vaccination against Covid-19 required when river cruising - news, policies, companies

notamermaid

6 hours ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

Cruise line is just another challenge, still not the final one. The final challenges are the requirements of your home country regarding returning from abroad.

Excellent point. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That private companies cannot purchase Covid vaccines is not exactly true. My 29 yr old daughter got her Johnson and Johnson vaccine at work a couple of weeks ago here in the States. She works for an oil company. They somehow acquired 100 "soon to be expiring doses". An email was sent out late one afternoon that said the vaccines had to be injected by noon the next day. Also, if they didn't use all of the doses, they would not be able to receive any more of them in the future. (They have since secured more.) 

(Her company was also able to secure the Abbott Covid rapid tests VERY early on last Spring when no one was able to get tested.)

Edited by land64shark

American Cruise Lines is now requiring vaccination proof before boarding. According to posts on the ACL forum, passengers on a cruise leaving this week were just notified this past Friday; there is nothing on ACL’s website about this requirement.

• 2 weeks later...

I have spoken to an online sales assistant of the operator for the German market AmaWaterways river cruises, due to start sailing again in May. He said that they will not require passengers to be vaccinated as there are too few people vaccinated, so this would rule out a large chunk of their potential customers. Testing will happen but the details are not laid out yet.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Wrong word

Pretty hot topic on the Viking board.  Most say they will pull out of cruising on Viking if vaccinations aren’t required.  The US seems to be ahead in this regard which may be the reason for strong feelings about it.  I realize others countries are not as fortunate in the roll out. I do agree with them though and would only resume ship/boat travel where vaccines are required.  I sincerely wish good luck to AMA-waterways.  It’s time to get on with life and work.

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Pretty hot topic on the Viking board.  Most say they will pull out of cruising on Viking if vaccinations aren’t required.  The US seems to be ahead in this regard which may be the reason for strong feelings about it.  I realize others countries are not as fortunate in the roll out. I do agree with them though and would only resume ship/boat travel where vaccines are required.  I sincerely wish good luck to AMA-waterways.  It’s time to get on with life and work.

While that is true of the German market sailings of Ama, it might not be true when they can actually open cruising to their regular English-speaking markets.

10 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

While that is true of the German market sailings of Ama, it might not be true when they can actually open cruising to their regular English-speaking markets.

I agree. For the moment this is only the policy for those special cruises from May to August. Not sure at the moment when the last "German" sailing is. By July or August - if the regular cruises run by then - so many customers in the English-speaking countries will have had a vaccine that they may consider a vaccine requirement.

notamermaid 

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking at a West Africa cruise on Variety Cruises for Jan 2022 and called them today. They have "not yet decided" if they are requiring vaccines of passengers.  I allowed as how many might rather not cruise if they were not certain all pax and staff had had the vaccine.  The woman I spoke to was very nice but said they still had no word from the head office. It makes it hard to plan ahead.