Viking Expeditions Thread

emileg

Thanks so much for your explanation!  I'm sure whatever the reason(s), Viking would rather not have to deal with this headache on top of everything else this past year and a half.

I'm so tired of arranging and rearranging cruises (like everybody else) I think I'll borrow a neighbor's bass boat and float it out on the nearest bayou and call it a cruise!!

Hope everyone's plans work out to their satisfaction!🤞

Cindy

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

The Cabotage Acts don't consider cruises, only ports of embarkation and disembarkation. They also have R/T cruises from Vancouver to Alaska, which must have an exemption from the Coasting Trade Act.

In the Great Lakes, I suspect Viking have not requested an exemption, or if they submitted a request, a Canadian company responded with an objection, as they have a Canadian vessel available.

I appreciate this ‘Act’ only considers embarkation and disembarkation ports, but that is what we are saying, on my Two individual cruises. On the first standalone cruise, the embark is a Canadian port, Thunder Bay and the debark is a US port, Milwaukee. On my second standalone cruise, the embark is a US port, Milwaukee, and the debark is a Canadian port, Toronto. Milwaukee isn’t a port of call on a single cruise. I end one cruise, I close out my account and debark. I come back on, open up a new account and new everything, and only because I booked a long time ago that I have the same SR as the cruise prior. 

I realize the posters here are passing info as they understand it and my long winded explain action does nothing except waste your time reading and my time I could be helping my wife get ready for a party tomorrow. 

So again, I’ll not contact my TA until Viking contacts them or me on this issue and I haven’t been contacted so I’ll just wait. I’m Not about to cancel one or both over this. I find it very curious that Viking would set this up and not understand the obvious that customers would do B2B cruises (plural) all the way across the Great Lakes. Kind of something that would be just really really neat to do. 

Den

15 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

I appreciate this ‘Act’ only considers embarkation and disembarkation ports, but that is what we are saying, on my Two individual cruises. On the first standalone cruise, the embark is a Canadian port, Thunder Bay and the debark is a US port, Milwaukee. On my second standalone cruise, the embark is a US port, Milwaukee, and the debark is a Canadian port, Toronto. Milwaukee isn’t a port of call on a single cruise. I end one cruise, I close out my account and debark. I come back on, open up a new account and new everything, and only because I booked a long time ago that I have the same SR as the cruise prior. 

I realize the posters here are passing info as they understand it and my long winded explain action does nothing except waste your time reading and my time I could be helping my wife get ready for a party tomorrow. 

So again, I’ll not contact my TA until Viking contacts them or me on this issue and I haven’t been contacted so I’ll just wait. I’m Not about to cancel one or both over this. I find it very curious that Viking would set this up and not understand the obvious that customers would do B2B cruises (plural) all the way across the Great Lakes. Kind of something that would be just really really neat to do. 

Den

I totally understand where you're coming from!  We wanted to do all the Great Lakes, too, hence booking the B2B.  Guess you can say I've got battle fatigue as I'm tired of dodging all the roadblocks, port and entire cruise cancellations, etc.  So I've sacrificed my first Toronto to Milwaukee leg in order to save the remaining limb.  I've a trip in April to deal with and an upcoming Oceania cruise, then 3 other Viking cruises.  So I'm settling this and moving on.  But I honestly wish you luck!

Don't know what their pecking order is in how they're contacting passengers.  Maybe alphabetical as my last name begins with B?  Or by booking date?  No idea.  Just wanted this behind me.😉

Bon Voyage Y'all!

Cindy

35 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Den

You may be closing out a shipboard account, but in Milwauke you are not disembarking the vessel - you are considered as being "In Transit". When taking B2B cruises your embarkation is joining the vessel and disembarkation is when you finally leave the vessel, regardless of the number of cruises.

Cabotage Acts do not care about cruises, they consider the port you board and the port you finally leave the vessel.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The Cabotage Acts don't consider cruises, only ports of embarkation and disembarkation. They also have R/T cruises from Vancouver to Alaska, which must have an exemption from the Coasting Trade Act.

In the Great Lakes, I suspect Viking have not requested an exemption, or if they submitted a request, a Canadian company responded with an objection, as they have a Canadian vessel available.

In the case of the latter, Viking thought all was good until it wasn't? Hmmmm.

Hope by the time we decide to book, all these issues will have been dealt with. 

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/7/2021 at 11:44 PM, Heidi13 said:

You may be closing out a shipboard account, but in Milwauke you are not disembarking the vessel - you are considered as being "In Transit". When taking B2B cruises your embarkation is joining the vessel and disembarkation is when you finally leave the vessel, regardless of the number of cruises.

Cabotage Acts do not care about cruises, they consider the port you board and the port you finally leave the vessel.

I think Den is saying that they actually get off the ship. They would go through immigration and customs, maybe stop for a bite to eat at a local restaurant, and then check in for a new cruise. The new cruise just happens to be on the same day that the previous one arrived. So, technically, they have disembarked the first cruise.

3 hours ago, emileg said:

I think Den is saying that they actually get off the ship. They would go through immigration and customs, maybe stop for a bite to eat at a local restaurant, and then check in for a new cruise. The new cruise just happens to be on the same day that the previous one arrived. So, technically, they have disembarked the first cruise.

Yes, that is normal for everyone on board. Since you are arriving in a new country, everyone goes through Immigration, but if you are taking the next cruise, you have NOT disembarked, you are "In Transit".

To be considered "Disembarked" you must vacate the cabin and wait for the next ship, or a future sailing of the same ship. On B2B cruises, going ashore at a TAR port is no different than shore-leave at other ports of call for "In Transit" pax.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Yes, that is normal for everyone on board. Since you are arriving in a new country, everyone goes through Immigration, but if you are taking the next cruise, you have NOT disembarked, you are "In Transit".

To be considered "Disembarked" you must vacate the cabin and wait for the next ship, or a future sailing of the same ship. On B2B cruises, going ashore at a TAR port is no different than shore-leave at other ports of call for "In Transit" pax.

I understand your view of this being a ‘transit’ port but none of it lines up with anything done on all other itineraries. We do Not go through immigration every time we arrive at a new country. If we are on a cruise that calls on a foreign port then a US port before the end of that one cruise, we do Not go through immigration. When we are on a B2B, using a US port, we all get off go through immigration along with all others and those on the B2B can get back on or go explore. Those that don’t have the same SR vacate their SR and move to the new SR. So please stop with the explanation of this being a ‘transit’ port as if that is how it’s handled on B2Bs. 

for whatever reason, this situation if it’s because of the Great Lakes or whatever differs from all other cases. I’ll let my TA work this since I haven’t been informed or contacted by Viking. 

id suggest no one cancel and give this time to be worked through since we have 6 or more months and this is more than completely different from any B2B situation. 

den

den

On 10/7/2021 at 3:32 PM, CharTrav said:

Wow!  That certainly messes up an itinerary I've got in my list of 'future-cruises-to-do' -- specifically Niagara & the Great Lakes (Toronto to Milwaukee) followed by Great Lakes Explorer (Milwaukee to Thunder Bay).  Is that what you booked? I think it might be worthwhile to see if @Heidi13 or @chengkp75 might have  some insight to offer regarding the Jones Act and this itinerary.  Based on their posts elsewhere, they've proven themselves to be quite knowledgeable about all things related to ship operations and the associated legal issues/constraints.

CharTrav,

Since we are not booked on this cruise and you have someone that clearly knows more about cruise ship operations and the Canadian Cabotage Act than me, I will bow out of this discussion.

If you have any further questions, send me an email.

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

CharTrav,

Since we are not booked on this cruise and you have someone that clearly knows more about cruise ship operations and the Canadian Cabotage Act than me, I will bow out of this discussion.

Many thanks for your knowledgeable & thorough inputs and patience. 👍🏼

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 11:58 AM, Heidi13 said:

CharTrav,

Well Heidi13, apologies for my overwrought “It’s a B2B!!”. My TA says, yup, no go on it. I had booked the 7N Thunder Bay to Milwaukee, then a few months later, booked the 7N Milwaukee to Toronto and had two separate bookings and reservations. Viking decided to combine them and made it a 14N booking; didnt see that booking until today when Viking shared it with my TA.  Don’t know if that is it or what you’ve pointed out more than a few times to thickheads such as me. 

I’ve told my TA go look at options: 

- Cancel my 1st leg and make it Milwaukee to Toronto, move my FCC that was on the initial booking to this one and reimburse me for the rest. No way am I interested in an FCC since this was Viking’s Major error. 

- See what the option is if I decide to cancel both and go with another Viking cruise, and move the funds over to it and reimburse me for the remaining.

- Cancel both and I’ll go with another Line and I’d want a Full reimbursement including the FCC from a canceled 2020 river cruise since this their mistake. I know that may not (probably Not!) occur so want an extended date on the FCC since Viking waiting over 7 months to let us know this couldnt be done, And the only way I know now is this forum, not them!

THe Jones Act and your reference to the Cabotage thing appears to drive itineraries all the time and I can’t believe Viking didnt plan on how to handle it for crossing the entire Great Lakes, and so on. 

Oh well. Once I see what is going on and what Viking will allow and make my plans, I think I’ll post this on the full Viking Forum. Won’t do me any good, and I’ve probably complained about some Line about 5 posts out of my numerous posts. I usually roll with it, but this is a big error on their part and big on how long it took them to see it, and how they didn’t contact all of us. 

Den

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Well Heidi13, apologies for my overwrought “It’s a B2B!!”. My TA says, yup, no go on it. I had booked the 7N Thunder Bay to Milwaukee, then a few months later, booked the 7N Milwaukee to Toronto and had two separate bookings and reservations. Viking decided to combine them and made it a 14N booking; didnt see that booking until today when Viking shared it with my TA.  Don’t know if that is it or what you’ve pointed out more than a few times to thickheads such as me. 

- Cancel my 1st leg and make it Milwaukee to Toronto, move my FCC that was on the initial booking to this one and reimburse me for the rest. No way am I interested in an FCC since this was Viking’s Major error. 

- See what the option is if I decide to cancel both and go with another Viking cruise, and move the funds over to it and reimburse me for the remaining.

- Cancel both and I’ll go with another Line and I’d want a Full reimbursement including the FCC from a canceled 2020 river cruise since this their mistake. I know that may not (probably Not!) occur so want an extended date on the FCC since Viking waiting over 7 months to let us know this couldnt be done, And the only way I know now is this forum, not them!

THe Jones Act and your reference to the Cabotage thing appears to drive itineraries all the time and I can’t believe Viking didnt plan on how to handle it for crossing the entire Great Lakes, and so on. 

Oh well. Once I see what is going on and what Viking will allow and make my plans, I think I’ll post this on the full Viking Forum. Won’t do me any good, and I’ve probably complained about some Line about 5 posts out of my numerous posts. I usually roll with it, but this is a big error on their part and big on how long it took them to see it, and how they didn’t contact all of us. 

Den

Well, I am so sorry to have been the barer of bad news, but I knew after the rep told me I was definitely not alone that there'd be many others in line for disappointment!😪

I do hope that everyone who is impacted by this Epic "Bleep" Up can arrange new travel plans to their satisfaction.  Believe me, I've been mad enough at another major cruise line that I uttered the very juvenile "You're dead to me!"  over the phone and hung up!!  I did feel sorry later, but I haven't taken another cruise with them to date (yet!).  And another line messed with me so much I've instructed my TA to NEVER approach me with one of their itineraries again!  (Yes, I can hold a grudge with the best!!) 🤣

I do wish everyone who has had their plans turned topsy turvy good luck and Bon Voyage at whatever point they cruise in the future!!

Cindy

1 hour ago, secretcinderella said:

I did feel sorry later, but I haven't taken another cruise with them to date (yet!). 

I have an airline that is in that category and has stayed there for over 20 yrs. My unplanned for experience with them last Summer (cancelled flight on one airline got us shifted to my doghouse airline) simply reinforced my opinion.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Den

Thanks, happy to accept the apology.

Don't be too hard on Viking. While the US PVSA is more restrictive, it does clearly define what foreign flags ships must attain to engage in domestic trade.

While the Canadian Coasting Trading Act could be considered more flexible and accommodating, it is most definitely not black & white.

I'll suggest this is a learning experience for Viking, as they enter a new market. If they request approval, provided no Canadian company can provide the service, Viking can accept pax for Toronto to Thunder Bay, or another Canadian port.

• Like 2

Viking offered a discount on adding a 3rd cruise, Milwaukee to ThunderBay prior to my existing cruises which would then make it a 21N cruise staring in a US port and ending in Toronto. Not a bad offer at all but can’t handle gone that long at that time so will cancel my Thunder Bay to Milwaukee and will go on one cruise. 

so much for crossing all the Great Lakes. 

will get reimbursement of the 1st cruise. Oh well. And Heidi13, I agree this is not straightforward or obvious. Viking’s first shot in this cruising area.  

den

15 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Viking offered a discount on adding a 3rd cruise, Milwaukee to ThunderBay prior to my existing cruises which would then make it a 21N cruise staring in a US port and ending in Toronto. Not a bad offer at all but can’t handle gone that long at that time so will cancel my Thunder Bay to Milwaukee and will go on one cruise. 

will get reimbursement of the 1st cruise. Oh well. And Heidi13, I agree this is not straightforward or obvious. Viking’s first shot in this cruising area.  

den

Swing and a miss!!😄 I went with just the one cruise, too, along with the post Churchill on Hudson Bay.  I agree though, all 5 would have been ideal.  Sadly, I think I'm getting used to being disappointed!  😜

Cindy 

16 hours ago, Denny01 said:

den

It is so disappointing to have these cruises cancelled. First, there were so many from Covid and now this. I really do feel your pain.

• Thanks 1

Canceled the Thunder Bay to Milwaukee and will stick with the Milwaukee to Toronto. One reason was the flight into Thunder Bay is a 3 legger and gets in close to midnight. So will get into Milwaukee a few days prior and enjoy exploring a bit and then off to the eastern half of our original cruise and then explore Toronto for a few days. 

Viking was professional and apologetic to my TA. They canceled the first leg, moved my FCC from my earlier cancel Euro river cruise to the cruise I’m keeping and will reimburse me for the rest, getting it to me within 21 working days. 

Let it rest at that. Hope all the others who had a full Great Lakes cruise from Thunder Bay to Toronto or the opposite recover properly. 

Hope Viking figures out itineraries that allow us to book through all of the Great Lakes, but that can happen later, maybe. It did save me a good amount; these aren’t cheap!!

den 

• Like 3

Good news: https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/argentina-covid-travel-rules

Argentina will open to international visitors from November

from November 1, all foreign visitors will be welcome and exempt from quarantine, if they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. They must present proof of a negative COVD-19 result from a PCR test taken no more than 72 hours before travel, in addition to taking an antigen test seven days after arrival.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, brosen1 said:

Good news: https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/argentina-covid-travel-rules

Argentina will open to international visitors from November

from November 1, all foreign visitors will be welcome and exempt from quarantine, if they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. They must present proof of a negative COVD-19 result from a PCR test taken no more than 72 hours before travel, in addition to taking an antigen test seven days after arrival.

Thank you for your post. It is very encouraging. From what I read, the need for the 5-7 day antigen test would be deemed no longer required once over 50% of the population is fully vaccinated. As of today, 67.3% of the population in Argentina has received at least one dose and 53.2% are fully vaccinated.

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/vaccination-rollout-and-access/

We (Sarah and Bruce) are on 4 FEB 22 Octantis cruise to Antarctica. We just had a ZOOM consultation with an experienced Argentine tour guide about how to maximize our experience.  We have decided to: 1) start with arriving in Buenos Aires one day early (perhaps to get oriented to the tourist parts of the city), then 2) take the Antarctica cruise, followed by 3) a few days in Buenos Aires, including day trips (such as Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay and the Tigre Delta), then 4) a visit to Iguazu to see the falls from both the Argentine and Brazil sides, finally 5)returning to BA for perhaps a day, before flying home. We will probably use private guided tours because we are older and slower, relying on a car and driver, as well as the BA subway. 

Very energized to both get on a ship and see Antarctica! Everything else we had planned has either been canceled or postponed due to the pandemic!

• Like 3