Help me choose a SE Asia cruise....

Lou33

We'd like to do a South East Asia cruise with NCL next year and I found three 11 day cruises on the Sun that are interesting:

1) Feb 02, 2022, Hong Kong to Bangkok.  Two stops in Philippines (Manila, Corone), Kota Kinabalu Malaysia, Muara Brunei Darussalam, Ho Chi Minh Vietnam, Ko Samui Thailand.

2) Feb 24 2022, Singapore to Bangkok.  Phuket Thailand (overnight),  Langkawi Malaysia, Melaka Malaysia, Ho Chi Minh Vietnam, Nha Trang Vietnam, Ko Samui Thailand.  

3) March 07, 2022, Bangkok to Hong Kong.  Singapore (overnight), four stops in Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh, Nha Trang, Hue/Da Nang, Ha Long Bay).  

They're all about the same price.  We are an active couple and we prefer ports were we can avoid the ship's tours and either do things on our own, or book a third party tour.  We also like snorkeling.  Any advice is appreciated.  

Oh, I just found another cruise in the Sun that we may like better than the three above:

Jan 04, 2022, Round trip from Singapore.  Stops at three ports in Indonesia (Bali, Surabaya, Jakarta), three ports in Malaysia (Langkawi, Penang, Kuala Lumpur), and Phuket Thailand (overnight).  This cruise is 14 days instead of the above 11 days, but it costs only $500 more total.  

7 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@Lou33

Being from the USA going that far for a single 11 day cruise is an expensive flight have you considered doing 2 or 3 cruises?    Have you also considered the  cruise on the 13th Feb?

The air is not that expensive, there is reduced air through NCL.  Yes we are considering the Feb 13 cruise, but with so many ports, I was wondering if it would be too intense.  

11 hours ago, Lou33 said:

Oh, I just found another cruise in the Sun that we may like better than the three above:

Jan 04, 2022, Round trip from Singapore.  Stops at three ports in Indonesia (Bali, Surabaya, Jakarta), three ports in Malaysia (Langkawi, Penang, Kuala Lumpur), and Phuket Thailand (overnight).  This cruise is 14 days instead of the above 11 days, but it costs only $500 more total.  

It sounds like you are answering your own question.  How do we know your likes and dislikes?  The one cruise you think is too port intensive is the one I booked.  Are there embarkation or disembarkation ports where you want to spend extra time?  Having personally spent years of time traveling and working in South East Asia, Jakarta is not high on my list, but maybe it is for you.  I want no part of Hong Kong given current political conditions, but you may.  I find Thailand a more interesting place to visit and Singapore very safe, with friends in both countries.  It's your call - happy hunting.

20 hours ago, Lou33 said:

given the choices, i'd opt for this one. we loved hong kong, but right now the political climate is such that you're better off staying awat from there.

singapore was also amazing, and ive always wanted to visit bali.

you thread title said ask for help choosing. the best advice i can offer, is take the cruise that sounds the most interesting and/or intriguing to you

4 hours ago, complawyer said:

given the choices, i'd opt for this one. we loved hong kong, but right now the political climate is such that you're better off staying awat from there.

singapore was also amazing, and ive always wanted to visit bali.

you thread title said ask for help choosing. the best advice i can offer, is take the cruise that sounds the most interesting and/or intriguing to you

Your comments are spot on @complawyer!

Edited by HuliHuli
add text

10 hours ago, cruiser123! said:

Feb 2...you'll be there during Chinese New Year.  That enough would make me pick that one!   We were in HCMC 2 years ago during Chinese New Year, and the flowers and decorations were amazing.   

Gotta agree, nothing like the Lunar New Year and all the lunatics.