Jump to content

2021 Alaskan cruise season will be cancelled


Hobie
 Share

Recommended Posts

If one wants to sail on an Alaskan cruise, the time has arrived for personal efforts being applied to Members of Congress to change the laws/regulations that prevent cruise ships sailing from one American port to other American ports without also having to make a visit to a foreign port.  

 

At the time the laws/regulation were put in place, there were good reasons for doing so.  It is now pandemic plagued 2021 with the hospitality/leisure/cruise industry in severe dire straits.  Times and conditions have changed.  Laws/regulations need to reflect the new reality.

 

If you really care about a 2021 Alaska or Canada/New England season, your Senators and Member of the House of Representative is as close as their web site where e-mails can be sent.  Phone numbers are provided for you to call as well.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

If one wants to sail on an Alaskan cruise, the time has arrived for personal efforts being applied to Members of Congress to change the laws/regulations that prevent cruise ships sailing from one American port to other American ports without also having to make a visit to a foreign port.  

 

At the time the laws/regulation were put in place, there were good reasons for doing so.  It is now pandemic plagued 2021 with the hospitality/leisure/cruise industry in severe dire straits.  Times and conditions have changed.  Laws/regulations need to reflect the new reality.

 

If you really care about a 2021 Alaska or Canada/New England season, your Senators and Member of the House of Representative is as close as their web site where e-mails can be sent.  Phone numbers are provided for you to call as well.  

That has zero chance of happening as long as the profits of the cruise lines incorporated in foreign countries and operating foreign-flagged ships continue to be exempt from US income taxes. 

Sure, lets give a break to companies reaping huge profits for decades without having to pay a red cent in corporate income taxes, and for that matter directly employing few Americans.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We primarily cruise to Alaska every year out of Seattle. A couple of times we stopped in Prince Rupert BC, no one off, there was an exchange of paperwork and an hour later we were on our way. Another time we were scheduled to stop in Victoria BC, the wind blowing hard and the captain decided it was too dangerous to try and get into Victoria so we anchored and spend a few hours outside of Victoria, again they came out and exchanged some paperwork and we left at midnight. The Canadians may allow the ship to stop but no one go ashore. We have a Alaska cruise scheduled for late June I hate to miss another season.   

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Eaglecw said:

We primarily cruise to Alaska every year out of Seattle. A couple of times we stopped in Prince Rupert BC, no one off, there was an exchange of paperwork and an hour later we were on our way. Another time we were scheduled to stop in Victoria BC, the wind blowing hard and the captain decided it was too dangerous to try and get into Victoria so we anchored and spend a few hours outside of Victoria, again they came out and exchanged some paperwork and we left at midnight. The Canadians may allow the ship to stop but no one go ashore. We have a Alaska cruise scheduled for late June I hate to miss another season.   

 

How many years ago was the last time the ship had its only Canadian "port call" as Prince Rupert, with no passengers disembarking ? For quite some time the US has not permitted that type of technical stop to be considered a legal port call under the Passenger Vessel Services Act.

 

An exemption may have been granted for the missed port call in Victoria caused by weather conditions, so that doesn't fall into the same category.

 

Even if the Canadian government were to permit the type of technical port call you're describing it would not satisfy US law.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Eaglecw said:

We primarily cruise to Alaska every year out of Seattle. A couple of times we stopped in Prince Rupert BC, no one off, there was an exchange of paperwork and an hour later we were on our way. Another time we were scheduled to stop in Victoria BC, the wind blowing hard and the captain decided it was too dangerous to try and get into Victoria so we anchored and spend a few hours outside of Victoria, again they came out and exchanged some paperwork and we left at midnight. The Canadians may allow the ship to stop but no one go ashore. We have a Alaska cruise scheduled for late June I hate to miss another season.   

 

Sorry but your June cruise is not happening.  Cruises will not be allowed in Canadian waters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Two points: HAL called today and informed me that my Fall 2021 ALASKA cruises are hereby cancelled. Secondly, US  Pres. Biden publicly stated his support for ‘No foreign-flagged shipping for domestic sailings’. With that, I have kissed ALASKA g’bye for 2021. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

If one wants to sail on an Alaskan cruise, the time has arrived for personal efforts being applied to Members of Congress to change the laws/regulations that prevent cruise ships sailing from one American port to other American ports without also having to make a visit to a foreign port.  

 

At the time the laws/regulation were put in place, there were good reasons for doing so.  It is now pandemic plagued 2021 with the hospitality/leisure/cruise industry in severe dire straits.  Times and conditions have changed.  Laws/regulations need to reflect the new reality.

 

If you really care about a 2021 Alaska or Canada/New England season, your Senators and Member of the House of Representative is as close as their web site where e-mails can be sent.  Phone numbers are provided for you to call as well.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Carried to an extreme, how about this: Would it be OK for a 5,000/passenger ‘foreign-flagged’ Mega-ship to permanently dock along say, San Diego Pier. Charge $80/bucks p/p per day with ALL-Inclusive pkgs., have tours to the Zoo, Para-sailing etc., pay their help $2/bucks/hr., pay no US TAX, no FICA or worker’s comp, then every so often go out to Int’l waters for some Casino gambling and a garbage incineration event then return?  I think not. Firstly, you could kiss $300/night San Diego hotels and restaurants’ owners and their employees G’bye. But that’s kinda what cruiselines do now, because if they hit just 1 foreign Port then the US can’t touch em. Rock bottom Wages and Taxes make cruising work. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, LocoLoco1 said:

Two points: HAL called today and informed me that my Fall 2021 ALASKA cruises are hereby cancelled. Secondly, US  Pres. Biden publicly stated his support for ‘No foreign-flagged shipping for domestic sailings’. With that, I have kissed ALASKA g’bye for 2021. 

"HAL" called you...hmmm I thought they sent out emails.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, LocoLoco1 said:

US  Pres. Biden publicly stated his support for ‘No foreign-flagged shipping for domestic sailings’

 

I am not doubting what you have posted because it is in accordance with our law/regulations.  Are you able to provide a direct source for President Biden's statement?   I am interested in reading it in connection with the President said and was asked.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

 

I am not doubting what you have posted because it is in accordance with our law/regulations.  Are you able to provide a direct source for President Biden's statement?   I am interested in reading it in connection with the President said and was asked.  

My sense is that LL1 may have interpreted some statements that came out recently withe the President’s signing of the Buy American EO which signalled strong support for the Jones Act (not PVSA).  Here is a brief excerpt from a trade magazine with a real interest in the matter:

 

The President will continue to be a strong advocate for the Jones Act and its mandate that only U.S.-flag vessels carry cargo between U.S. ports, which supports American production and America’s workers,” according to a summary of the Executive Ordered, released today by The White House. “With the signing of the 2021 National Defense Authorization Act, the Jones Act has also been affirmed as an opportunity to invest in America’s workers as we build offshore renewable energy, in line with the President’s goals to build our clean energy future here in America.”

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/4/2021 at 5:52 PM, cruiseryyc said:

the good folks in Alaska might not want cruise ships and their thousands of passengers this summer either.

 

Regarding the pandemic:  yes.  You are probably correct.  But, there is also another side of this story.

 

My Nephew and his family are Alaskan citizens.  The arrival of tourist season is a season of mixed emotions for many Alaskans.  Particularly for those who have been or are engaged in the tourist/hospitality/leisure industry.  

 

My Nephew's career is not in such an industry.  His family has benefited because of his employment as a part-time worker in the tourist industry during the tourist season.  There are those Alaskan citizens whose jobs were directly related to we, the tourists, to help provide them employment.  

 

With the news that the 2021 Alaska season is "toast", I am very concerned about these folks.  

 

Consider the restaurants, cafes, venues, privately operated tours, etc. that we have all patronized during visits to our 49th State.  How much longer will some of these companies be able to exist with another year of no or few tourist dollars?  

 

Do you want to visit Alaska with the plans to dine at a favorite restaurant remembering the best Halibut and Chips you ever ate only to find that the restaurant folded?  

 

The fallout of this news exceeds just "no cruises" to Alaska for 2021.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

The President will continue to be a strong advocate for the Jones Act and its mandate that only U.S.-flag vessels carry cargo between U.S. ports, which supports American production and America’s workers,” according to a summary of the Executive Ordered, released today by The White House. “With the signing of the 2021 National Defense Authorization Act, the Jones Act has also been affirmed as an opportunity to invest in America’s workers as we build offshore renewable energy, in line with the President’s goals to build our clean energy future here in America.”

 

Thanks for providing this.  I support the President's clean energy future goals.  But, what does the Jones Act have to do with this goal?  

 

Are cruise passengers considered "cargo"?  Supporting American workers: are those who work for port agents, longshoremen, companies that supply the ships, those who produce the products to supply the ships, work in the offices of the cruise companies, those who work as travel agents who sell the  cruises,  etc. not American taxpayers and citizens?  

 

It's long past time that the Jones Act needs to be revised to reflect the realities of the 21st Century.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for providing this.  I support the President's clean energy future goals.  But, what does the Jones Act have to do with this goal?  

Beats me.  I just repeated something from a trade magazine.  Additionally, I don’t believe the President is pondering the cruise industry's problems and/or the PVSA much.... let alone the disappointments of many beached cruisers.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/4/2021 at 7:37 PM, LocoLoco1 said:

Two points: HAL called today and informed me that my Fall 2021 ALASKA cruises are hereby cancelled. Secondly, US  Pres. Biden publicly stated his support for ‘No foreign-flagged shipping for domestic sailings’. With that, I have kissed ALASKA g’bye for 2021. 

I have attempted to verify the statement supposedly attributed to President Biden. I can find no reference to this statement. Please provide a reference (i.e., web link) to support your comment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Cool_Dude said:

I have attempted to verify the statement supposedly attributed to President Biden. I can find no reference to this statement. Please provide a reference (i.e., web link) to support your comment. 

Seems President Biden was referring to the Jones Act and not the Passenger Vessel Services Act which regulates cruise ships.

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/biden-supports-jones-act-shipping-with-new-buy-american-order

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

Regarding the pandemic:  yes.  You are probably correct.  But, there is also another side of this story.

 

My Nephew and his family are Alaskan citizens.  The arrival of tourist season is a season of mixed emotions for many Alaskans.  Particularly for those who have been or are engaged in the tourist/hospitality/leisure industry.  

 

My Nephew's career is not in such an industry.  His family has benefited because of his employment as a part-time worker in the tourist industry during the tourist season.  There are those Alaskan citizens whose jobs were directly related to we, the tourists, to help provide them employment.  

 

With the news that the 2021 Alaska season is "toast", I am very concerned about these folks.  

 

Consider the restaurants, cafes, venues, privately operated tours, etc. that we have all patronized during visits to our 49th State.  How much longer will some of these companies be able to exist with another year of no or few tourist dollars?  

 

Do you want to visit Alaska with the plans to dine at a favorite restaurant remembering the best Halibut and Chips you ever ate only to find that the restaurant folded?  

 

The fallout of this news exceeds just "no cruises" to Alaska for 2021.  

The same issues are happening everywhere tourism is the main industry.  I feel for everyone in the tourist, restaurant, small business industries.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Glaciers said:

Seems President Biden was referring to the Jones Act and not the Passenger Vessel Services Act which regulates cruise ships.

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/biden-supports-jones-act-shipping-with-new-buy-american-order

 

 

 

So, I guess the question with what to do about the Passenger Vessel Services Act is this:  are "passengers" cargo or are they not?

 

I support President Biden's support of the Jones Act as it applies to cargo.  It is the PVSA that seems to need to be revised at this point in time.

 

19 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Additionally, I don’t believe the President is pondering the cruise industry's problems and/or the PVSA much.... let alone the disappointments of many beached cruiser

 

Agree.  President Biden has enough experience to know what "main dishes" need to be foremost on his plate.  The cruise industry's problems, if he is aware of them, have to be in a small side dish well away from his main plate.  However, the industry's problems ought to attract the attention of the Secretaries of Labor, Commerce, and Transportation.  Some creative thinking is needed to help an industry not to collapse and to help put those who have worked in that industry back on the job.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/4/2021 at 1:52 PM, cruiseryyc said:

Ummm - the good folks in Alaska might not want cruise ships and their thousands of passengers this summer either.

Yeah... we need the economic activity Come on up! Wear your mask and there's plenty of room for social distancing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...