When will things go back to "normal"

To my understanding it seems cruising may open up by July or a few months from then. However that will be with COVID restrictions such as mask at the pool deck and what not. When cruising does open back up completely. How long until everything is back to the norm?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! I heard next Tuesday, but they keep pushing the date back. <jk> :classic_biggrin: The answer that no one knows how long restrictions will be in force or when sailing will resume. The CDC order is supposed to end on November 1, 2021 but they could extend it (or shorten it) if warranted. After the CDC order is over it is up to the cruise line what sorts of restrictions they will have in place for healthy sailing. 

Edited by Coralc
10 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic! I heard next Tuesday, but they keep pushing the date back. <jk> :classic_biggrin: The answer that no one knows how long restrictions will be in force or when sailing will resume. The CDC order is supposed to end on November 1, 2021 but they could extend it (or shorten it) if warranted. After the CDC order is over it is up to the cruise line what sorts of restrictions they will have in place for healthy sailing. 

If the CDC order doesn't end until November 1st, why are they selling cruises for earlier than that?   Are they hoping for a sooner timeframe?

6 minutes ago, tserface said:

If the CDC order doesn't end until November 1st, why are they selling cruises for earlier than that?  

The CDC order doesn't preclude cruises, just ones longer than 7 days.

6 minutes ago, tserface said:

If the CDC order doesn't end until November 1st, why are they selling cruises for earlier than that?   Are they hoping for a sooner timeframe?

The cdc order is protocols to resume cruising. I think you are thinking of the no sail order  not this 40 pages of stuff. Mock test cruises, then file for 60 days to resume. Masks, no cruises longer than 7 days.

Imo cruises will never be the same as they were before. But yes, at some time I think they will resume.

Just now, firefly333 said:

The cdc order is protocols to resume cruising. I think you are thinking of the no sail order  not this 40 pages of stuff. Mock test cruises, then file for 60 days to resume. Masks, no cruises longer than 7 days.

Imo cruises will never be the same as they were before. But yes, at some time I think they will resume.

I know there have been tons of threads about people's willingness to get vaccinated or wear PPE, etc.  I fully agree that vaccination is the key to opening up cruising again and would gladly be vaccinated as a prerequisite.  Of course, it's easy for me to say, I plan to be vaccinated anyway.  I also don't mind wearing a mask for some parts of the cruise (elevator, shows, trivia/bingo/etc.) It would obviously be difficult to wear one while eating.  Perhaps combining some protocols with vaccinations would encourage the CDC to open up more ... and some other countries to maybe allow Americans in again 🙂

Tom

Yes. The Framework for Conditional Sailing was issued on Oct. 30, 2020 and goes until Nov. 1, 2021. As firefly mentioned, it is 40 pages of protocols and restrictions including test cruises prior to paid sailings. To my knowledge, there has been no real start up there. 

And they will have to bring back crew for the ships. July is as good as a guess as any. And how long people will have to wear masks???? I have no idea. 

I think vaccinations will help considerably with a return to cruising. :classic_smile:

Didn’t NCL just send non-necessary crew home that they thought might be needed sooner than later for start up. They brought them in, only to send them home. 

I called Carnac (the famous seer, sage, and soothsayer) (yes, we are on first name only basis) he says we won't be normal until june 18, 2024. Don't worry, cruises will sail prior to that date.

2 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

I called Carnac (the famous seer, sage, and soothsayer) (yes, we are on first name only basis) he says we won't be normal until june 18, 2024. Don't worry, cruises will sail prior to that date.

Via seance🤔

Carnac died almost 15 years ago

15 hours ago, CarribeanJoe305 said:

To my understanding it seems cruising may open up by July or a few months from then. However that will be with COVID restrictions such as mask at the pool deck and what not. When cruising does open back up completely. How long until everything is back to the norm?

Good question!

If Big Tech has their way it will never be normal again.

They want you at home using their apps/platforms.

I have a mental list of members on this board who are OK with that too.  

A tv doctor said when asked, we might have a new normal where covid is just another preventable illness and part of yearly vaccinations. We might never get completely rid of it.

I expect a new normal to evolve. I dont have to like it but I also am not sure things ever go completely back to how they were pre covid. Many tech things like zoom, and scanning codes, hotels with touchless cards to open them might be here to stay.

17 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Thanks for revealing the official date.  That means I won my pool.  I had 6/16/24. 😂

It all depends on how quickly the variants take hold. If the variants become the primary strain in the US then perhaps it will delay our return to a "new normal". Pfizer CEO says Covid is here to stay and will turn into a common cold-like illness. I don't see us reaching vaccine herd immunity until Q4. I can foresee mask mandates well into 2022 on land and until 2024 on ships. People come from around the globe to board these ships, until Covid is controlled around the globe, preventative measures will be required. I think it would be best to limit passengers to the country of embarkation only and/or require vaccines. But they will need to come up with a verifiable method of vaccination proof via QR code or online app. These stupid paper cards they are giving out can be easily faked.

I think we have learned a lot about how lazy we were with prevention & sanitation before. There is no reason we should lose 30-90K people every year to the flu. There is no excuse for norovirus outbreaks on ships anymore. I think our new normal will be more sanitized than before and I hope we can prevent unnecessary deaths & infections.