Jump to content

Grandfather sentenced for death of granddaughter


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

He's a moron, plain and simple.

 

This was our conclusion.

 

We were on the Freedom of the Seas out of San Juan, for 6 weeks, so we had plenty of time to wander around the ship.  One day we thought about the accident and visited the area where it happened.

One of the officers we met was literally shaking when she said that crew members who responded were traumatized.

 

We stood by the railing.  Even though I'm visually impaired, I could easily tell that the window was open.  I can feel the breeze coming through the open window which was nice because that location was also a smoking area.

 

Standing by the railing, we imagined for second why would someone place a small child on top of this railing? It would be stupid.  Second, if a person was stupid enough to place a small child on that railing and lost their grip...that child would fall down on the deck floor...there's approximately an 18 inch gap/space between the railing and the window.  In other words, the grandfather would have to stretch his arms out the window, hanging to the child........for that child to fall down the pavement.

 

The grandfather's story or excuse just doesn't add up. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, CraigG said:

I think the parents would have to be depraved sociopaths to allow this to go to trial. I'm sure their attorneys have made clear to them how it would play out. If it were my child, re-living this event over and over, complete with audio and video would drive me stark raving mad.  

 

The mother is a federal prosecutor, the father is in law enforcement; they know exactly what they are doing, and what the potential windfall will be. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

The Gorilla Glue hair lady is a prime example. How many warnings and signs does one need, but yet here comes the lawsuit. 

Common Sense doesn't seem to be used in many situations in life.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

I am a step-grandmother with no kids of my own. Not that this matters but I was unable to carry a child to term. I became good friends with my DHs ex-wife when we got together. It was what was best for my stepson and I actually enjoyed spending time with her. 

My step-granddaughter was born 3 years after my DHs ex-wife passed away. I am the only grandmother she knows on my stepsons side. (When she gets older we will tell her about Tina, but that is a different post) 

I am about the same age as the step-grandfather... I understand what you are saying that maybe he didn't have kids of his own and didn't know how to handle a toddler. My argument to that is, having kids or not, common sense should kick in! 

 

Another point that has always bothered me about this case was the grandfather's statement that he picked her up to let her bang on the glass like she does at the ice hockey rink! Hello!! Ice Hockey Rinks glass are made of a very thick plexiglass. Most windows are made of glass.  I would guess the cruise ships windows are made of a plexiglass as well but not rated the same, not as thick, not made to be BANGED ON!!! 

Again, Common Sense!! 

And hockey rinks aren't 14+ stories high. And whether he had any common sense I'm assuming he could read the posted warnings signs around these windows.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CraigG said:

I think the parents would have to be depraved sociopaths to allow this to go to trial. I'm sure their attorneys have made clear to them how it would play out. If it were my child, re-living this event over and over, complete with audio and video would drive me stark raving mad.  

 

Their lawyers are known for going after cruise lines, even when there is no basis for the claim.   They also love the publicity.  What I don’t understand is that the mother is an attorney and should know better. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Their lawyers are known for going after cruise lines, even when there is no basis for the claim.   They also love the publicity.  What I don’t understand is that the mother is an attorney and should know better. 

I would like to think she was so grief stricken she was easily led.  But, that doesn’t explain why they have kept it up.  I hate to think it’s all about the money, but that’s exactly what it seems like.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Their lawyers are known for going after cruise lines, even when there is no basis for the claim.   They also love the publicity.  What I don’t understand is that the mother is an attorney and should know better. 

She is an attorney, and they all know the money at stake, so here we are. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ATG said:

I would like to think she was so grief stricken she was easily led.  But, that doesn’t explain why they have kept it up.  I hate to think it’s all about the money, but that’s exactly what it seems like.

I sometimes think that they thought they could use the lawsuit to protect the grandfather but that wasn't rational either. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

I am a step-grandmother with no kids of my own. Not that this matters but I was unable to carry a child to term. I became good friends with my DHs ex-wife when we got together. It was what was best for my stepson and I actually enjoyed spending time with her. 

My step-granddaughter was born 3 years after my DHs ex-wife passed away. I am the only grandmother she knows on my stepsons side. (When she gets older we will tell her about Tina, but that is a different post) 

I am about the same age as the step-grandfather... I understand what you are saying that maybe he didn't have kids of his own and didn't know how to handle a toddler. My argument to that is, having kids or not, common sense should kick in! 

 

Another point that has always bothered me about this case was the grandfather's statement that he picked her up to let her bang on the glass like she does at the ice hockey rink! Hello!! Ice Hockey Rinks glass are made of a very thick plexiglass. Most windows are made of glass.  I would guess the cruise ships windows are made of a plexiglass as well but not rated the same, not as thick, not made to be BANGED ON!!! 

Again, Common Sense!! 

Yes, I completely agree with you.     He definitely lacked common sense.   It is a very sad story and he should just drop the case instead of continuing to drag the family thru this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I wonder how much money the parents will give grandpa & grandma if they get a settlement?  

 

After all, without stupid grandpa starring in the leading role, there would be no money.

I doubt there will be any money to be had

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, I completely agree with you.     He definitely lacked common sense.   It is a very sad story and he should just drop the case instead of continuing to drag the family thru this. 


The grandfather is not pursuing the suit against Royal.  The parents are. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CraigG said:

I think the parents would have to be depraved sociopaths to allow this to go to trial. I'm sure their attorneys have made clear to them how it would play out. If it were my child, re-living this event over and over, complete with audio and video would drive me stark raving mad.  

 

 

1 hour ago, atanac said:

Their lawyers are driving this as they will probably take 2/3rds of whatever settlement is awarded.

 

They are all looking for a huge payday, plain & simple.

There is only one person responsible for her death and that is the grandfather. If it wasn't for his sole action, she would not have fallen.

Edited by tonit964
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ashland said:

And hockey rinks aren't 14+ stories high. And whether he had any common sense I'm assuming he could read the posted warnings signs around these windows.

I didn't know there were posted signs. Do you know what they say? 

I don't remember seeing any signs, but then again, I wouldn't hang on the railing, hold a baby out the window, bang on glass etc etc etc 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2021 at 8:54 AM, grapau27 said:

Anello was a step grandfather not related to the child and he was only 50 years old.

 

a fact rarely mentioned

 

On 2/9/2021 at 9:30 AM, njkruzer said:

I understand but the lawyer that they are using is always out for the money and always seems to assume the cruise line is wrong before investigating.   What I don't understand is that the mother is a lawyer and should know better.   

 

being a lawyer just means she knows how the game is played

 

On 2/9/2021 at 1:05 PM, A&L_Ont said:

I did not ask you, but since you responded and have a question I will answer.  

 

I think it will be settled out of court, even though RC should be able to win the case. 

 

I agree that it will be settled out of court, though not for quite a while, and results won't be broadcast.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, njkruzer said:

I sometimes think that they thought they could use the lawsuit to protect the grandfather but that wasn't rational either. 

I think the term Attack is the best form of defense could be associated here.

Anello is guilty and the family want a settlement off RC for something that was clearly Anellos fault only.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 2/9/2021 at 10:21 AM, tinkertwo said:

I think it's more trying to come to an understanding.  Trying to put the blame where they can move on.  Yes, there is money involved but I think it's more to give them closure.  It's not right but I really think it's for personal feelings, not personal gain.  

JMO.

I think it’s all about the money. They just don’t want to accept the fact that the grandfather killed their daughter. 

 

On 2/9/2021 at 11:22 AM, John&LaLa said:

 

Every time I see this post title, I read 'Grandfather sentenced to Death for Grandaughter'

I do too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2021 at 11:42 AM, mjkacmom said:

I guarantee the lawyer contacted her, I’d imagine she’d be in a catatonic state for a while. I can’t imagine having any bad feelings towards this poor woman.

Even if the lawyer contacted her first she could have said no to the lawsuit. She knows how things work. They are after the $$$$$.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LilBlackDress said:

I didn't know there were posted signs. Do you know what they say? 

I don't remember seeing any signs, but then again, I wouldn't hang on the railing, hold a baby out the window, bang on glass etc etc etc 

Who needs a posted sign to tell a person NOT  to dangle a child  out a window!  Is that what we have become? 

 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Who needs a posted sign to tell a person NOT  to dangle a child  out a window!  Is that what we have become? 

 

M

Very sad indeed but that seems to be the way of the world now.  What use to be considered common sense must be spelled/written out.  It’s CYA.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Crystal Cruises - New! Luxury Bahamas Escapes
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...