Good News - CDC issues mask order to (hopefully) allow cruising to resume!

ScratchTheRat

9 minutes ago, Vyhanek said:

.....Then the issue will be where can the ship go  because I can't see the islands or europe even Mexico allowing tourism when their own population is largely unvaccinated.....

There are already a ton of tourists going to Mexico for a land vacation from the U.S. at this point in time.

44 minutes ago, Vyhanek said:

Cruisers aren't going to be outdoors wearing masks.   They won't tolerate that.   People don't wear masks outside in New Hampshire, in Indiana, in Florida, in Maine.   These are the states Ive been too.   Tell me........Where besides NYC or sporting events are people wearing masks outdoors?     

The only way cruising will return is if passengers are fully vaccinated and show proof of vaccination.  I would think by the fall this would be very possible.   Then the issue will be where can the ship go  because I can't see the islands or europe even Mexico allowing tourism when their own population is largely unvaccinated.    The ships will have to go to the Caye's to begin.

We in the UK are. 

10 minutes ago, latserrof said:

California, partially. And much of the rest of the world.

I personally keep thanking all "the special people" who put their own desires above those that would be for the good of the community (for those who "don't get it...it's sarcasm).

2 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

We in the UK are. 

And a special thanks to the UK for sending yet another variant to the US.

In 100 years from now, when the world (if there is a world) looks back at this pandemic and the global  spread....it's all gonna be on "those who had to travel and those who had to get-together".  Why, why...is this so hard to see?

I'm out of this thread and this forum.  Too many people in LaLa Land.

33 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I personally keep thanking all "the special people" who put their own desires above those that would be for the good of the community (for those who "don't get it...it's sarcasm).

And a special thanks to the UK for sending yet another variant to the US.

In 100 years from now, when the world (if there is a world) looks back at this pandemic and the global  spread....it's all gonna be on "those who had to travel and those who had to get-together".  Why, why...is this so hard to see?

I'm out of this thread and this forum.  Too many people in LaLa Land.

In the U.K. we like to share, buy the way we didn’t produce it, we are an island.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Trimone said:

In the U.K. we like to share, buy the way we didn’t produce it, we are an island.

What does being an island have to do with anything?  It's a mutation, so it mutated within the existing population.  And it's doing the same in a number of places so there are multiple mutations that will again spread across the world as people continue to travel.  Hopefully the vaccines can handle them all.

1 hour ago, ScratchTheRat said:

We in the UK are. 

They may be in Cardiff but I don't think that's the case in most of the UK, the law requires masks in internal spaces, my experience is people remove them the moment they are in fresh air.

27 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

They may be in Cardiff but I don't think that's the case in most of the UK, the law requires masks in internal spaces, my experience is people remove them the moment they are in fresh air.

Why do you need a mask if out in the fresh air outside?  

2 hours ago, latserrof said:

California, partially. And much of the rest of the world.

Sadly our annual Thanksgiving stay in Newport Beach contradicts that.  The "boardwalk" on the Balboa Peninsula was busy as usual and I would estimate about 20% of the people walking, skating, cycling were wearing masks.  We would sit on our (narrow) patio facing the boardwalk and have hordes of maskless individuals within a couple of feet of us.  Major retailers like Ralph's, Von's, etc. had uniform mask wearing but anything smaller did not.  We went into the surf shop that we have been frequenting for years and found both the cashier and the customers without masks.  We asked why and the response was that it wasn't enforced.

6 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24289-cdc-order-to-require-passengers-to-wear-masks-on-ships.html

Here the CDC say as of midnight tomorrow, masks will be needed to be worn on all cruise ships. This is GOOD news in my opinion as it shows they are finding ways to get the cruise industry moving.

Soon ❤️

It has nothing to do with getting cruising back. It is a broad policy for all modes of transportation into or inside the US.

You will not be on a cruise ship out of a US port until the CDC says you can and that is going to be a long time from now. Norwegian isn't send all the crew members back home that are not needed for the fun of it.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

Honestly, the blanket CDC transportation regulation application to the cruise ships is not certain at this time; although I do firmly believe that the CDC will take the position that they can regulate the ships once they leave US waters if they intend to return to US waters to port.  This would be under the broad definition of general transportation "to or from" the US.

As I believed when the no sail order requirements were offered for public comment, prior to the issuance of the conditional sail order, they are starting to make these requirements be conditions of obtaining "pratique", or the health clearance any ship needs before getting cleared to enter US waters.  By tying this to the issuance of "pratique", they effectively extend their jurisdiction to foreign ship operations outside US waters.  A ship can either conform, and certify that masks were required during the entire voyage, and get pratique, or they can let the mask mandate lapse as soon as they leave US waters, and not get pratique.  So, the CDC is not mandating a requirement while outside US waters, but they are saying the choice is up to the ship, comply and enter US waters, or not comply and don't.

This order also does not apply simply to cruise ships, it applies to every ship, cargo or passenger.

As for this getting cruises moving, this is an additional requirement over and above the requirements of the Conditional Sail Order, which is what the cruise lines are currently stumbling over, so I don't see this mask mandate as changing anything with restarting cruises.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

The CDC regulations were for public transportation within the US and to/from the US.  The "Cruiseline Industry News" stretched it to include vacation cruises, because that's their job.

Maybe 100 years ago, when sailing to the US was still "the way" to get here (think Titanic, think Ellis Island) the mandate would have been relevant. 

Wrong, because the actual order does not mention cruise ships, but requires masks on all "conveyances" or "means of transport", and a cruise ship falls under both definitions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vyhanek said:

People don't wear masks outside in New Hampshire, in Indiana, in Florida, in Maine.   These are the states Ive been too.   Tell me........Where besides NYC or sporting events are people wearing masks outdoors?     

Well, I live in Maine, and most people do wear masks outside.  If walking alone along a street, they may take the mask off, but as soon as anyone becomes visible, the mask goes back on.  I see joggers early in the morning wearing masks.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Well, I live in Maine, and most people do wear masks outside.  If walking alone along a street, they may take the mask off, but as soon as anyone becomes visible, the mask goes back on.  I see joggers early in the morning wearing masks.

Good Lord....I guess it does get cold up there in the winter.

Edited by bucfan2
typo

In terms of whether masks are actually beneficial?? Back in April the WHO website noted that masks for those without specific training would likely do more harm than good due to bacterial contamination. I still don't know where the science for 'mask saves lives' came from, for the general public. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I just made a comment and then I noticed this. Really folks, how can we not see that this is crazy! 

20 minutes ago, winterbliss said:

In terms of whether masks are actually beneficial?? Back in April the WHO website noted that masks for those without specific training would likely do more harm than good due to bacterial contamination. I still don't know where the science for 'mask saves lives' came from, for the general public. 

Literally dozens of scientific studies and analyses. 

That April guidance you cite was amended less than 2 months later (and almost 8 months ago) to reflect:

WHO has updated its guidance to advise that to prevent COVID-19 transmission effectively in areas of community transmission, governments should encourage the general public to wear masks in specific situations and settings as part of a comprehensive approach to suppress SARS-CoV-2 transmission

People once thought the earth was flat.  Subsequent scientific observations debunked that theory and people adopted what is now, in most quarters, commonly accepted. 

Ergo, mask wearing was found to be beneficial. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

A quote from the article;

"Passengers may take the mask off to eat, drink or take medications for brief periods, as well as for communication purposes."

What constitutes "a brief period"?

Common sense.   Which means we're screwed.   And I just returned from a nightmare experience of a Sunday afternoon at Sam's Club.   It was elbow to elbow with people and many were maskless bozos.  As long as our collective behavior is like that, we aren't getting back to cruising any time soon.  My opinion.  

7 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24289-cdc-order-to-require-passengers-to-wear-masks-on-ships.html

Here the CDC say as of midnight tomorrow, masks will be needed to be worn on all cruise ships. This is GOOD news in my opinion as it shows they are finding ways to get the cruise industry moving.

Soon ❤️

From a cruising prospective it is interesting. But from our prospective meaningless as we still prohibited from entering U.S by travel ban no matter what regulations are in place.