Canadian government CANCELS 2021 Alaska cruise Season

Oren

1 hour ago, MarkWiltonM said:

Royal Caribbean's website says the Jones Act and the Passenger Services Act are the same:

"The Jones Act (also known as the Passenger Services Act) does not allow ships of Non-U.S registry to embark and debark guests at two different U.S ports, since travel between U.S. ports is prohibited on foreign flagged ships."

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/jones-act

Is this incorrect? I read the same thing on Crystal Cruises' website: https://www.crystalcruises.com/legal/jones-act-cabotage-law

Yes, it's incorrect.  It's not the Jones Act, period.   The PVSA is the PVSA.  And it's also incorrect to say that "travel between U.S. ports is prohibited on foreign flagged ships."   All those ships need to do is stop at a "distant foreign port" along they way.

Pretty sad.

2 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

This is basic cruising knowledge dealing with ship size...  Sorry.

Well of course it is, come on who among us does not think about and discuss on board our cruise.  🙄🙄🙄

"100,000 tons displacement and easily exceed 200,000 deadweight tons which is a calculated measure of volume"

7 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Well of course it is, come on who among us does not think about and discuss on board our cruise.  🙄🙄🙄

"100,000 tons displacement and easily exceed 200,000 deadweight tons which is a calculated measure of volume"

And trivia quizzes so often ask such questions as "How many long tons does the USS Zumwalt displace?"

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

But seriously, is it obvious that a shipyard that makes aircraft carriers can and would care to build a cruise ship?  There must be one or two design differences...

Well, they laid the keel in 2009 and finally delivered the not yet complete carrier in 2017, just in time to avoid busting the Congressional construction ceiling of around $12.7B. First actual operational deployment is scheduled for 2022...

The Ford class does have the latest generation reactors at sea. 

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

And trivia quizzes so often ask such questions as "How many long tons does the USS Zumwalt displace?"

I don't know. An unladen European Swallow has an airspeed velocity of 8-11 m/s. Now carrying a coconut would probably slow them down quite a bit...

😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

But seriously, is it obvious that a shipyard that makes aircraft carriers can and would care to build a cruise ship?  There must be one or two design differences...

At least one or two.  SS United States, which still holds the speed record for crossing the Atlantic was built in the Newport News Shipbuilding and Drydock Company, and built to US Navy standards: highly compartmentalized and convertible to a troop carrier if needed.  After all, it was built in the early 1950s and WWII was on everyone's mind and the Korea War was in progress.  Sailed her westbound across the Atlantic in the 1950s.  Learned to swim in her pool which was below decks.

3 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

At least one or two.  SS United States, which still holds the speed record for crossing the Atlantic was built in the Newport News Shipbuilding and Drydock Company, and built to US Navy standards: highly compartmentalized and convertible to a troop carrier if needed.  After all, it was built in the early 1950s and WWII was on everyone's mind and the Korea War was in progress.  Sailed her westbound across the Atlantic in the 1950s.  Learned to swim in her pool which was below decks.

The outright speed record for crossing the Atlantic is held by Destriero, built by Fincantieri. The Italian motor yacht took 2 days, 10 hours and 34 minutes to reach the British coast from New York. The record still stands.

For commercial passenger ships, Australia's Incat-built high speed catamaran Hoverspeed Great Britain,  broke the record previously held by the SS United States,  on June 23, 1990. In June 1998,  another Incat-built ship Catalonia took the record, then just a month later, in July 1998, yet another ship built by Incat, the CatLink V, set a new record which it still holds today.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fouremco said:

The outright speed record for crossing the Atlantic is held by Destriero, built by Fincantieri. The Italian motor yacht took 2 days, 10 hours and 34 minutes to reach the British coast from New York. The record still stands.

For commercial passenger ships, Australia's Incat-built high speed catamaran Hoverspeed Great Britain,  broke the record previously held by the SS United States,  on June 23, 1990. In June 1998,  another Incat-built ship Catalonia took the record, then just a month later, in July 1998, yet another ship built by Incat, the CatLink V, set a new record which it still holds today.

And a British Airways Concorde crossed in 3 hours and 30 minutes (LHR to IAD) in 1976.  In 1961 A B-58 flew New York to Paris in 3 hours 19 minutes 51 Seconds.  In addition, the Space Shuttle took less than 10 minutes to cross in LEO.  The average cruise ship today travels at 20-22 knots (about 25 mph)!

Edited by Ride-The-Waves

There is a new topic in the forums saying that these Alaska cruises are being lifted and shifted. I contacted my TA and got the following response.

At this time, the cruise lines are weighing their options.  There are grassroots efforts to ask the federal government to waive the provisions of the PVSA (sometimes mis-identified as the Jones Act) for this summer to allow cruises without a foreign port call.  The cruise lines may lobby for the same.  There may be solutions which can be created, it’s just too soon to know.  

We are on top of the issue though and we recommend waiting for a final determination from the cruise lines how they are going to deal with the sailings.  My agency is in direct communications with the lines, and I will reach out to you as soon as decisions are made by Celebrity giving you your options. 

21 minutes ago, mimbecky said:

There is a new topic in the forums saying that these Alaska cruises are being lifted and shifted. I contacted my TA and got the following response.

At this time, the cruise lines are weighing their options.  There are grassroots efforts to ask the federal government to waive the provisions of the PVSA (sometimes mis-identified as the Jones Act) for this summer to allow cruises without a foreign port call.  The cruise lines may lobby for the same.  There may be solutions which can be created, it’s just too soon to know.  

We are on top of the issue though and we recommend waiting for a final determination from the cruise lines how they are going to deal with the sailings.  My agency is in direct communications with the lines, and I will reach out to you as soon as decisions are made by Celebrity giving you your options. 

This is fine if your cruise was going out of Seattle, but does no good for Vancouver and inside passage cruises. 

4 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

This is fine if your cruise was going out of Seattle, but does no good for Vancouver and inside passage cruises. 

On Friday we will know the full details of what will happen.  My TA - contrary to what some have reported - was told full info out Friday.  The expectations are for cancellation for all effected 2021 cruises and L&S in place for 2022.

The chance of the cruise industry getting a PVSA waiver in time for Alaska cruises is zero.  Fain stated 6-8 weeks to get ships ready after most crew is on board.  Crew transport today is simply put almost impossible.  If crew on board April 1st then ships could do test cruises in June.  Then they need the ports to open and Alaska quarantine rules to be relaxed.  

The health people control that - not the Chambers of Commerce.

2021 will see little cruising until fall.  Same situation in Caribbean and Europe.

43 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I thought the inside passage was in Alaska.  If not then it will be an issue for everyone pretty much.

5 minutes ago, mimbecky said:

I thought the inside passage was in Alaska.  If not then it will be an issue for everyone pretty much.

The inside passage begins in Canadian waters and ends in US waters. It begins shortly after leaving Vancouver and continues as you travel north between Vancouver Island  to the west and the BC mainland to the east.

Most Alaska cruises from Seattle go west of Vancouver Island and by-pass the inside passage.

On 2/5/2021 at 10:17 AM, Ride-The-Waves said:

Halifax is often bypassed because of weather.  Its really doesn't offer much except for the lobster shack and the Titanic cemetery.

Halifax is magical and offers MUCH. I'm sorry that you didn't get the full experience in your time here. It's a walkable port but that isn't the best part of the city and surrounding area, by a long shot. I could offer some great recommendations for amazing gastro experiences...no lobster included 🙂 

Edited by sydbarrett
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, sydbarrett said:

Halifax is magical and offers MUCH. I'm sorry that you didn't get the full experience in your time here. It's a walkable port but that isn't the best part of the city and surrounding area, by a long shot. I could offer some great recommendations for amazing gastro experiences...no lobster included 🙂 

We have not cruised the eastern side of Canada - but would love to in the future!!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Von & John said:

We have not cruised the eastern side of Canada - but would love to in the future!!!

I should preface that w/ saying we have visited parts of Eastern Canada via plane & road trips and would like to further our enjoyment of Eastern Canada via a Cruise 🙂

Edited by Von & John