CDC Requires Masks on Ships

Crazy For Cats

9 hours ago, kazu said:

I’m curious on your take on wearing masks on the balconies.  To me, my balcony is a private space (unless I invite someone and then yes, you would need to mask).  Otherwise you’re outdoors and more than 6’ apart.

I’m not saying you’re wrong and we are both speculating but if we are in code yellow here (which I would assume the ships are treating this as) then masks are not required outdoors as long as you are physically distanced.  It will be interesting as things develop, for sure.

Yes and no because in most places you have balconies on either side where if you are at the balcony you could be in close proximity with someone on a neighboring balcony, so not totally private space.

• Like 1

We are hoping that with most people taking the vaccines  & with Big Parma working on   boosters or new vaccines to include the variant strains  that we won't need masks on cruise ships   . Because if masks were required to cruise ,i know we would cancel what we have booked .Our reason it would be very uncomfortable to dine or drink in public spaces   or work  out in the gym (hard to breathe ) or use the swimming pool  .Thus ,we are hoping that with most people getting vaccinated &  with up to date vaccines ,cruising will go back to their normal 

We can easily substitute  going to state &  our National Parks where space between people is not a issue  . The Beauty of our country is in these parks  & since we have the Senior National Passes  we can go in & out at will  in the National Parks

Hotels are  keeping up to date on sanitizing protocols  ,so less concern there & we bring along our own  wipes  for added protection . We do not mind  wearing the mask to get our  breakfast food & bringing it to our room . We stay in  either hilton home wood suites or Marriott suites with kitchen facilities  so we can shop as we do at home  & or bring in  restaurant food

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We are hoping that with most people taking the vaccines  & with Big Parma working on   boosters or new vaccines to include the variant strains  that we won't need masks on cruise ships   . Because if masks were required to cruise ,i know we would cancel what we have booked .Our reason it would be very uncomfortable to dine or drink in public spaces   or work  out in the gym (hard to breathe ) or use the swimming pool  .Thus ,we are hoping that with most people getting vaccinated &  with up to date vaccines ,cruising will go back to their normal 

I would expect that you will not see any relaxing of masks in public areas on cruise ship until the infection is considered to be under control in a given country or area.  Something that I would not count on in 2021. 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 4:05 PM, QueenofEverything said:

Same with us.  We had a horrible cough and felt terrible.  It lasted 2 weeks.  We were both diagnosed with bronchitis (which neither of us has ever had), but I have had my suspicions that it was covid.  I have never been sick like that. It was awful

I almost did not chime in here, but i hear this a lot, and not just on Cruise Critic; people thinking that they already had Covid. Trust me, you would have known.  Bronchitis is Bronchitis; a contagious virus, and not a lot of fun. People were not masking or distancing even when the Corona Virus was announced at the end of January. I would think that you would have been tested for a virus and tested positive for SARS if you had Covid. Masking, distancing and washing is always a good policy when you are traveling with that many people using the same spaces. It will not bother to mask. 

May we all be ready for a good cruise and be healthy, and happy and take measures to keep eachother healthy as well. 

13 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

... if masks were required to cruise ,i know we would cancel what we have booked .....(hard to breathe ) ......we are hoping that with most people getting vaccinated &  with up to date vaccines ,cruising will go back to their normal 

...i am sorry to hear that. Honestly, i have to wear a mask 8 hrs a day at work, and it is not that bad. I can take it off when i am alone, or eating. Just be careful and take precautions and things will get better, i promise. did you get your vaccines yet?

Happy Cruising, and see you on board one day, I hope.. 

2 hours ago, tuolumne couple said:

...i am sorry to hear that. Honestly, i have to wear a mask 8 hrs a day at work, and it is not that bad. I can take it off when i am alone, or eating. Just be careful and take precautions and things will get better, i promise. did you get your vaccines yet?

Happy Cruising, and see you on board one day, I hope.. 

We are both  82 with underlying medical conditions .  Yes for us it is harder to breath   with the masks . in addition to masks we wear a plastic shield in the stores or doctors offices .We can not be too careful  .  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We are both  82 with underlying medical conditions .  Yes for us it is harder to breath   with the masks . in addition to masks we wear a plastic shield in the stores or doctors offices .We can not be too careful  .  

82 and still going to the gym and swimming, how great is that? I applaud you. i hope i am still as vivacious at your age. take care, keep up the good work, and hope to see you on board!

28 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Will this be the same on Europe Cruising ??

The EU states have also been requiring masks on cruise ships when one is not socially distant and reports indicate that they are enforcing it.  Do not see any reason they would drop the requirement before the US does.  If anything they tend to be stricter on restrictions.

Just now, nocl said:

The EU states have also been requiring masks on cruise ships when one is not socially distant and reports indicate that they are enforcing it.  Do not see any reason they would drop the requirement before the US does.  If anything they tend to be stricter on restrictions.

Thanks for the info ..

On 1/31/2021 at 9:33 AM, KirkNC said:

Even if cruising gets up and running it appears that it will be a very different experience from what it was.  

I suspect everything will be a very different experience from what it was.
Many things, especially travel, have never returned to what was ‘normal’ before 911. The pandemic is a much bigger, longer lasting, global deal leaving a far larger swath of death and destruction around the globe. While things will slack off hugely in time, I never expect to see the world  completely as it was pre-2020 again.

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957

On 1/30/2021 at 7:39 PM, fatcat04 said:

All that said, no cruising for us until vaccine, period, full stop. 

Thats our take on this too. No long distance travel and no vacations until we get things back to something approaching normal. 

• Like 1

If masks are required even if vaccinated, we will give up cruising. Sorry, but we won't do it. We're fine with mask wearing as a temporary, necessary requirement but if it becomes "the new normal", count us out. The same goes if it applies to shopping, concerts, etc. I'm ok with a mask for an hour or so while shopping, after that I start having breathing issues.
No way we can see doing this on a cruise ship for 2-3 weeks.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, tuolumne couple said:

I almost did not chime in here, but i hear this a lot, and not just on Cruise Critic; people thinking that they already had Covid. Trust me, you would have known. 

I'd like to trust you but supposedly you can have Covid and not even know it (asymptomatic) or, it can be so bad it is fatal. Logic says anything in between is also possible.

38 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

I'd like to trust you but supposedly you can have Covid and not even know it (asymptomatic) or, it can be so bad it is fatal. Logic says anything in between is also possible.

except for the loss of taste and smell, i suppose you are right. anything is always possible. 

2 hours ago, tuolumne couple said:

except for the loss of taste and smell, i suppose you are right. anything is always possible. 

That was indeed a stark departure from any cold/flu/bug of any kind I have ever had before. The loss of taste and smell was immediate, total, and absolutely uncanny. And it is a persistent problem. Dh and I both still do not smell or taste things correctly. Dh actually still can not smell much of anything now a month later, which sucks! I really hope this is indeed temporary. 

6 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

That was indeed a stark departure from any cold/flu/bug of any kind I have ever had before. The loss of taste and smell was immediate, total, and absolutely uncanny. And it is a persistent problem. Dh and I both still do not smell or taste things correctly. Dh actually still can not smell much of anything now a month later, which sucks! I really hope this is indeed temporary. 

i am so happy that you and your spouse have recovered. My co-worker still cannot smell and she recovered in July. I feel if we all mask, wash, distance and vaccinate, we will all be on the road to some sort of normalcy. i would have never guessed i would live during a pandemic. wishing you and yours the best. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TriumphGuy said:

If masks are required even if vaccinated, we will give up cruising. Sorry, but we won't do it. We're fine with mask wearing as a temporary, necessary requirement but if it becomes "the new normal", count us out. The same goes if it applies to shopping, concerts, etc. I'm ok with a mask for an hour or so while shopping, after that I start having breathing issues.
No way we can see doing this on a cruise ship for 2-3 weeks.

IMO masks will be required for a while, perhaps 1-2 years.  I anticipate that some will continue to wear masks well beyond that time frame when traveling.  I know I will never board a plane without one again.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

IMO masks will be required for a while, perhaps 1-2 years.  I anticipate that some will continue to wear masks well beyond that time frame when traveling.  I know I will never board a plane without one again.

My hope is that masks on planes will be acceptable indefinitely.  Prior to this it was not accepted widely in the US.   

5 hours ago, KirkNC said:

I only fly when there is no alternative (like to/from a cruiseport I can't drive to), but yes, I will wear a mask when flying. I ALWAYS catch something after flying, usually a nasty cold.
It won't be easy on a long flight, but it is what it is.