Delay to start of Trans-Tasman bubble

55 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

In NZ you only have one government to convince and possibly more pressure from some of the ports.

In Australia first you have to get past the federal government who think cruising is a luxury, only for the wealthy, and ordinary Australians shoudn't be spending their money on such things, especially retirees. 🙄 I doubt any of them have ever been near a cruise ship.

Then you have to get past the relevant state governments:

- If you want to cruise from Sydney forget it. The NSW government isn't going to let cruise ships back in a hurry after their Ruby Princess stuff-up.

- Brisbane (Queensland) might be a starter. They've got a brand new cruise terminal sitting there unused.

- Melbourne (Victoria) probably won't want to risk it. They've had too many serious lockdowns already.

- Tasmania has already knocked back some expedition ships from operating out of Hobart but it might depend on how many tourism dollars they used to make from port visits. They could be more like some of the NZ ports.

- The other states/territories weren't big cruise ports in the past. Fremantle only did a limited number of cruises regularly. South Australia even less. Darwin (Northern Territory) has already made its stance clear regarding ships with over 100 combined passengers and crew.

Not looking good for Sydney then Julie. In fact a gloomy cruising outlook all round.

Edited by NSWP

Just now, NSWP said:

Not looking good for Sydney then Julie.

Unfortunately not. Of course it may depend on how much tourist revenue Sydney made out of cruising but I imagine a large percentage of that would have been from overseas tourists staying a few days before/after a cruise. And we don't want overseas tourists back too soon. Too risky.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Unfortunately not. Of course it may depend on how much tourist revenue Sydney made out of cruising but I imagine a large percentage of that would have been from overseas tourists staying a few days before/after a cruise. And we don't want overseas tourists back too soon. Too risky.

I think the Coral Princess WC people could be shattered if your vision is realised. 
Who knows then if Coral will arrive here in October for her  regional season, pre Worldie.

Edited by NSWP

47 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I think the Coral Princess WC people could be shattered if your vision is realised. 
Who knows then if Coral will arrive here in October for her  regional season, pre Worldie.

I can't see the 2022 WC happening anyway. There will probably still be too many countries that are still affected by the pandemic. But she could do Top End cruises instead. They were very popular a few years ago when Dawn was trundling to and fro between Sydney and Fremantle - or maybe it would have to be Brisbane and Fremantle.