Royal Caribbean Hawaii Cruises

Three Hawaii cruises posted so far. What happened to the Hawaii cruises where the ships actually stopped in Hawaii ports? Seem to be doing a lot of drivebys now or West coast cruising. 

8 minutes ago, PCWalton1 said:

Three Hawaii cruises posted so far. What happened to the Hawaii cruises where the ships actually stopped in Hawaii ports? Seem to be doing a lot of drivebys now or West coast cruising. 

You got my hopes up for the Ovation, Apr/2022 HNL-YVR. But nope, still not there.

44 minutes ago, PCWalton1 said:

Would love to do Hawaii or South Pacific RT from the west coast.

1 hour ago, PCWalton1 said:

I agree. We loved the Radiance itinerary that stopped at 4 Hawaii ports with overnights in some. Are Ovation and Quantum too large to visit more of the Hawaii ports?

2 hours ago, lr657 said:

I agree. We loved the Radiance itinerary that stopped at 4 Hawaii ports with overnights in some. Are Ovation and Quantum too large to visit more of the Hawaii ports?

Possibly too big for Hilo and Nawiliwili 

I remember back in 2001 and the Radiance going into Nawiliwilli.... it was just barely big enough for the Radiance.  Are the Quantum class ships longer.  I know they are bigger, but are they longer, which was the key for that harbor.

2 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

I remember back in 2001 and the Radiance going into Nawiliwilli.... it was just barely big enough for the Radiance.  Are the Quantum class ships longer.  I know they are bigger, but are they longer, which was the key for that harbor.

Q class is almost 200 feet longer.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Some of Royal's transatlantic voyages seem to suffer from "getthereitis".  Few ports of call, get across as quickly as possible so the real revenue producing cruises can start sooner from the new home port.

It seems that Royal's Hawaii strategy is following this trend.  Fewer ports of call, get the ship to the new home port so it can begin higher revenue producing cruises sooner.

6 hours ago, twangster said:

Some of Royal's transatlantic voyages seem to suffer from "getthereitis".  Few ports of call, get across as quickly as possible so the real revenue producing cruises can start sooner from the new home port.

It seems that Royal's Hawaii strategy is following this trend.  Fewer ports of call, get the ship to the new home port so it can begin higher revenue producing cruises sooner.

Getting a ship that holds almost 2000 more passengers to Australia/Alaska as soon as possible outweighs taking the time to stop in a couple of Hawaiian ports for just two cruises a year. 

6 hours ago, twangster said:

Hey Twangster,

Too bad. Long repositioning cruises have always been a huge favorite of ours, I hear it’s normal for most elites & super-elites. And it’s pretty common to see pax do the cruise before, and/or the one after, whenever the itineraries line up. If they tighten the schedules, that won’t be fun.

I think, at least in the near term, there’s no B?B’s period. Long cruises, I guess it’ll take a while after restart to figure that out. We’re still quite a ways out for things settling back down for all that stuff.

We did a couple of the Hawaii to North America west coast re-positionings, one was definitely on Solstice when the volcano was actively erupting. We got magnificent views of the lava meeting the ocean. Bucket list item for sure.

Captain Tasos? did the “How Our Ships Sail” enrichment talk the next day. His great line from the presentation was “If you’ve never done donuts in the Pacific Ocean with a 1000’ ship that has over 100k horsepower, well then you’re not a master of a Celebrity Solstice class vessel”. What a character! He took a great photo with us at the Captains’ Club party that always reminds me of some of our favorite cruising moments.

We really miss the crews. Maybe they need to call is “Crewsing” from now on, that’s easily one of the best parts of the experience. Hope things are going as well as they can for those folks.

Doc Ruth

7 minutes ago, docruth said:

Captain Tasos? did the “How Our Ships Sail” enrichment talk the next day. His great line from the presentation was “If you’ve never done donuts in the Pacific Ocean with a 1000’ ship that has over 100k horsepower, well then you’re not a master of a Celebrity Solstice class vessel”. What a character! He took a great photo with us at the Captains’ Club party that always reminds me of some of our favorite cruising moments.

We were on the Solstice in 2016 for a NZ to Sydney cruise. For Milford Sound the Captain did a couple of 360s to give everyone, no matter where you were on deck, full views of the waterfalls. It was so beautiful and pretty cool to have a ship that size do full standing circles!

IMG_20161217_121316-PANO.jpg