I Guess Alaska Cruises Will Be Cancelled Soon

21 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I don’t see the land border crossings opening either.

Probably not, but it's something we could do on the spur of the moment if the border would open up.

• Like 1

I realize that this is a RCCL board, but Princess released the following statement earlier today.  Still hope for a land vacation.

Statement on Canadian Transport Minister Passenger Vessel Restrictions through February 2022, due to COVID-19

February 4, 2021 12:40PM PT

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. – We are disappointed to learn about Canada’s decision to extend the interim order that prohibits cruise ships from sailing in its waters and calling on Canadian ports through February 2022 (one year from now). This extension, if not amended as pandemic conditions improve, or through action by US authorities, would require us to cancel our Alaska (West Coast) and Canada / New England (East Coast) cruise vacation seasons this year. Given the unexpected length of the order, it will take us some time to assess whether there are any options to preserve a portion of the 2021 Alaska season.

We will be consulting authorities in both the US and Canada before we take any additional action. Our highest responsibility and top priorities include operational and environmental compliance, protecting the environment, and the health, safety and well-being of our guests, the communities we visit, and our crew and shoreside employees. The cruise industry has demonstrated its commitment to health and safety through the development of extensive protocols in consultation with a panel of world-class medical experts, which will be implemented when we resume service. In addition, we recognize our importance to the economic health of many Alaskan communities and will continue to pursue any option which might permit safe operation of any portion of the season.

Though our cruise program is presently uncertain, today we are committing to operate our Denali, Fairbanks and Kenai lodges this summer to support land vacations in Alaska’s magnificent interior. We will continue to maintain a focus on what we can do to support our fellow Alaska businesses, the thousands of people who rely on the tourism industry, and the regions in which we operate.

While this is beyond our control, we remain committed to operating any portion of our Alaska season and we are hopeful that positive progress relative to the pandemic accelerates to the point that the Canadian Transport Minister will rescind the interim order and allow cruise vacations to resume in 2021.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

RCG sunsetted the Lift & Shift Program on 1/31/21 and stated they would not be resuming it in future.  So anyone hoping to L&S 2021 AK sailings to 2022 is most likely out of luck.  It looks likely that it will either be refund or FCC at this point and rebooking at prevailing (sky-high!) fares.

When the canceled the Quantum they implemented L&S for those sailings.  They did cut the window to +/- one week.

6 hours ago, Ashland said:

So wondering if RCI will cancel my Oct 2021 Canada/NE out of Cape Liberty or just try and change the itinerary? I'm hoping they'll now cancel before final due date.

Same here.  We are booked on a 9 night one in september on Freedom.  They may change to bermuda but I already am booked for bermuda end of august.

At least this ends the uncertainty of Alaskan cruises.  Our Quantum sailing had already been cancelled.  It's good to at least be able to get our refund and make other plans.  Very disappointing, but it's a lot easier for me to deal with facts instead of speculation.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mek said:

Probably not, but it's something we could do on the spur of the moment if the border would open up.

As a 49 year old Canadian my current expected vaccine date is the end of September to April of 2022. This is at the rates we are getting them now.  If it continues that way I would not expect it open any time soon. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

As a 49 year old Canadian my current expected vaccine date is the end of September to April of 2022. This is at the rates we are getting them now.  If it continues that way I would not expect it open any time soon. 

That is sad to hear - for you and for me.  I would love to visit the Canadian rockies someday and I'm sorry the program is rolling out so slowly for everyone up north.

36 minutes ago, mek said:

That is sad to hear - for you and for me.  I would love to visit the Canadian rockies someday and I'm sorry the program is rolling out so slowly for everyone up north.

I can only hope it goes from 1st gear to 6th.

Edited by A&L_Ont

2 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I can only hope it goes from 1st gear to 6th.

I got my 1st shot on Wednesday, although it was not easy to find a place with an available appointment.

I hope it gets better for everyone, everywhere.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, mek said:

I got my 1st shot on Wednesday, although it was not easy to find a place with an available appointment.

I hope it gets better for everyone, everywhere.  Good luck.

We don't get to book them here in Canada, at least as of now.  The Federal and Provincial Governments are targeting groups selectively.  In my province residents in LTC and some retirements homes deemed to be at higher risk have been vaccinated.  Not all staff in those facilities or hospitals have had both, let alone one needle.

We will take all the luck you are giving. 

CNN is reporting more vaccine shots than new cases yesterday. Very good news for the US. Sadly our lack of vaccine production facilities means Canada is much further down on the distribution list.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jean87510 said:

That's exactly what we are doing!  Husband is going to adjust airline tickets to round trip to Anchorage.  I like this better.  I can hike and explore on my time rather than an excursion.

We rented a car in Anchorage & did an 8 day land trip on our own before our 7 night cruise in Alaska & it was awesome.  Went as far as Denali stopping in Talkeetna, then over to Seward.  If you get a chance go on a Major Marine tour to the Kenai Fjords, it was fabulous!! Our son just moved to Fairbanks in December and loves it up there!!

• Like 2

On 2/4/2021 at 11:35 PM, Terry Mc said:

Hopefully they find a way. 

Some are trying but unlikely to yield anything:

Two potential avenues for foreign-flag cruise ships to sail in Alaska without violating US cabotage are seen as unlikely.

Operators like Carnival Corp. & plc and Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings have said they are looking at options which might permit safe operation of any portion of the season.

One of those, the idea of Canada allowing 'technical' stops for cruise ships carrying passengers, without anyone disembarking, is not currently on the table, a Transport Canada spokesperson told Seatrade Cruise News.

PVSA exemption a high hurdle

And exemptions to the US Passenger Vessel Services Act are seen as very unlikely, multiple cruise industry sources said.

'The hurdle to get an exemption to the Passenger Vessel Services Act is substantial,' according to Capt. Dan Blanchard, CEO, UnCruise Adventures.

UnCruise would support a short-term exemption

As a US-flag operator, UnCruise Adventures is protected from competition by foreign-flag vessels by this very regulation. (And UnCruise isn't impacted by Canada's decision and will sail in Alaska this year.) However, Blanchard — an Alaskan —would support a four- to six-month exemption to the PVSA to get the big ships back and avoid the 'devastating' impact on communities that will result from Canada's ban.

'We need the big ships in Alaska.' he said.

'I can't speak for my other small-ship [US-flag] partners, but UnCruise Adventures would support a short-term exemption,' Blanchard stated Friday, adding this had been discussed on a call with Cruise Lines International Association Thursday night.

But Blanchard doubts Congress has the political will to do this, and he noted there's no historical precedent for it.

As for Canada, 'There's no advantage to Canada for allowing technical calls. They're calling it very tight on COVID, and I honor that,' Blanchard said.

Transport Canada's stance on 'technical' calls

'Cruise ships without passengers may apply 60 days in advance for an exemption to come to Canada for fuel, supplies, longer term storage and planned crew change requests,' a Transport Canada spokesman told Seatrade Cruise News in an email. 'In reviewing the decision to grant any exemptions, Transport Canada will work extensively with their partners [Public Health Agency of Canada, other levels of government, health officials, transportation industry stakeholders, Indigenous and Inuit peoples, and affected communities].

'At this time, technical stops for cruise ships with passengers are not allowed,' the spokesperson said.

'The limited exemptions for cruise ships without passengers are in place to allow public health authorities to continue focusing on the most pressing issues, including the vaccine rollout and new COVID-19 variants.'

The spokesperson reiterated Transport Canada's position in deciding to block cruise ships until Feb. 28, 2022: 'Cruise vessels in Canadian waters pose a risk to our health care systems. The government of Canada will continue to evaluate the situation and make changes as necessary to ensure the health and safety of all Canadians. Should the COVID-19 pandemic sufficiently improve to allow the resumption of these activities, the Minister of Transport has the ability to rescind the interim orders.'

Canada says no to 'technical' calls, PVSA exemption unlikely (seatrade-cruise.com)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Many cruise ships sailing to alaska sail via Seattle- and go to alaska- if the USA allows cruising- and the ships do not stop in Canada- they might still sail. 

That's the point, they can't sail without a Canadian port stop.

4 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

They will only be cancelling cruises as needed. It says that the Minister of Transportation has the ability to cancel the ban if things improve enough. If it does is anybody's guess.

And he’ll lift the Ban on Oct 1.

I’m not sure why anyone thinks that any restrictions will be lifted early.  So far I only recall restrictions being lengthened and not shortened. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

And he’ll lift the Ban on Oct 1.

I’m not sure why anyone thinks that any restrictions will be lifted early.  So far I only recall restrictions being lengthened and not shortened. 

In your opinion, will the CDC’s restrictions on cruises  >7 nights (to/from US ports) that depart before Nov. 1 - also hold?

On 2/4/2021 at 7:05 PM, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I did not attend that particular webinar and the revised T&C of the CWC program do not indicate the program may be offered on future rounds of sailing suspensions, so that is what I was going from.  I do not doubt she said it, but it is not in writing that it is a "definite" - but these days what is "definite" in any respect??!!!  LOL  The ability to L&S a 2nd time if RCG suspend a sailing that had already been voluntarily L&S is not new, but the additional language in the T&C of CWC referencing it is new.

The general L&S program was being HEAVILY abused by consumers with many booking the cheapest 2021 sailing they could find and then L&S to a far more expensive 2022 sailing on a different ship.  In many respects the program was designed to provide flexibility to consumers during an uncertain time, but also opened a big can of worms for consumers to game the system!

As with so much these days - it's available until it becomes unavailable and unavailable until it becomes available

The program was not being heavily abused. It poured a tremendous amount of cash into Royal’s bank accounts. They knew it would be a bit of a loss leader,  but THEY needed the money, THEY made the rules, THEY took the money. 

No one abused anything, and it’s kind of insulting to claim so. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The program was not being heavily abused. It poured a tremendous amount of cash into Royal’s bank accounts. They knew it would be a bit of a loss leader,  but THEY needed the money, THEY made the rules, THEY took the money. 

No one abused anything, and it’s kind of insulting to claim so. 

When multiple consumers call and ask you to find the CHEAPEST sailing you can find within certain dates, and want you to check and see if the actual ships/date they want to sail on qualifies for under L&S and then immediately request to L&S to the most expensive ship/sailing that qualifies, all with the intent of NEVER sailing on the cruise they initially booked I'd definitely call that abusing the program.  That was never the intent from Royal and I think once they had time to analyze booking patterns and see what was happening was when they decided to close the loophole and end the program.

Of course if RCG hadn't massively jacked up 2021/22 pricing on so many sailings then it would have been a moot point!