Norwegian Cruises-do they all allow you to see Geiranger?

Eppiela

Looking at Celebrity's 3 Norwegian Fjiords cruises for 2022, I see that only the June 19 one actually stops in the port of Geiranger.  Does this mean we wouldn't get to see it, or does it mean you take an excursion from another port to see it?  In other words, to me it looks like the June 19 trip is the only one I want to go on, because of the ports:  Alesund, Bergen, Geiranger, Stavanger.  The trips in July and August have other ports (but they do include Alesund and Stavanger).  

There are 5 Norwegian fjord cruises currently offered in 2022, one each month April through August inclusive. However, there is still only the June 19 cruise aboard the Apex that stops in Geiranger. 

WestLakeGirl is confirming what I thought. And if seeing Geiranger is a priority (which having been I completely understand), the sail in and out is also pretty amazing.

I know we're on the Celebrity board, but have you looked to see what RCI offers? That sounds like the itinerary we had in Norway on a 12 day Brilliance cruise to Norway and Iceland. The Radiance class of ships isn't the same as a similar sized X ship, but they're quite nice, and the clientele on the Northern European cruises is very similar. At least in my experience.

Edited by markeb

1 minute ago, ECCruise said:

And if you are lucky enough to get the SeaWalk berth, the pier actually comes out to you.

Which is way cool! We were the lucky ones the day we were there!

Thanks for the video ECCruise.  It makes me want to go even if I don't have a vaccine!  I do hope our Aug 2021 cruise sails as it not only goes to Gerainger but to Flam also and it is 9 days.

• Like 1

We got the seawalk as well for our May 2015 stop in Geiranger- the HAL ship did not!

We had a grey rainy day so the beauty of the sail-in and out was diminished.

One tour I wish we'd done was the Rib Boat for an upclose view of the spectacular fjord and waterfalls.

2 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Celebrity should dock using the Seawalk,,,,it’s was paid for by Royal Caribbean.

They contributed to it and were part of the investment group, but they didn't "pay" for it.

I think that Geiranger is the "highlight" of the Norwegian fjords.

There is one cruise on Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas in June 2022 which goes to Geiranger.

The ship is spot on for such a cruise, where the itinerary is so important. You can view outside from lots of places in the ship.

3 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

What do I know,,I was just repeating what I was told.

Well, maybe you can get them to believe that and then Silhouette will be able to dock there in August.  hope, hope.......

7 hours ago, TeaBag said:

Well, maybe you can get them to believe that and then Silhouette will be able to dock there in August.  hope, hope.......

RCL may not have ‘paid’ for it,but they were certainly major investors.

If you are on RCL or Celebrity ship you will almost certainly use the Seawalk before any other cruise line ship.

12 hours ago, macaroni said:

Dani.....I don’t see the June 2022 Jewel of the Seas going to Geiranger....what date? Thanks...

Sorry, there are 2 cruises which go to the Arctic circle June&July 2022. I knew that there was one which goes to Geiranger and one to Flam (June 2022).

My bad -- the one which goes to Geiranger is July 26th, 2022.

Anthem from Southampton on various dates calls at Geiranger as does Jewel from Amsterdam, both have the added bonus on some cruises of stopping at Flam. The railway offers an hour round trip.

1 hour ago, Redrobo said:

Anthem from Southampton on various dates calls at Geiranger as does Jewel from Amsterdam, both have the added bonus on some cruises of stopping at Flam. The railway offers an hour round trip.

Actually the round trip on the Flamsbana railway is about 2 hours, which is a good thing since there is almost nothing else to do in Flam--not surprising since the population is less than 400.

The railway is one of the most beautiful we've ever seen and the sail in and out are spectacular.  There is also a small brewery (Ægir microbrewery) right in town.

Look for a cruise that stops in Alesund, and you can book a fjord cruise from Alesund to Geiranger the day you are in port. That was my plan for the May 29, 2021, cruise on the Reflection, which will sadly be cancelled (most likely). 

We were booked on the Silhoette last August and it visited Flam & Geiranger.  We had fabulous trips booked..... but you know the story! We had rail up and cycle down trips in Flam booked independently. 

I am told that booking a table in the Tuscan Restaurant is a must for the sail out of Flam. I did not mention that on our roll call for obvious reasons. 

Our friends will not book another cruise until the pandemic is over so look forward to planning it in next few months with them....... please!

I think Cunard Queen Mary 2 may do this itinerary too. 

If anyone is on a Fjords cruise that stops at Olden make sure you are on deck for sailaway.
The local pub plays Bocelli singiing 'Time to say goodbye',through the biggest speaker in Norway ,,,,it gives you goose bumps,,,,
Just a snippet...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1