Around the world in Photos

Gettingwarmer

I lost most of my photographs when my laptop gave up, I have now started to back them up so that It doesn't happen again so I will have to scan some of the printed ones.

My outstanding memories of Southampton are driving into the docks for our first cruise and seeing Canberra waiting for us, she looked huge even though by today's standards she was tiny.  The other one was sailing out on Queen Mary II, the nicest ship we have been on, it was December and snowing and the band on the wayside were playing Christmas carols.

The maiden cruise on Britannia was also a memorable sail away.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

😞  EeeK!   did you try to get them off the hard drive?  

Yes but unfortunately it was a hard disk problem.  I had most of the important things backed up on a external drive but I had never considered photos that important because I print my favourite ones and keep them in albums.

19 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

We had the band for our first cruise (Sept 2010)

Never again

I guess P&O phased them out soon after

We had a band on our first cruise too, December 2010. The following year on our eastern med cruise on Oceana was the most memorable though. We arrived at the dock to see her dressed over all, flags were flying all across her top deck, she looked magnificent and the band was playing as we left. I think that was the begining of my love affair with Oceana. Talking to lady who had been sailing with P&O since 1960's she told us that it used to the normal send off at every cruise, including streamers. How times change, and sometimes not for the better. I'm glad we got to see it once.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

We had a band on our first cruise too, December 2010. The following year on our eastern med cruise on Oceana was the most memorable though. We arrived at the dock to see her dressed over all, flags were flying all across her top deck, she looked magnificent and the band was playing as we left. I think that was the begining of my love affair with Oceana. Talking to lady who had been sailing with P&O since 1960's she told us that it used to the normal send off at every cruise, including streamers. How times change, and sometimes not for the better. I'm glad we got to see it once.

Avril

We had streamers for our first couple of cruises in the early 2000’s.  

i do miss the bands though, as it gave a real sense of occasion to the sail away. The last time I recall having a band was for the Britannia maiden sail away in 2015, and even then it was because of the special event.

• Like 3

We’ve managed Guernsey 4 times in 4 attempts, though we didn’t bother to get off the last time, as the conditions weren’t great

Tw of our three land calls were Sundays, so Guernsey was, to all intents & purposes, closed.  The other time was Liberation Day.  A huge day on the island and, knowing the history, it’s easy to understand why.

Our worst ever tender experience was St Peter Port.  Choppy seas, nippy wind.  The tender took for ever to get into the pontoon and I reckon it had. 6 foot amplitude.  3 foot drop below the boarding stage then Whoops! 3 foot above it.  I feared for the safety of a toddler handed over to shipboard crew at about the 4th attempt!  Such movements!  We were fortunate and had a little lull by the time it was our turn to leave, cold and slightly green

One of our best ship-organised excursions was on a Princess visit to Herm.  A walking tour, naturally, there being no motorised vehicles other than farm vehicles.  Really relaxed.  A lovely place - I quite fancy a chill-out 4 or 5 day break there

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I’ve only been to Guernsey on a ‘land trip’ - we’ve tried 3 times on a cruise and each time didn’t get in!

It is a hit and miss port so many people have never got in but we must be very lucky because we have managed to go in 4 times.  I love Guernsey and keep suggesting that we should go there for a week break.  

• Like 2