Jump to content

Viking Expeditions Thread


emileg
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Good idea going in early. Even with a one-legger, it is a looonng flight. When we went, we weren’t using a TA so we booked the Cruise Line hotel. Very nice and right downtown area. Did their Tango night and it was well done. Show Demo’d how the Tango started and evolved, and good dinner…..Argentine Beef and Malbec!

 

Wandered the shopping district and enjoyed….watch the pickpockets. Two men started following us so we stopped at an ice cream shop and paused there while they tried to look non-pickypockety and gave up. I use a travel vest with zipper pockets all over the place.My wife gets a kick out of watching me go through everyone of them looking for whatever. 

 

Enjoy! Hopefully, people get the shots more and we get this under control. It’s now the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated. Oh well.

 

den

Pickpocketing seems the sport of South America.  On the circumnavigation of SA right before covid reared its ugly head, every port talk included warnings about leaving valuables onboard and being wary of pickpockets.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been looking at cruises to Antarctica for at least 15 years, and when Viking rolled out the plans and drawings for Octantis and Polaris, I knew we'd finally found 'the one' and so we've booked for December of 2022.   I can't wait for the first cruises to start so we can get some actual pictures, reviews, and videos.  

 

In looking at the deck plans, I've noticed that the ships don't appear to have a large MDR, so does it seem like we'll take most of our evening meals in the World Cafe, which is the buffet up on Deck 5?  I wouldn't mind since the Viking buffets at dinner on the Ocean ships are excellent and quick.  

 

The deck plan for Deck 1 shows Manfredi's and a similar sized restaurant called simply The Restaurant, which is the name for MDR on the Ocean vessels.  There's a big gray space where the Ocean ships have their MDR.  I wonder if that's galley, or they just haven't really worked it out yet?  These are some of the things I can't wait to uncover in the coming months 🙂  

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 9.26.45 AM.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2021 at 9:16 AM, Denny01 said:

...Wandered the shopping district and enjoyed….watch the pickpockets. Two men started following us so we stopped at an ice cream shop and paused there while they tried to look non-pickypockety and gave up. I use a travel vest with zipper pockets all over the place.My wife gets a kick out of watching me go through everyone of them looking for whatever. ...

 

den

Here's a pickpocket story for you:  In 2001, days before 9/11, we had a Princess cruise to Barcelona. Both as a lecturer and entertainer, they had Bob Arno, a world-renowned pickpocket expert aboard. We learned how to spot and deal with pickpockets. We were targeted four times in four hours on Las Ramblas in Barcelona, that we dealt with successfully, but stressfully.

 

Fast forward to 2005 for a ten-day stay in Buenos Aires. I was on guard almost the entire time. I was confident I had the skills to prevent my pocket being picked and had no incidents. But that was until I went into  Teatro Colon to buy tickets for the opera gala. After purchasing the tickets, we got into a cab and my wallet was missing. I have no recollection of anyone near me, but it never occurred to me that the opera house was a vulnerable venue. Fortunately, my passport was in the hotel safe.

 

American Express issued me a new card within two hours after reporting the theft. Chase cards were waiting for me when I got home. The hardest part was getting a replacement New Jersey driver's license.

 

One lesson: Be prepared. But, there is another side to this argument. Is it worth being stressed out in anticipation the entire time while in public for an unlikely probability?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are getting into pickpocking! I always cary one or 2 cards and my wife carries different ones; that way we aren’t in trouble loosing cards for use. 

 

Another story: In Venice…surprise surprise that place has pickpockets! Crossing a bridge full of people I saw two young men going the opposite direction and I watched them closely. They bumped me but I had my travel vest with my wallet in my inside zipped pocket. No issues.

 

Walked into a shop and dickered with the staff on a nice map and pulled my wallet out to show them how much I’d pay; they wanted more so I put my wallet in my front pocket knowing they’d change when I started to step out. the young men were inside but I don’t remember them being near me. As I started to step out the staff said ‘OK’. I smiled and reached for my non-existing wallet! I jumped out and no way could I spot those guys. Reported it to the police and they just looked at me and had me fill out a report and that was that. the pocket wasn’t ripped or anything…just wallet gone.

 

we’d had our cc’s copied front and back and left with mother who we contacted and they took care of it for us. This was when it was harder to take care of such stuff in Europe. 

 

In the Navy, we’d carry a very small wallet in our socks with our ID, some cash, card and ship pass. Just didn’t get our shoes polished!!

 

den

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, gbldcl said:

Even Rick Steves, who lectures on pickpockets, got nailed in Barcelona.

 

https://bicycletouringpro.com/20-common-street-scams-every-world-traveler-needs-to-know-about/

 

True, but Rick admits he wasn't using his moneybelt.  We always size up cities, but usually wear a moneybelt for cities with a history of pickpockets.  Only a small amount of running money in a wallet we don't mind losing, the rest in the moneybelt. We also each carry one different credit card.  Even then, on our last trip to Athens, a couple of guys did a maneuver on the metro that attempted to bump and separate my husband from me.  He wasn't afraid to shove right back and we were able to move to the center of the car.  Once in Sao Paulo, Brazil, my husband and I were walking with our Brazilian friends.  He had his cheap wallet in his front pocket.  He felt someone reaching in the front pocket and he literally yanked the guy to the ground.  The pickpocket starting crying out that we had accosted him and threatened to call the police.  My husband said he should call the police, he'd be happy to describe what happened.  Of course, it didn't hurt that our Brazilian friends started shouting at the pickpocket in Portuguese,  I think he figured he had picked on the wrong group.  He slunk away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

OK, another pickpocket story:

 

I was on shore leave on the Philippines and we were walking back to the Air Station gate through a crowd. I got bumped and I knew I’d been ‘worked’. I had my wallet in my sock Navy-style but had my glasses in my shirt pocket. I padded it and it was gone.

 

I spun around and there was a young local kid standing there just looking at my glasses very perplexed since they weren’t even sunglasses, they were prescriptions. I grabbed them and reached back to give him a punch….my buddy, a Marine Lt, grabbed me, picked me up by the waist, and spun me around…he was only 5’2”, but he had No Neck and was 5’2” across the shoulders! He said; “Got your glasses?”. I said ‘Yup”, and he said “Don’t touch the locals, just walk on to the gate!”….Great advice. 

 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As you may recall, I mentioned that the My Viking Journey is still listed as "Coming Soon" for the Antarctic Explorer cruises. I am curious whether My Viking Journey is available yet for other itineraries, such as Great Lakes, etc. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2021 at 9:36 AM, amyr said:

I've been looking at cruises to Antarctica for at least 15 years, and when Viking rolled out the plans and drawings for Octantis and Polaris, I knew we'd finally found 'the one' and so we've booked for December of 2022.   I can't wait for the first cruises to start so we can get some actual pictures, reviews, and videos.  

 

In looking at the deck plans, I've noticed that the ships don't appear to have a large MDR, so does it seem like we'll take most of our evening meals in the World Cafe, which is the buffet up on Deck 5?  I wouldn't mind since the Viking buffets at dinner on the Ocean ships are excellent and quick.  

 

The deck plan for Deck 1 shows Manfredi's and a similar sized restaurant called simply The Restaurant, which is the name for MDR on the Ocean vessels.  There's a big gray space where the Ocean ships have their MDR.  I wonder if that's galley, or they just haven't really worked it out yet?  These are some of the things I can't wait to uncover in the coming months 🙂  

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 9.26.45 AM.png

 

Yes, the big gray space is for the galley and possibly other ship operations behind that, such as food storage. The laboratory and the hanger are aft of that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, emileg said:

As you may recall, I mentioned that the My Viking Journey is still listed as "Coming Soon" for the Antarctic Explorer cruises. I am curious whether My Viking Journey is available yet for other itineraries, such as Great Lakes, etc. Thanks.

No, I added my Great Lakes Acct # and it told me It’s ‘Coming Soon’, and it’s still under construction. Nothing there.

 

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I attended a Viking travel lecture tonight and enjoyed. I joked that they gave us a light dinner, and I should have taken my wife to the locat 5-guys and spent $15 instead of attending a Viking cruise lecture and spending $15,000!!

 

The one thing they said was both Viking Expedition ships are ahead of schedule. 

 

Den

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2021 at 9:06 PM, Denny01 said:

I attended a Viking travel lecture tonight and enjoyed. I joked that they gave us a light dinner, and I should have taken my wife to the locat 5-guys and spent $15 instead of attending a Viking cruise lecture and spending $15,000!!

 

The one thing they said was both Viking Expedition ships are ahead of schedule. 

 

Den

 

Den, would you please post a link to the lecture, if it is still available for streaming. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, emileg said:

 

Den, would you please post a link to the lecture, if it is still available for streaming. Thanks.

It wasn’t streamed, it was live. So no online access. Sorry.

 

den

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Here is a real photo of the Octantis sailing between two other Viking ships. She’s the one with the straight ‘Plumb’ Bow. 

 

 

6208A1FD-1366-4140-BB28-CF32D5A409AC.jpeg

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Here is a real photo of the Octantis sailing between two other Viking ships. She’s the one with the straight ‘Plumb’ Bow. 

 

 

6208A1FD-1366-4140-BB28-CF32D5A409AC.jpeg

Where and when was this taken? What ships are on either side of Octantis?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, PeabodyMa said:

Where and when was this taken? What ships are on either side of Octantis?

Ionian Sea.  Viking Star and Viking Sea on either side.  Included in an email from Viking.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I received a second email today asking us why we have not yet updated the Guest Reservation forms, then they give you the MVJ link, and, as noted above, you get the "Coming Soon" message.  I do think they should not send messages about the Guest form when they don't have the site set up.  I also am hoping that they have the site set up before the due date for payment, currently 9/30/2021 for the June, 2022, Milwaukee to Thunder Bay cruise.

 

Thank you to everyone for the links and information about the Octantis.  Though I wish the site was set up, I think the cruise looks marvelous, and being able to receive your information is great.  Wishing everyone well as we look forward to the maiden year of these vessels.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the subject of pickpockets, on our first cruise to SA we were given a tip by a gentleman who worked at a consulate in Brazil. Carry a comb in the pocket with your money or credit cards - even you will have trouble getting to the pocket contents. Now we only carry a minimum of cash or cards and so far no problems - knock wood. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I am sure those of us booked on the early Antarctic expeditions are worried about whether these cruises will happen. I have no health concerns about traveling to Argentina, where the average number of Covid-19 cases is now 7.4 per 100,000 per day. Whereas, in the United States it is 45 per 100,000 per day. Even where I live in Passaic County, New Jersey, the rate is 17 per 100,000.

 

The big question is when Argentina will allow foreign visitors to enter the country. As of now, no foreign travel is allowed. This website, though not official, has some useful information for us to follow. There may be some new developments after October 1.

 

https://secretsofbuenosaires.com/argentina-travel-update-when-will-tourism-resume/

 

I imagine Viking is closely watching the situation and is unable to make a decision one way or the other at this time. I guess they would need at least a couple of months prior to the scheduled cruise to determine whether it is go or no go, which would bring us to early November. My hope is that Argentina will permit fully vaccinated foreigners in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FYI --  We used our future cruise vouchers from one of our three cancelled trips to book Arctic Adventure on the Polaris next Summer (the first sailing of it).  For those who are interested, have set up a roll call for it .. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2777078-arctic-adventure-august-16-28-2022/.  At some point , we'll probably do Antarctica .. but not now. 

 

And btw .. the video about the Octantis was LiveStreamed on Viking.TV

https://viking.tv/tv/this-week-on-viking-tv/wednesdays/special-episode-update-on-viking-expeditions

 

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/13/2021 at 10:44 PM, CharTrav said:

FYI --  We used our future cruise vouchers from one of our three cancelled trips to book Arctic Adventure on the Polaris next Summer (the first sailing of it).  For those who are interested, have set up a roll call for it .. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2777078-arctic-adventure-august-16-28-2022/.  At some point , we'll probably do Antarctica .. but not now. 

 

And btw .. the video about the Octantis was LiveStreamed on Viking.TV

https://viking.tv/tv/this-week-on-viking-tv/wednesdays/special-episode-update-on-viking-expeditions

 

 

I really like your signature with all the helpful resources. Thank you.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holland America Line’s Alaska Exploration Sale
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...