Viking Expeditions Thread

emileg

6 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

This may be a foolish question, but is the Expedition experience one that a couple in their 70s can handle?

I would definitely say so.

My parents are also in their 70s and of average fitness and they have found it completely fine to handle.

I would say that viking handle everything that could potentially be strenuous.

There was a couple in their mid 80s on my activity yesterday. 

• Thanks 1

Overnight, we received an email from Viking that our February 14 Antarctic

expedition will originate and end in Miami, instead of Buenos Aires with charter flights direct from Miami to Ushuaia and back. Now the challenge of trying to cancel our non-refundable, but changeable, flights to and from Buenos Aires.

Edited by emileg

38 minutes ago, emileg said:

Overnight, we received an email from Viking that our February 14 Antarctic

expedition will originate and end in Miami, instead of Buenos Aires with charter flights direct from Miami to Ushuaia and back. Now the challenge of trying to cancel our non-refundable, but changeable, flights to and from Buenos Aires.

Thank goodness we used Viking air.  This is going to be a nightmare for many people

Well, it turns out that I was able to book round-trip flights on United from Newark to Miami. United honored Future Travel Credit from two canceled flights from two other canceled cruises. We wound up paying an additional $500 for two people for round-trip domestic first class. Not bad.

From what I read, American will provide future travel credit for canceling our round-trip to Buenos Aires, as long as we use the credits within one year. These credits will easily cover our flight to Tel Aviv as part of the extension prior to the Nile cruise on the Osiris.

Then we can fly back from Cairo using 70K American points per person for Flagship business. Figuring we are getting 10% of the Octantis fare applied to the Nile cruise plus a previous $2400 for the January 12 cancellation, I think we are making out fairly well under circumstances.

BTW, my wife was ecstatic about the flight change, since her biggest fear was acquiring Covid during our three day stay in Buenos Aires.

After a rather stressful day making the flight changes, I needed to get excited again about the expedition. We watched this show that aired on Janaury17 about the history of the Octantis. Now I am reinvigorated.

https://viking.tv/tv/this-week-on-viking-tv/mondays/viking-octantis-behind-the-scenes-of-our-new-expedition-ship

Edited by emileg
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, emileg said:

Well, it turns out that I was able to book round-trip flights on United from Newark to Miami. United honored Future Travel Credit from two canceled flights from two other canceled cruises. We wound up paying an additional $500 for two people for round-trip domestic first class. Not bad.

From what I read, American will provide future travel credit for canceling our round-trip to Buenos Aires, as long as we use the credits within one year. These credits will easily cover our flight to Tel Aviv as part of the extension prior to the Nile cruise on the Osiris.

Then we can fly back from Cairo using 70K American points per person for Flagship business. Figuring we are getting 10% of the Octantis fare applied to the Nile cruise plus a previous $2400 for the January 12 cancellation, I think we are making out fairly well under circumstances.

BTW, my wife was ecstatic about the flight change, since her biggest fear was acquiring Covid during our three day stay in Buenos Aires.

After a rather stressful day making the flight changes, I needed to get excited again about the expedition. We watched this show that aired on Janaury17 about the history of the Octantis. Now I am reinvigorated.

https://viking.tv/tv/this-week-on-viking-tv/mondays/viking-octantis-behind-the-scenes-of-our-new-expedition-ship

Looks like you did a great job of making a silk purse from a sow's ear. For all the pain this pandemic has imposed on us, I've been impressed by the way it has pushed us into new territory. And thanks for sharing the link to the video. We will be on the Polaris this Summer and who knows maybe we'll do the Antarctic on either the Polaris or the Octantis at some point in the not distant future. As I watched the video, I got kind of teary. Am sure you will have a great time!

And yes - airlines like United have really good cancellation procedures in place right now. I had to cancel a flight last September for a meeting near SFO. I got a future flight credit good through Dec 2022 which I used part of last December and have enough left over to more than cover a meeting this June and maybe even part of a meeting in September. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, emileg said:

Nice work...wishing you the best on this adventure!  

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 12:17 AM, Hazard10 said:

I have attached photos below of the main areas

Thank you very much indeed for the pictures of The Hide. What a lovely cosy space. The description "wildlife viewing area" really doesn't do it justice does it?

I am still curious as to how it is accessed. Does the stairwell run down from the explorers lounge to deck one? It would not appear so from the deck plan.

Also, I believe there is some sort of atrium or open area between decks in the centre of the ship. Is that correct? If so some photographs of that area would be wonderful too.

Enjoy what time you have left on the ship, I can't wait to see her for myself 🙂

Photopro2 absolutely agree with your comment about the The Hide. The pictures make it look so inviting. In looking at the deck plans, there doesn't seem to be a stairwell for it but i'm guessing the stairwell in the picture might be for the area. Can't wait to see if it is a private secluded place to hide out or if it ends up being overrun with too many people. 

Emileg, I was wondering if Viking let you know if your flight was nonstop to Ushuaia from Miami or if you were layovering somewhere. The commercial flights all seem to involve a huge layover somewhere along the way. 

• Like 1

I can't figure out what I'm missing in the pictures.  I don't see anything about the Hide except the picture of the sign. Maybe I can't see them all?  I thought those pictures with the couches were the Living Room?  I see the Explorers Lounge, Exploration Central, that big theater thing which I think is The Aula, and a bunch of couches and chairs that looks like the Living Room on the Ocean Ships.  Also, do we know what "The Shelter" is, which is an area in the bow on Deck 3, two decks above The Hide?  

51 minutes ago, miami mama said:

I was wondering if Viking let you know if your flight was nonstop to Ushuaia from Miami

I think I can answer that. Viking is chartering a plane to ferry passengers between Miami and Ushuaia so it will be a direct flight.

13 minutes ago, amyr said:

I thought those pictures with the couches were the Living Room?

The pictures with the "stove" in the middle of the room is certainly The Hide. In the background of one of them you can see the distinctive angled windows which are visible low down towards the bow section on exterior photographs of the ship.

I believe the shelter is more what you would expect from the name, a partly enclosed area with windows facing forward, just aft of the open bow deck.

7 minutes ago, photopro2 said:

The pictures with the "stove" in the middle of the room is certainly The Hide. In the background of one of them you can see the distinctive angled windows which are visible low down towards the bow section on exterior photographs of the ship.

I believe the shelter is more what you would expect from the name, a partly enclosed area with windows facing forward, just aft of the open bow deck.

Interesting.  So, the windows we see here in the inside photo are the angled windows we see down in the hull?  I can also see what is most certainly the shelter on this rendering as well.  I will be curious to see what it looks like inside.  

Screen Shot 2022-01-22 at 11.57.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-22 at 11.57.40 AM.png

7 hours ago, photopro2 said:

Thank you very much indeed for the pictures of The Hide. What a lovely cosy space. The description "wildlife viewing area" really doesn't do it justice does it?

I am still curious as to how it is accessed. Does the stairwell run down from the explorers lounge to deck one? It would not appear so from the deck plan.

Also, I believe there is some sort of atrium or open area between decks in the centre of the ship. Is that correct? If so some photographs of that area would be wonderful too.

Enjoy what time you have left on the ship, I can't wait to see her for myself 🙂

Yes it is lovely space. Most evenings there have been talks in the hide from experts on board of their personal accounts. I have been to all of them, only around 15-20 people have been to them each time. I would recommend going. (Attached a picture of one of the talks).

During that talk I was looking out the window and saw 2 whales breaching directly to the side of the person speaking. It was almost a magical experience!

The Hide is somewhat cut off. You can get to it from the explorers range. The stairs at the front of the ship runs from level 5 to 1 or you can also use the lift. 

You can't get to the Hide from level 1 mid ship as it only seems to be staff only areas between the front and middle of the ship on level 1. 

All other floors level 2-5  you can walk along the whole length of the ship inside. Whereas level 1 is cut off into sections.

Front of level has the 1, middle has the restaurants and the back has the hanger. (Pic attached)

I can take pictures of mid ship areas later.

20220122_151752.jpg

20220122_151058.jpg

1 hour ago, photopro2 said:

I think I can answer that. Viking is chartering a plane to ferry passengers between Miami and Ushuaia so it will be a direct flight.

Yes absolutely correct 🙂

It's an outside but sheltered bit on level 3 front ship. Pictures attached!

20220122_150742.jpg

20220122_150707.jpg

20220122_150605.jpg

20220122_150701.jpg

3 hours ago, Hazard10 said:

Yes absolutely correct 🙂

20220122_150742.jpg

20220122_150707.jpg

20220122_150605.jpg

20220122_150701.jpg

You're the authority for sure. As I wrote in posting #333, 

Just read on the Cruise mapper site that The Hide is one of three wildlife viewing areas (www.cruisemapper.com/deckplans/Viking-Octantis-1805).  The other two are called The Shelter and The Bow.

Thanks for confirming what I read. 

Really loved to seeing the pictures from Hazard10 and would love to see more, especially of the cabins and dining areas. Any helpful information about the ship would be great. I hope you have had a wonderful time and were able to create fantastic memories. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, miami mama said:

Really loved to seeing the pictures from Hazard10 and would love to see more, especially of the cabins and dining areas. Any helpful information about the ship would be great. I hope you have had a wonderful time and were able to create fantastic memories. 

Absolutely!  Love all your photos Hazard10!  Hope you are enjoying your cruise.  We are living vicariously through you as we await our time to board.  

• Like 1

Just talked to Viking for 45 minutes.   We are on the 2/25 sailing and were told our MVJ account may not be unlock until the end of next week. This was based on an internal Viking memo as of 2:30 this afternoon.   Also there seems to be a lot of confusion as to the Covid test required for Viking for checking in on 2/24 in Miami and the test needed for entering Argentina on 2/26.  

• Thanks 1

I feel for the TAs.  They are as confused as we are.   I was told that MVJ would be unlocked by this Friday. I was able to find out they changed our flight. Would be nice to see it on my viking journey 

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2022 at 10:27 AM, Hazard10 said:

Yes absolutely correct 🙂

20220122_150742.jpg

20220122_150707.jpg

20220122_150605.jpg

20220122_150701.jpg

On 1/22/2022 at 10:27 AM, Hazard10 said:

Yes absolutely correct 🙂

20220122_150742.jpg

20220122_150707.jpg

20220122_150605.jpg

20220122_150701.jpg

Good Morning/ Evening, sounds like your expedition is going well.  Since you're on the ship and we're not yet, could you do me a favor and report back to this board what the hours of the gym are?   We're hoping to be able to be in the gym early in the a.m.  Any restrictions/ limits on using the gym?   Thanks, Fran

On 1/29/2022 at 6:26 PM, f.razmus said:

Good Morning/ Evening, sounds like your expedition is going well.  Since you're on the ship and we're not yet, could you do me a favor and report back to this board what the hours of the gym are?   We're hoping to be able to be in the gym early in the a.m.  Any restrictions/ limits on using the gym?   Thanks, Fran

If I had to guess I think it was 6am - 8pm from what I can remember. 

10 people in the gym at once. I went 4 times during the trip and only ever saw one other person using it so that's not an issue!

No restrictions although it was closed for a few hours on the drake's passage due to rough seas.

You need to book the spa area with the pool, snow room, sauna, steam room etc either via phone from your stateroom or at the spa reception. I used it most days and never had an issue with numbers. 

There is a limit on how many in the pool but again never an issue.

People are always busy with shore landing or activities, having breakfast/lunch/dinner or stuff like lecturers. 

• Like 2

On 1/21/2022 at 2:03 AM, Hazard10 said:

I would definitely say so.

My parents are also in their 70s and of average fitness and they have found it completely fine to handle.

I would say that viking handle everything that could potentially be strenuous.

There was a couple in their mid 80s on my activity yesterday. 

So how those of us that are extra fluffy and in my case extra tall and some balance issues.  Just how hard is it to get in the Rib/zodiacs and more importantly how hard is it to got out once onshore?  Would love to do this cruise and it would certainly be inspiration to loose some weight and increase our fitness level but given I had to use my hiking sticks to climb the Great Wall worry that I won’t be able to really take advantage of being in Antartica. 

TIA for your and anyone else’s advice!

7 hours ago, Hazard10 said:

If I had to guess I think it was 6am - 8pm from what I can remember. 

10 people in the gym at once. I went 4 times during the trip and only ever saw one other person using it so that's not an issue!

No restrictions although it was closed for a few hours on the drake's passage due to rough seas.

You need to book the spa area with the pool, snow room, sauna, steam room etc either via phone from your stateroom or at the spa reception. I used it most days and never had an issue with numbers. 

There is a limit on how many in the pool but again never an issue.

People are always busy with shore landing or activities, having breakfast/lunch/dinner or stuff like lecturers. 

Hazard 10  Thank you so much for this information.  I'm accustomed to exercising 2 hours a day and would prefer to not give that up or I will come back from the trip being a "gordita" ( in AZ that's a term for a fat woman).  

I've been wondering how time aboard the Octantis feels, compared to time aboard a Viking Ocean ship. Obviously Antarctica itself is completely different, and there are features of the ship oriented around the polar experience. But while on board, is it like a mini Viking Ocean cruise?

Apparently much of this is discussed on a private F B group, but to join you have to say that you are booked on an Antarctica trip, which I'm not. It seems like we need more ways to isolate ourselves from each other...

• Like 1