Canada extend cruise ban till Feb 2022

transatlantic fan

On 2/11/2021 at 10:39 AM, ew101 said:

Nobody wants the now familiar Coast Guard radio call: "Err yea somehow we have 150 COVID-19 cases aboard.  Can you send your helicopters to rescue them?  And a lot of them need ventilators?  We are clearly in distress here..." 

I'm sure our government has not forgotten the serious situation on the Grand Princess and other ships.

Although the Minister has not indicated the reasons for the ban being for a full year, it is possible that it was deemed less disruptive than imposing a short ban which might have to be extended. If the ban was for six months, which would take it to the height of the summer season, it would cause huge problems if it was necessary to extend it on short notice.

Although there is  provision in the order that it can be rescinded depending on circumstances, this would be of little or no help to cruise lines which can hardly start up at short notice in the middle of a cancelled season. There is no easy way to deal with this situation.

Even if ships are permitted to sail (and I don't mean just in Canada) there is a concern of passengers testing positive during a cruise. As we have seen with the Quantum of the Seas incident, a  false positive test can result in a ship being locked down and returned to port.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5780/

Incidents from Europe and last year's limited Alaska season are mentioned here:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5631/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, avalon1025 said:

Booked on an Oct 2021 cruise from Quebec, assume its cancelled.  Has anyone received any notice from Cunard for these 2021 Canada sailings?

My travel agent has the same information that is posted on Cunard's home page: new bookings have been suspended for the three Canada voyages but they are not cancelled. I am also booked from Québec in October and am not hopeful that the voyage can take place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, babs135 said:

With the slow rollout of the vaccine programme in Canada do you think the early part of Alaska's season may be in doubt?  Thinking of changing our booking for this year to Alaska and wonder if we'd be better looking at July.

There won't be any cruise ships stopping in Vancouver or Victoria at all this year, we will miss them, but I think that puts paid to any Alaska cruises.  Probably the Alaska State Ferries will continue to run, but   foreign-flagged passenger vessels  have to have a stop in a "foreign port".  The only other option would be if the US allows an exemption to the PVSA.