Jump to content

Norwegian Sun 11 night Bangkok to Singapore 2023, best things to do / see? TIA


Recommended Posts

So @4daughters I'm planning the same cruise (generally) on the Sun in February 2022.  I've had the life experience of being stationed in Thailand, and working in Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, and Singapore among other South East Asian cities.

 

First, plan on arriving in Bangkok about 3 days before you sail out.  You can easily spend a day or two seeing the sights of Bangkok and surrounds, and another day at the markets, especially if you have a weekend day before your cruise.  The Chatuchak Weekend Market (https://www.chatuchakmarket.org) is the largest weekend market in the world and there are half a dozen or more night markets.  Clothing markets abound and you can buy some of the same items they export for a fraction of the cost - don't forget to bargain aggressively.  Take a ride on a "long-tail boat" on the Chaophraya River and visit the floating market.  Treat yourself to a 5-star hotel as room costs are very affordable.  The Laem Chabang port is about two hours from central Bangkok and traffic can be tough in the city.  If your itinerary allows, go to Pattaya Beach the day before you sail and enjoy the beaches, sights, food and nightlife there and you'll be just 30 minutes from the port.  On the other end of the cruise, plan on two days in Singapore to see all of the sights there.  The hop-on/off bus is a good way to see the city, then revisit sites you want to spend more time at.

 

Both cities have great metro systems; BTS in Bangkok will sell you a day card for unlimited rides, which is a real bargain.  Singapore is a rich blend of Chinese and Western culture and very safe; be sure to have dinner in Chinatown.  Where else will you be stopping?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, 4daughters said:

Just booked😀
Norwegian Sun 11 night Bangkok to Singapore 2023, best things to do / see? TIA

 

Looks like you have booked the sailing on Feb 6, 2023. A roll call has already been created by your fellow cruisers and you can join in to get the information or perhaps sharing some self-organized tours with them.

 

 https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2747869-norwegian-sun-february-06-17-2023-asia-from-bangkok-to-singapore/

 

 

This is a great itinerary and you will enjoy it....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 4daughters said:

Just booked😀
Norwegian Sun 11 night Bangkok to Singapore 2023, best things to do / see? TIA

 

 

Whatever you do, fon't lose Tia, she will bd mad if you leave her at any port alone!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


We did a Singapore to Hong Kong in 2018.    I attached a link to the review I did at the time (I hope it works, it’s hit and miss when I copy and paste on my iPad).


Singapore, Bangkok and Ko Sumai (not sure if you stop there) are in this review.  The other ports I’m pretty sure will not be relevant to your cruise but you can just scroll through those.

 

Hope this gives you some ideas.  Loved this holiday!  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/30/2021 at 5:10 PM, 4daughters said:

Just booked😀
Norwegian Sun 11 night Bangkok to Singapore 2023, best things to do / see? TIA

My husband and I just booked this cruise as well.  Have never been to Asia before.  The itinerary looks amazing! Have been on several cruises but have never booked airfare through the cruise line until now.  We'd much prefer to book our own flights but with second person flying free promotion for this exotic cruise we decided to go for it.  Hopefully there will not be any issues.  We are choosing to arrive 2 days prior to the cruise.

 

We have been on the Sun once before back in 2016 for a Panama Canal cruise which was prior to its refurbishment.  Looking forward to being on the updated Sun!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did the Singapore to Hong Kong on the Jewel in 2018, was a great cruise with many of the same ports.  I also encourage everyone to stay at least two days pre and post cruise in the cities.  Ko Samui was  the only problem, as there were only three shore excursions through NCL and all were sold out before we ever got on the ship.  They had eliminated all tours involving elephants, so we missed out 

seeing trained monkeys pick some of the 3 million coconuts harvested annually.  The changing  of the tides also Interfered with the boats getting back to the Jewel and leaving was delayed by 2 hours while many spent 90 minutes or more waiting on the dock to get back to the ship.  We enjoyed eating wonderful mangoes while walking the town and getting back to the ship early.                                                            You will be stopping at some great places, a cruise of a lifetime.  We are looking Into taking the cruise which gets the Sun to Bangkok, leaving from Hong Kong and making 2 stops in the Philippines on the way.  You might consider b2b, we are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/30/2021 at 8:49 PM, HuliHuli said:

So @4daughters I'm planning the same cruise (generally) on the Sun in February 2022.  I've had the life experience of being stationed in Thailand, and working in Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, and Singapore among other South East Asian cities.

 

First, plan on arriving in Bangkok about 3 days before you sail out.  You can easily spend a day or two seeing the sights of Bangkok and surrounds, and another day at the markets, especially if you have a weekend day before your cruise.  The Chatuchak Weekend Market (https://www.chatuchakmarket.org) is the largest weekend market in the world and there are half a dozen or more night markets.  Clothing markets abound and you can buy some of the same items they export for a fraction of the cost - don't forget to bargain aggressively.  Take a ride on a "long-tail boat" on the Chaophraya River and visit the floating market.  Treat yourself to a 5-star hotel as room costs are very affordable.  The Laem Chabang port is about two hours from central Bangkok and traffic can be tough in the city.  If your itinerary allows, go to Pattaya Beach the day before you sail and enjoy the beaches, sights, food and nightlife there and you'll be just 30 minutes from the port.  On the other end of the cruise, plan on two days in Singapore to see all of the sights there.  The hop-on/off bus is a good way to see the city, then revisit sites you want to spend more time at.

 

Both cities have great metro systems; BTS in Bangkok will sell you a day card for unlimited rides, which is a real bargain.  Singapore is a rich blend of Chinese and Western culture and very safe; be sure to have dinner in Chinatown.  Where else will you be stopping?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We were on the same Singapore to Hong Kong trip as Mugtech in March 2019.  Highly recommend private or small van tours in Koh Samui and Saigon (Ho Chi Min City)  We found ours via Cruise Critic. 

 

We loved Singapore and were able to get around easily.  The supertrees light show at night is a must see.

 

The difficulties in Koh Samui were unique to our cruise.  It is a tender port and there were 3 ships in that day so not enough island tenders.  NCL ended up with the last docking spot with tide problems.  The elephant related excursions were cancelled because of poor treatment of the animals.  There is a reputable sanctuary on the island that a private tour could get you to.  We didn't know that at the time, but did see some elephants and monkeys on our private tour.

 

We didn't find Pattaya that appealing, but as noted it is much closer to the port than Bangkok.

 

The weather was crazy hot in Singapore, Bangkok, Koh Samui and Saigon.  Plan ahead the best you can.  A portable fan around my neck helped tremendously.

 

Edited by herdingdogmom
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 5:22 PM, darlak8 said:

@HuliHuli  Thanks for the great post about Bangkok, lots of useful information that I saved for the future.

So @darlak8 and @4daughters, allow me to add some information regarding another port on this itinerary, Kuala Lumpur (Port Klang), Malaysia.  This is a city that I have visited on numerous occasions and still have friends/work colleagues living there.  First, this is a Muslim majority country, but don't interpret that to meaning that it is in any way extremist.  Having spent considerable time in several Muslim countries around the world, Malaysia is one of my favorites.  Kuala Lumpur is very modern and to its strength is a blend of several cultures.  I have wandered this city day and night and found it quite safe, similar to Singapore.  They have an excellent metro system that is easy to navigate and quite affordable.  Taxis are equally available, though more expensive.  Pick up a metro map as soon as you arrive and if you just want to visit sites like Petronas Towers (I've been to the very top by invitation) the metro will get you there.  Around the base of the towers is KLCC Park (great place to walk) with lots of shops, hotels, restaurants, etc.  I've had many a great meal in that area overlooking the water features of that park.  Do go to the Central Market to shop for local souvenirs (some bargaining is done) or the market in Chinatown (where bargaining is expected).  Putrajaya City, the home of the Malaysian government, is a ways out of town, but not IMHO worth a tour.  While it is one of the most well planned and attractive seats of government I have visited, I only went there for meetings with Malaysian leaders.  The Jalan Alor area is great for "adventurous foodies," but mostly a night spot, so with a 5:00 PM embarkation, probably something you'll miss.

 

I hope this is helpful.  Smooth sailing, @HuliHuli.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, HuliHuli said:

So @darlak8 and @4daughters, allow me to add some information regarding another port on this itinerary, Kuala Lumpur (Port Klang), Malaysia. 

Thanks HuliHuli.  Your post is very thorough.  Been to KL a couple times and visited the "must-see" spots.  This time we'll stay in Port Klang at a spa and indulge in treatments all day long for a tiny fraction of the cost back home.  Anything in PK that's a "must-see"? 

 

On 2/1/2021 at 6:52 PM, deefer said:

We did a Singapore to Hong Kong in 2018.    I attached a link to the review I did at the time

Lots of nice pics.  Thanks for the time it took to post your report as you traveled.  I saved it and look forward to reading more.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/31/2021 at 12:49 PM, HuliHuli said:

Both cities have great metro systems; BTS in Bangkok will sell you a day card for unlimited rides, which is a real bargain.  Singapore is a rich blend of Chinese and Western culture and very safe; be sure to have dinner in Chinatown.  

 

Just to add to this, the buses and metro in Singapore are very easy to use (and you see more from the buses).  All take any Visa/Mastercard tap-to-pay credit/debit card from any country, no transit card needed.  When we were there in December 2019, we took many buses and metros each day, and got charged a total of only three Singapore dollars per day.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...