Jump to content

How does this affect Alaska cruises that stop at Vancouver ?


Recommended Posts

Bottom line. It cancels them.  There will be zero cruises to Alaska in 2021.  Expect an announcement from the various cruiselines within a few days.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like they are already beginning to shut them down. The 2021 Freedom cruises are still listed on the web site, but you can't book them. I've been watching a casino deal recognizing there was a high probability of cancellation (I would be happy with the $600 OBC), but that can't be booked now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can find a Panama Canal cruise to/from Alaska, that would be okay. Or an around the world cruise that stops in Alaska.

 

Or course, the small US flagged ships don't have a foreign port requirement.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

If you can find a Panama Canal cruise to/from Alaska, that would be okay. Or an around the world cruise that stops in Alaska.

 

Or course, the small US flagged ships don't have a foreign port requirement.

A few transpacific cruises do stop in Alaska.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I truly feel bad for the people of the coastal towns that depend greatly for tourism and the cruise ships for their income.

 

I wonder if you could just stop in VA (for the night lets say) and not allow passengers on or off to comply with the PVSA?

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

I wonder if you could just stop in VA (for the night lets say) and not allow passengers on or off to comply with the PVSA?

Cruise lines used to get away with these "technical stops" but the government cracked down on those. (I remember a cruise from San Diego to Hawaii in 2003 that stopped in Ensenada late at night just long enough for the Captain to sign the log. Those days are gone.) A technical stop in Canada won't work as Canada has closed their waters (not just the ports) to cruise ships.  I suspect ships leaving Seattle might have to work to avoid Canadian waters passing through the Strait of Juan de Fuca. The US government could suspend the PVSA altogether, but that would open up US water to any foreign flagged ship with probably a lot of unintended consequences.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

I truly feel bad for the people of the coastal towns that depend greatly for tourism and the cruise ships for their income.

 

 

As somebody who flew a lot and worked in Alaska, I can tell you that very few people in Alaska depends on the cruise industry for income. Almost all the store fronts are shut down and boarded up during the non cruising season. When the cruise season did open up, the stores and excursion vendors would hire people from the lower 48 to come up to work the cruise season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2021 at 3:30 PM, klfrodo said:

As somebody who flew a lot and worked in Alaska, I can tell you that very few people in Alaska depends on the cruise industry for income. Almost all the store fronts are shut down and boarded up during the non cruising season. When the cruise season did open up, the stores and excursion vendors would hire people from the lower 48 to come up to work the cruise season.

 

Perhaps, but on our few trips there, several hikes, river rafting and various tours were performed by folks who traveled there strictly for the cruise season. Not to mention the great tour guides who made extra money during the "season".

 

They might not be dependant on it, but it's income none the less that they are now not receiving.

 

You can't argue double digit unemployment rates (even though its from this summer) https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/2020/07/31/alaska-unemployment-rate-in-double-digits-due-to-pandemic/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Crystal Cruises - New! Luxury Bahamas Escapes
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...