Word on the street....May is not sailing.

1 minute ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Wendy... we missed last year. Been going there for decades. We are so disappointed. We meet our Toronto friends there and spend wonderful days together..fishing and relaxing!

Sheila, why don't you invite your Canadian friends to go fly fishing in Montana or Alaska?  There are plenty of great fishing spots n the USA.

5 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Sheila, why don't you invite your Canadian friends to go fly fishing in Montana or Alaska?  There are plenty of great fishing spots n the USA.

Thanks for the suggestion... we don’t fly fish. Perhaps, we might invite them to Florida next winter and go fishing in the backwater of the Keys. We will think about it....

NCLH just filed a Form 8-K with SEC.  No, not for cancellation of May itineraries; just to announce that the 2023 Around the World Cruise on Oceania sold out in one day.

I am beginning to believe that pcardad's sources are beginning to feed him bogus information. 😉

Edited by mrlevin
26 minutes ago, crispy46 said:

I started this thread asking whether Regent was subtly telling us that no cruises til September. I ask again but I think I know the answer.

Don’ t mean to be picky, Pcardad started this talking about another round of cancellations.

59 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

NCLH just filed a Form 8-K with SEC.  No, not for cancellation of May itineraries; just to announce that the 2023 Around the World Cruise on Oceania sold out in one day.

I am beginning to believe that pcardad's sources are beginning to feed him bogus information. 😉

I must be dense today as I don’t understand your comment. The 2023 Regent World Cruise is heavily booked also. Isn’t heavy bookings a good thing  for NCL almost two years away?

12 minutes ago, cwn said:

Don’ t mean to be picky, Pcardad started this talking about another round of cancellations.

That's it - throw the kid under the bus. I still think they will be cancelled - and many more months besides. As to WHEN...who knows? Regent needs a little help communicating I think.

14 minutes ago, cwn said:

I must be dense today as I don’t understand your comment. The 2023 Regent World Cruise is heavily booked also. Isn’t heavy bookings a good thing  for NCL almost two years away?

Wonder how many bookings were new vs shifted for the world cruise.  If you tell me there are a majority of new bookings, I'd say it's good news.   

On 2/5/2021 at 6:04 PM, Lonedaddy said:

The USA could simply suspend the jones act temporarily to allow the lines to skip canada and still do Alaska - perhaps that is why NCL hasn't cancelled yet

Technically it the Passenger Vessel Services Act  (https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=3363), just to be clear. I looked it up before writing all of Maine’s US congressional reps/senators to suspend enforcement of the PVSA until 2024. It’s a big deal in New England too, despite the focus on Alaska. 

37 minutes ago, Snore42 said:

Wonder how many bookings were new vs shifted for the world cruise.  If you tell me there are a majority of new bookings, I'd say it's good news.   

There is pent up demand from 2020, 2021, and those reluctant to book 2022.  I'm sure that would account for a large portion of the 2023 bookings.  And I'm also sure that a large portion of the deposits are with FCC.  That portion represents money that came in to Regent pre-covid, not new money.  They are unlikely to disclose what percentage of the deposits are new money.

Presumably there are a good number of people who frequently sail on the world cruise, and that those would also be the ones most eager to book 2023.  I am pretty sure this would be the case on Crystal, where I have sailed a portion of the WC twice and was supposed to be doing that again right now.  So I am assuming the situation would be similar on Regent. 

So far I have had four cruises cancelled by covid, two each on Crystal and Regent.  (Well, the second Regent cancellation is expected any day now.)  I am still looking forward to experiencing Regent in 2022, though.

2 hours ago, Snore42 said:

Many were shifted, straight from the 2021 cruise.

2 hours ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

Technically it the Passenger Vessel Services Act  (https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=3363), just to be clear. I looked it up before writing all of Maine’s US congressional reps/senators to suspend enforcement of the PVSA until 2024. It’s a big deal in New England too, despite the focus on Alaska. 

I thought the same thing. This was an Act from the 19th century, and there were no cruise ships. It could easily be suspended be the US government, and if not, challenged by the cruise ship industry in the courts. But the suspension seems like an easy way to allow cruise ships to operate without stopping in Canada to avoid the law.

4 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

I thought the same thing. This was an Act from the 19th century, and there were no cruise ships. It could easily be suspended be the US government, and if not, challenged by the cruise ship industry in the courts. But the suspension seems like an easy way to allow cruise ships to operate without stopping in Canada to avoid the law.

The law covers passenger ships and was enacted in 1886 to protect US jobs and ship building companies.  Sincerely don't believe Foreign Companies challenging a 135 year law in the courts would do much if anything.  Remember, cruise lines have gotten zero stimulus money and the protections of the PVSA support US Citizens and Companies so suspension is unlikely to be easy or done.  The law affects much more than cruise to Alaska and New England foliage cruises and suspension could affect more than any of us are aware of.

I've read about people wanting to suspend or remove that law for quite awhile and nothing has been done.  Congress has much more important business to do than protecting the revenue of foreign companies.  

43 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Congress has much more important business to do than protecting the revenue of foreign companies.  

I can’t argue with that. The cruise lines chose not to follow US laws so they get the good with the bad. My letters to congress were based on the benefits to US ports with more tourism that wouldn’t cost the government anything. 

4 minutes ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

I can’t argue with that. The cruise lines chose not to follow US laws so they get the good with the bad. My letters to congress were based on the benefits to US ports with more tourism that wouldn’t cost the government anything. 

Thanks for the reply. It may benefit a very few ports Seattle and???  See no benefit to NE ports as long as Canadian waters are closed snd once Canada opens up no need for modifying the law. Very small benefit IMHO.  Don’t forget the CDC 7 day limit on cruises in US waters so even Seattle to anchorage would not be possible. Seem the only Alaska cruises under the restrictions might be out of anchorage or Juneau considering the need for substantial airport capacity. 

All of this talk about suspending the PVSA assumes that cruise lines are ready, willing and able to cruise Alaska this year, and the CDC would allow it. I see no evidence of that.

Tom.

9 hours ago, rallydave said:

See no benefit to NE ports as long as Canadian waters are closed snd once Canada opens up no need for modifying the law. Very small benefit IMHO.  

I see definitely see a potential; there is demand for summer and then fall foliage cruises in New England. The cruise ship visits in Maine start in June or July. Boston, Newport, Portland, Bar Harbor, etc. would all benefit; New York too. All easily done in 7 days or less. That’s why I wrote to ask for a suspension of enforcement of the PVSA. 

5 hours ago, giustot said:

I see no evidence of that.

Fair point, but again, the New England/Northeast cruises don’t get underway until later. They really ramp up in September and October. So there is time to meet that challenge. 

Joy is about to start the long trip back to Manila with over 1,000 crew members:

[quote]

The cruise ship Norwegian Joy is slowly getting ready to return non-essential crew back home after NCLH announced further cancelations of cruises through April 30, 2021. Norwegian Joy which departed from Manila two months ago arrived in Aruba in January, where the ship was greeted by hundreds of fellow crew members from the NCLH ships docked in Oranjestad in hopes to restart cruising. Now the ship will have to make the same journey and sail back to the Philippines.

Norwegian Joy has already started ship-to-ship transfers of the non-essential crew onboard Norwegian Sun, Norwegian Pearl and Oceania Insignia, which are docked alongside in Oranjestad, Aruba. According to our source, the crew transfers will be completed on February 12, with the boarding of the crew from the Norwegian Gem. Once this is done they will set sail to Manila, Philippines on February 28. A total of 1053 crew members, 819 male and 234 female crew, will be sent back home.

On January 26, NCLH informed the shipboard employees about the difficult decision the company has made to repatriate crew members in non-essential roles. Back in November and December 2020, Norwegian Cruise Line boarded thousands of crew members to prepare several cruise ships for a possible restart. However with the latest announcement and further suspension of operations the company realized they are not going to be starting anytime soon. 

In November 2020 Norwegian Joy set sail from Manila, Philippines to the Caribbean with 1216 crew. Back then many crew members who boarded the ship expressed their happiness and joy to be the first among their fellow crew to resume cruises. Some of them posted videos about the long process, quarantine, and safety protocols they went thru in order to join the ship. But they didn't complain about all of this, they were actually proud to be part of the restart team and expressed their gratitude to the company and the agency for this opportunity.[/quote]

I believe Pcardad,s predication of cancelling all May Cruises will come true. We have a cruise on the Voyager to the Holy Lands in May and all the Cruises on Regent in May show waitlisted. I just wish Regent would make the announcement so we can move on. I am soo ready to cruise but it is looking like not a chance this year. We are scheduled to receive our first vaccine this coming Tuesday and here in the Georgetown ,Texas  are they are predicting many inches of snow. Ugh I was hoping 2021 was going to be better than 2020 but so far things are not turning out like I had hoped. Keeping fingers crossed that things will take a turn for the best.

Basically two years of not cruising is very depressing. When you are 75 years old time is running short on those must see places. 

Very much agree that it would be good to know what is happening to Regent cruises.  We are booked on what is currently meant to be the first cruise for Splendor, and it's claimed that she is wending her way towards Southampton.  On the other hand, we (in the UK) are banned from travel of any kind, France has closed its borders, and it's hard to imagine that our cruise in May will happen.  We do have hopes, having lost three cruises in 2020 including one on Splendor.  Perhaps we are going to cruise for 12 days and not land at all?  I can think of worse things to do in May.

One suggestion to Regent.  Why not give cruise days for cancelled cruises towards Seven Seas Society?  It would cost little, and certainly less than the cruise credit that was offered.

Sure love that idea, Mike, but unfortunately I don't think that's going to happen. If that really happened, there are so very many of us that would become platinum/titanium/plutonium (giggle) as we, as a whole, have so many canceled cruises. We've got 3 and are working on a fourth and I think we're just average.

The whole thing is so terribly frustrating ...we're hanging on a thread for a June/2021 cruise. I know in my heart of hearts, it's not gonna happen, so please give us the FCC so we can plan something else, asap!

5 hours ago, MikeD1000 said:

One suggestion to Regent.  Why not give cruise days for cancelled cruises towards Seven Seas Society?  It would cost little, and certainly less than the cruise credit that was offered.

They were doing this initially, for cruises that were cancelled by Regent and only if you agreed to take the FCC.  We got 10 days credit for our cancelled October 2020 cruise, but that was the last round of cancellations for which they offered this.

On 1/31/2021 at 11:22 AM, Pcardad said:

Look for another round of cancellations this week.

Premature expectations.  😉

Edited by mrlevin