3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I once got stuck across the Leeds Liverpool canal in Wigan on a 60' narrowboat. The narrowboat was longer than the canal was wide. I had just come out of a lock and was heading to the towpath to pick up my wife after she had operated the lock. There was a howling wind which caught the narrowboat and pushed it up a against the opposite side of the canal. I managed to back it off and get back to the towpath side and picked up my wife. Luckily there was no other canal traffic. It is common courtesy to close the lock gates after passing through but that day we couldn't do it as the wind kept blowing them open.

I wonder if they missed the Sign parallel parking only    ..... or did some sing out hand Stan a board...

Your story on a long boat... reminds me of a houseboat trip   there was just the two of us on board... Anyway had to stop at this place to get fuel.......  strong wind no where really to tie up....  nosed in near a big tree... on a sandy section stopped 5 feet short but the landing plank out and left BH at the wheel threw a rope a shore... ended up knee deep in water, landing plank start to float off, big gust of wind... yelled instructions turn the wheel and push the lever forward, while hurriedly put a rope around the tree, before grabbing another rope   while yelling more instructions.. and the rope just reached a post to tie to.....  it would have been funny to watch.... we did get tied up and refueled

Don

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

I wonder if they missed the Sign parallel parking only    ..... or did some sing out hand Stan a board...

Your story on a long boat... reminds me of a houseboat trip   there was just the two of us on board... Anyway had to stop at this place to get fuel.......  strong wind no where really to tie up....  nosed in near a big tree... on a sandy section stopped 5 feet short but the landing plank out and left BH at the wheel threw a rope a shore... ended up knee deep in water, landing plank start to float off, big gust of wind... yelled instructions turn the wheel and push the lever forward, while hurriedly put a rope around the tree, before grabbing another rope   while yelling more instructions.. and the rope just reached a post to tie to.....  it would have been funny to watch.... we did get tied up and refueled

Don

(Strong) Wind can often play havoc with canal boats as they are around 60' long and only 7' wide especially if you need to do a U turn and the canal is only about 30' or less wide. You have to wait until you find a winding hole.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winding_hole

Edited by lyndarra
left out link