police on me because he saw me jogging at 5:30 am without a mask.  I guess I could have infected an owl if he chose to land on my head

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, kazu said:

You could be distanced while on your balcony, or you could not, so I would consider it to be a place where you would wear one.  Just like any open air deck, you could say that if you are distanced, then the mask could come off, but back on when close to people.

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

You could be distanced while on your balcony, or you could not, so I would consider it to be a place where you would wear one.  Just like any open air deck, you could say that if you are distanced, then the mask could come off, but back on when close to people.

It’s too easy on an open deck to end up close to someone so if masks were required, I’d wear one 😉. I’m not a rule breaker and very cautious in these times and use every prevention recommended.

Between the dividers on the balconies and the wind, I would have thought that there would be enough space but perhaps not.

I just hope that the cruise lines let people know what the parameters will be before final payment.  It’s only fair.

• Like 4

Just now, kazu said:

Between the dividers on the balconies and the wind, I would have thought that there would be enough space but perhaps not.

I thought the same thing, Jacqui.  Certainly better than the restaurants here (when we're allowed to have indoor dining) that just put up barriers between tables a couple feet apart. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Not exactly.  I just read the mandate and the Louisiana Health Department Mandate.  There are many exceptions, notably this one

• While in public, you should use a mask, scarf or other face covering. This includes indoor spaces and outdoor spaces when you are near others who are not in your immediate household  

It is important to note the distinctions.  I had some goofball email me that he was going to call the police on me because he saw me jogging at 5:30 am without a mask.  I guess I could have infected an owl if he chose to land on my head

LOL Mary,

As long as we are not in a dog park and walking on quiet streets we don’t have to wear a mask either as long as we there are no people.  We both have one in our coat pockets “in case”.

Interesting on your Louisiana Health Department mandate as here in Canada we’ve been told to wear a 3 layer mask at the minimum since November (or was it before that?  The days just slip away).  A scarf would never cut it here 😉 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

nteresting on you Louisiana Health Department mandate as here in Canada we’ve been told to wear a 3 layer mask at the minimum since November.  A scarf would never cut it he

I agree, maybe it hasn't been updated in a long time.  The studies I have read said that anything short of a mask designed specifically to block disease transmission is not adequate or desirable - that includes scarves and other "fashion masks", I think they call them "gators"

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Certainly better than the restaurants here (when we're allowed to have indoor dining) that just put up barriers between tables a couple feet apart.

You could easily have the back of your chair a foot (or less) from the balcony divider, and a cabin neighbor with his/her chair a foot from the same divider, or for that matter both people standing next to the divider, so much for the 6 foot distancing. I would certainly want to be on the upwind side of said divider! There is certainly air movement on both sides and above and below the dividers. They are designed for privacy, not to seal off airflow. I know I'm presenting what may be an extreme possibility, but one that would exist nonetheless.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mandalay1903 said:

... we haven't been sick once, ...

I've noticed that too.  

Makes me wonder how much of all of this we will keep doing even after it's not a COVID need to do so ...

- Joel

48 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I stand corrected.  However, since I live in a high rise condo in an urban area, the mandate applies to all my activities outside my condo.  The mask has become a fact of life; I don't even notice it any more.

55 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Agree.

And if people were kicking up a fuss years ago about the potential for inhaling second-hand smoke outdoors on a balcony, I don't see how there is much of an argument to be made about COVID (particularly if "downstream").

2 hours ago, mame42 said:

I stand corrected.  However, since I live in a high rise condo in an urban area, the mandate applies to all my activities outside my condo.  The mask has become a fact of life; I don't even notice it any more.

Happy to help, I hope it helps you a bit.  Following the protocol is not that hard as long as we don’t complicate it.  I have no problem, it seems easy.  I would love if masks became a permanent feature on air travel and hand washing became an ingrained habit. 

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Happy to help, I hope it helps you a bit.  Following the protocol is not that hard as long as we don’t complicate it.  I have no problem, it seems easy.  I would love if masks became a permanent feature on air travel and hand washing became an ingrained habit. 

There is absolute value in mask wearing  while this virus is prevalent  in society .However , please remember that there are some people who find it harder to breath  when wearing the mask . I wear both a mask & a shield when in public spaces & I too find it harder to breath ;but ,I do know it   necessary now with covid & the variants of covid