Delay to start of Trans-Tasman bubble

14 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I don't think we'll see a bubble until much later in the year especially if the virus keeps sneaking out of quarantine.

I fear it is more like walking out the front door.....

Bubbles are very fleeting... could burst at any time...

Particularly here.... kind of like herding cats.....

It is getting more like groundhog day...... 

Latest News  another outbreak has started from quarantine..

Government to look into quarantine procedure...

• Like 2

Agreed. Initially hotels were a suitable solution, they had the facilities, and it gave the hotels some income, but with newer variant spreading more easily hotels are no longer suitable as the weakness appears to be airflow in the corridors.

What is needed is quarantine villages of small cabins/cottage. Mostly one bedroom but some two bedroom for families, bathroom with laundry facilities, loungeroom with kitchenette, small covered balcony, individual air-con units. Each cottage should be separate from any other so even if someone coughed on the balcony there would be no risk of aerosol transmission. They don't have to be luxury, just basic but comfortable with surfaces that are easy to sanitize between guests. The govts could haul in all their developer mates to build them quickly and at cost, ie free labour, after all I'm sure those developers owe their govt mates a few favours. And the govts could lean on some of their rural mates for a few hectares to build on, donated of course. 

Yeah, I know, it would never happen, but dreams are free.🤣

Lets face it folks, if Repatriation Flights had not been implemented and if the Big Tennis Carnival mob had not arrived in Melbourne, then I reckon there would be doughnuts every day, nil new cases - nil quarantines - nil covid leaking out.

We can still stem the tide, put a hold on repat flights, stop the tennis carnival and send them home.

Now if Vic goes into hard lockdown, by rights the tennis should be stopped forthwith, but it won't.

Edited by NSWP

12 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Agreed. Initially hotels were a suitable solution, they had the facilities, and it gave the hotels some income, but with newer variant spreading more easily hotels are no longer suitable as the weakness appears to be airflow in the corridors.

What is needed is quarantine villages of small cabins/cottage. Mostly one bedroom but some two bedroom for families, bathroom with laundry facilities, loungeroom with kitchenette, small covered balcony, individual air-con units. Each cottage should be separate from any other so even if someone coughed on the balcony there would be no risk of aerosol transmission. They don't have to be luxury, just basic but comfortable with surfaces that are easy to sanitize between guests. The govts could haul in all their developer mates to build them quickly and at cost, ie free labour, after all I'm sure those developers owe their govt mates a few favours. And the govts could lean on some of their rural mates for a few hectares to build on, donated of course. 

The man who build a private airport at Toowoomba, in record time, has offered to build quarantine accommodation near the airport.  There would be no public contact between airport and accommodation nearby.  Toowoomba has hospital facilities.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

The man who build a private airport at Toowoomba, in record time, has offered to build quarantine accommodation near the airport.  There would be no public contact between airport and accommodation nearby.  Toowoomba has hospital facilities.  

That is what we need, isolated quarantine venues, not a hotel in the middle of a big city, like Holiday Inn/Grand Hyatt etc.

18 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Maybe the Government could use the self contained accommodation in caravan parks during the off season.  Plenty of fresh air there for occupants.  I seem to recall NZused mobile homes. 

33 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes, I read about that. He's got the right idea, he just needs the QLD govt to listen to him. That's an ideal situation. And any really bad cases could be easily airlifted to a bigger hospital in Brisbane if necessary. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Maybe the Government could use the self contained accommodation in caravan parks during the off season.  Plenty of fresh air there for occupants.  I seem to recall NZused mobile homes. 

What off season? It sounds like caravan parks are booked out with people travelling locally.

Nz used campervans which might be an option in some cases but not good for families. They are very cramped. Essentially what is needed is the double-wide "mobile" home concept found in the US. They are actually very nice. We know a couple of people in the US who each prefer to have one of those in a Seniors Park rather than live in an apartment. One is in Florida and her place looked gorgeous from the photos. The other is in California.

48 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Utilise one of the army barracks around Australia for quarantine. Send the troops somewhere else.

Darwin springs to mind, out of town.

Les, are defence force barracks suitable for families as well as couples? Wouldn't the accommodation be set up for singles? I really have no idea, the only ones I have been to are Puckapunyal and HMAS Cerberus. Julie's idea above has merit but then I have heard experts say that there has to be good medical facilities close by as those who are ill can deteriorate rapidly. I think the main concern is the staff of the quarantine places need to be like FIFO employees - live on site (and not have access to the local community). They would have to quarantine for two weeks after their term of employment concludes.

Leigh

17 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Les, are defence force barracks suitable for families as well as couples? Wouldn't the accommodation be set up for singles? I really have no idea, the only ones I have been to are Puckapunyal and HMAS Cerberus. Julie's idea above has merit but then I have heard experts say that there has to be good medical facilities close by as those who are ill can deteriorate rapidly. I think the main concern is the staff of the quarantine places need to be like FIFO employees - live on site (and not have access to the local community). They would have to quarantine for two weeks after their term of employment concludes.

Leigh

That's why the facility needs to be near a major regional centre with a good hospital and airport. Like the Toowoomba concept.

Yes, FIFO and quarantine after they finish their term would be essential

• Like 1

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

Maybe, there would be married quarters available as well as single quarters.

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

Utilise one of the army barracks around Australia for quarantine. Send the troops somewhere else.

Darwin springs to mind, out of town.

Howard Springs just outside Darwin has, and is, being used as a quarantine facility for returning Australians.

If the Federal government hadn't been so keen on avoiding its responsibility for international travelers and for quarantine, they could have built and staffed half a dozen more such facilities by now for far less than the cost of all the border closures and lock downs caused by virus breakouts from inadequate hotel quarantine.

Instead we have the Feds sitting on their collective thumbs and sniping from the sidelines.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Howard Springs just outside Darwin has, and is, being used as a quarantine facility for returning Australians.

If the Federal government hadn't been so keen on avoiding its responsibility for international travelers and for quarantine, they could have built and staffed half a dozen more such facilities by now for far less than the cost of all the border closures and lock downs caused by virus breakouts from inadequate hotel quarantine.

Instead we have the Feds sitting on their collective thumbs and sniping from the sidelines.

Howard Springs is perfect.

22 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I think the trouble with the bubble is agreeing to shared protocols on a common border.  We can't be slamming the gates down everytime there's an outbreak on one side of the Tasman or people will not have the confidence to travel either way.  

15 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I think both of you have summed it up.......

With all this tit for tat going on.... we are on the preverbal merry go round....

The only thing as long as they all don't think the vaccination program is the magical pixie horse... and it will all disappear.... 

Don.... not surprisingly stuck at home again