Will you cruise if vaccination is mandatory in order to board?

Thrak

34 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

If they are taking precautions -- masking, social distancing -- and choose to wait a few additional months (given that there is not enough vaccine for everyone right now anyway), is it going to make a huge difference in the scheme of things?

I am not eligible for a vaccine now nor any time in the near future. (I am not 65+ nor do I have any risk factors).  Is my 'not getting vaccinated now' leading to more deaths?  

In the UK at present,   everyone over 60 can be vaccinated, so no need to wait and see. 

By the end of March everyone over 50 will have the opportunity to be vaccinated. 

There is no need to pontificate - if you are offered the vaccination,  take it,  for your own good, and for the good of your fellow citizens.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

You see things a bit more black and white than I. I'm willing to concede some amount of "wait and see" attitude, especially given some of the vaccines are of a new type. Perpetuating a series of endless retorts doesn't really help, IMO. 

However, I will respond when I feel there is a major mis-statement or misunderstanding of the actual facts. 

I have given up on responding -- those "major mis-statements" are generally not the product of simple, correctible, misunderstanding.   I also feel that "wait and see", is too often merely a socially acceptable posturing of anti-vaxxing -- which does postpone achieving the goal of herd immunity.

"Where is the cutoff that the virus was the cause of death from someone who is 90, in a nursing home, and has had failing kidneys?" 

That is exactly what my 96 year old father died of last month. He had just had his second Pfiser shot so would they count that as a reaction? I would hope not.

22 hours ago, wowzz said:

In the UK at present,   everyone over 60 can be vaccinated, so no need to wait and see. 

By the end of March everyone over 50 will have the opportunity to be vaccinated.

Thanks for this insight!  An amazingly straight forward system as compared to what's going on in the US with all kinds of "set asides" for various interest groups and ensuring "equity" of distribution to underserved communities.  It's no surprise that the UK is going faster than the US.

Congratulations to the UK in taking a pragmatic approach based on patient risk!

image.png.ef8cb9b98636eef335e30be5dfe4ec8c.png

8 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

ng on in the US with all kinds of "set asides" for various interest groups and ensuring "equity" of distribution to underserved communities.  It's no surprise that the UK is going faster than the US.

Each state designs the program.  Here if you are over 65 or have a specific condition you can get the vaccine.   Yes, one of our local politicians tried that other system but was immediately corrected.   I, myself, have reported 2 or 3 hubs, for not following our state protocols.  I know that is a bit aggressive but how else would the state be informed.

21 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

Thanks for this insight!  An amazingly straight forward system as compared to what's going on in the US with all kinds of "set asides" for various interest groups and ensuring "equity" of distribution to underserved communities.  It's no surprise that the UK is going faster than the US.

Congratulations to the UK in taking a pragmatic approach based on patient risk!

image.png.ef8cb9b98636eef335e30be5dfe4ec8c.png

The results of the vaccination campaign are pretty spectacular 

BBC News - Covid vaccines - 'spectacular' impact on serious illness
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56153617

On CNN this morning Dr. Fauci stated common sense says if you're vaccinated you will not need to follow as stringent public health measures as unvaccinated people.  He gave an example if you're vaccinated and your daughter who is also vaccinated came to visit, "in fact" you wouldn't need to be as stringent in your public health measures.  It will be interesting to see if CDC applies that concept to cruise ships where everyone onboard has been fully vaccinated.  He expects further guidance to come from the CDC very soon.

You can see his remarks from this morning at the following link.  His statements appear starting at 1:05 in the video imbedded in the article.

(2) Coronavirus update: Latest Covid-19 vaccine and world news (cnn.com)

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

On CNN this morning Dr. Fauci stated common sense says if you're vaccinated you will not need to follow as stringent public health measures as unvaccinated people.  He gave an example if you're vaccinated and your daughter who is also vaccinated came to visit, "in fact" you wouldn't need to be as stringent in your public health measures.  It will be interesting to see if CDC applies that concept to cruise ships where everyone onboard has been fully vaccinated.  He expects further guidance to come from the CDC very soon.

You can see his remarks from this morning at the following link.  His statements appear starting at 1:05 in the video imbedded in the article.

(2) Coronavirus update: Latest Covid-19 vaccine and world news (cnn.com)

Here is something similar that says though not proven yet, it seems that the vaccinations will also stop transmission.

Covid Vaccines Work. They Likely Also Reduce Transmission (msn.com)

If you follow through on the logic of this, a cruise with everyone vaccinated should pretty much return to very close to what we all considered normal in cruising. There would be no need for masking or social distancing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Those in my family that are eligible to be vaccinated will be vaccinated. I cannot fathom the belief that a cruise line would deny passengers who are ineligible to receive a vaccine. I am talking about families. Anyone under the age of 18 (16 with one of the vaccines) cannot be vaccinated. Denying a family from going because of this is ridiculous. If schools are open, airlines flying anyone, open borders to let anyone in with any number of unknown diseases, then kids can cruise who cannot be vaccinated. It is as simple as that.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Those in my family that are eligible to be vaccinated will be vaccinated. I cannot fathom the belief that a cruise line would deny passengers who are ineligible to receive a vaccine. I am talking about families. Anyone under the age of 18 (16 with one of the vaccines) cannot be vaccinated. Denying a family from going because of this is ridiculous. If schools are open, airlines flying anyone, open borders to let anyone in with any number of unknown diseases, then kids can cruise who cannot be vaccinated. It is as simple as that.

Reality check....   If the COUNTRIES the ship visits require vaccination, if the AIRLINES you take to get there require vaccination, and (most importantly) If the bean counters at the cruise lines feel that the risks of NOT requiring 100% vaccination outweigh the added income of families... Then it's a mute point.   No vaccination, no cruise.  

• Like 2

Air New Zealand is already trialling out a vaccine passport. I think if you are trialling a vaccine passport it can only be assumed that they are seriously considering mandating vaccines or at least preparing for the possibility🤔.

Air New Zealand to trial Covid vaccine passport on Sydney flights

Edited by ilikeanswers

37 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

It does sound "ridiculous" but if allowing children/teens would increase the risk then it is good policy.  And as other say, a vital issue to the cruise lines is getting the necessary approval to dock/tender at each port.   Much of what will happen, going forward, with cruises will depend on the policies of the ports.   Speaking of schools, there are an awful lot of school systems that still do not have classroom instruction.  

Hank

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Very few things are “...as simple as that.”   Cruises have to go somewhere, if ports require all visitors to be vaccinated, ships carrying non-vaccinated passengers will not be accepted. 

Of course, the science is not locked in place - vaccines for children might be developed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Very few things are “...as simple as that.”   Cruises have to go somewhere, if ports require all visitors to be vaccinated, ships carrying non-vaccinated passengers will not be accepted. 

Of course, the science is not locked in place - vaccines for children might be developed.

I believe there are clinic trials ongoing for children, though I am not sure starting at what age.

15 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I believe there are clinic trials ongoing for children, though I am not sure starting at what age.

Trials are already ongoing for children down to age 12. The plan is to slowly work their way down the age bracket. Fauci was quoted a week ago saying it's possible that all school-age children will be eligible for a vaccination by the time the fall school season starts -- and honestly, I do not see cruising starting up much earlier than that, at least not on any large scale.

32 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Trials are already ongoing for children down to age 12. The plan is to slowly work their way down the age bracket. Fauci was quoted a week ago saying it's possible that all school-age children will be eligible for a vaccination by the time the fall school season starts -- and honestly, I do not see cruising starting up much earlier than that, at least not on any large scale.

DW's small elementary school has been half virtual and half attended with the students alternating weeks. But this week the kindergartners are starting to attend 100%. I believe she said they intend to slowly start doing the same with the other grades.

8 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

DW's small elementary school has been half virtual and half attended with the students alternating weeks. But this week the kindergartners are starting to attend 100%. I believe she said they intend to slowly start doing the same with the other grades.

Just out of curiosity and slightly off topic (and as the grandmother of a kindergartner who is fully remote), are all kindergartners required to return to school or is remote learning still an option for students whose parents don't feel it is safe to return to the classroom?   Thanks.

16 hours ago, evandbob said:

For us, our future cruising will only be on ships where mandatory vax for everyone on board is verified, the lifeboats are functioning, and there are enough life preservers for us in the stateroom.

ummm ... okay    

Perplexed baby | Meme Generator

On 2/21/2021 at 8:30 AM, navybankerteacher said:

Yes, there are a lot of folks out there who seek to minimize the overall threat represented by COVID, while maximizing the harmful side effects of getting the shot.

We've gotten our two (Pfizer) shots and almost every one wants to know how we felt afterwards. Like they were surprised that we had zero side effects.

• Like 1

You people do realize that almost all Caribbean destinations are 100% open to US travelers NOW?!?!?! Grand Cayman may be the sole exclusion. Trust me, I have looked at AI resorts at many of them and working with a travel agent. Anyone of any age can travel to Mexico, Roatan, Belize, Jamaica, Bahamas, St Thomas, St Maarten, Aruba, Curacao, Dominican Republic, and I am probably leaving a few out. Requiring a vaccine in 6 months makes absolutely no sense for those that a vaccine does not exist for. I can understand the knee-jerk responses, but a little more research proves the statements have no logic.

If there were going to be "in country" restrictions requiring vaccination, that would be happening now and not when cruising starts late this year.  

• Like 2