Will you cruise if vaccination is mandatory in order to board?

Thrak

4 hours ago, FredT said:

Reality check....   If the COUNTRIES the ship visits require vaccination, if the AIRLINES you take to get there require vaccination, and (most importantly) If the bean counters at the cruise lines feel that the risks of NOT requiring 100% vaccination outweigh the added income of families... Then it's a mute point.   No vaccination, no cruise.  

Then tons of business will be lost by the cruise lines.  There are many and I mean many including my family who will not ever get the shot.

53 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

You people do realize that almost all Caribbean destinations are 100% open to US travelers NOW?!?!?! Grand Cayman may be the sole exclusion. Trust me, I have looked at AI resorts at many of them and working with a travel agent. Anyone of any age can travel to Mexico, Roatan, Belize, Jamaica, Bahamas, St Thomas, St Maarten, Aruba, Curacao, Dominican Republic, and I am probably leaving a few out. Requiring a vaccine in 6 months makes absolutely no sense for those that a vaccine does not exist for. I can understand the knee-jerk responses, but a little more research proves the statements have no logic.

If there were going to be "in country" restrictions requiring vaccination, that would be happening now and not when cruising starts late this year.  

Makes total sense and I agree.  

• Like 1

Just now, Sky616 said:

Then tons of business will be lost by the cruise lines.  There are many and I mean many including my family who will not ever get the shot.

Not arguing with you there... (Your choice) BUT, all it would take is 1-2 more bad outbreaks on a cruise ship to TOTALLY kill the industry.   In MY opinion, the cruise lines would be delighted with a 30-40% drop in bookings while not having issues with forign governments/bad publicity/ and issues like Princess had in April. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LynnTTT said:

Then you won't cruise.

Then they will lose tons of revenue.  The cruise lines aren't dumb.  Even if they make it mandatory at first it won't last long.  As in a previous post the poster said all the islands are open now for all inclusives and hotels and not one is mandating a vaccine.  Not all of us are guinea pigs as you probably want to believe.

50 minutes ago, Sky616 said:

There are also many people who won't get on a cruise ship unless all are vaccinated.  We'll just have to see.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, capriccio said:

Just out of curiosity and slightly off topic (and as the grandmother of a kindergartner who is fully remote), are all kindergartners required to return to school or is remote learning still an option for students whose parents don't feel it is safe to return to the classroom?   Thanks.

I'm going to answer that to the best of my ability. DW did say all the kindergartners will be coming back. However, at the start of the school year when all the students were alternating weeks between virtual and in class, I asked her if parents were allowed to totally opt their children out of in class. Her answer was yes, so I am assuming that that option still remains. I would not think that a child whose parents have had him or her virtual taught all along would be forced now to send the child to school.

BTW, she is the art teacher, so she has all the students.

33 minutes ago, Sky616 said:

Then they will lose tons of revenue.  The cruise lines aren't dumb.  Even if they make it mandatory at first it won't last long.  As in a previous post the poster said all the islands are open now for all inclusives and hotels and not one is mandating a vaccine.  Not all of us are guinea pigs as you probably want to believe.

I suspect your estimate of booking losses is pure hyperbole.

The argument that many islands are open to tourists without any vaccination requirements actually argues against allowing US origin cruises to call. Otherwise US visitors might well face quarantine upon returning.

If some authority tells you not to jump off a bridge is your immediate reaction to find a bridge?

Edited by broberts
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I'm going to answer that to the best of my ability. DW did say all the kindergartners will be coming back. However, at the start of the school year when all the students were alternating weeks between virtual and in class, I asked her if parents were allowed to totally opt their children out of in class. Her answer was yes, so I am assuming that that option still remains. I would not think that a child whose parents have had him or her virtual taught all along would be forced now to send the child to school.

BTW, she is the art teacher, so she has all the students.

Thanks!  Granddaughter is learning remotely because Mom, a teacher, is high risk.  Hope all goes well and everyone stays safe!

23 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Thanks!  Granddaughter is learning remotely because Mom, a teacher, is high risk.  Hope all goes well and everyone stays safe!

Yes, we all hope everyone stays safe.

She actually has the kindergartners this quarter. Normally she has everyone, but to keep her contact as little as possible each quarter she has only certain grades. At the moment she has the youngest grades.

1 hour ago, Sky616 said:

It won't make sense to mandate vaccines until the vaccines are actually available to everyone...

37 minutes ago, jwattle said:

It won't make sense to mandate vaccines until the vaccines are actually available to everyone...

The cruise lines are not in this to be "Fair".    They are in this to make money...... PERIOD.   And if there is less risk to them to MANDATE everyone has a vaccine, AND (And this is the big "and") they feel that they will not loose too many passengers like yourself who wont vaccinate, then it's a done deal.  The fact that Crystal, (and I "believe" Viking) have already gone down this route.  (Of course Viking has a "no children" policy anyway, and few if any kids sail on Crystal so take that for what it's worth) 

46 minutes ago, FredT said:

The cruise lines are not in this to be "Fair".    They are in this to make money...... PERIOD.   And if there is less risk to them to MANDATE everyone has a vaccine, AND (And this is the big "and") they feel that they will not loose too many passengers like yourself who wont vaccinate, then it's a done deal.  The fact that Crystal, (and I "believe" Viking) have already gone down this route.  (Of course Viking has a "no children" policy anyway, and few if any kids sail on Crystal so take that for what it's worth) 

Oh you completely misunderstood, I am vaccinated, and am completely in favor of having people vaccinated prior to cruising. I was just trying to explain to the other posters why the Caribbean seems "wide-open" to US tourism and aren't requiring vaccinations right now. 😄

2 hours ago, jwattle said:

I was just trying to explain to the other posters why the Caribbean seems "wide-open" to US tourism and aren't requiring vaccinations right now. 😄

And THATS what is going to be interesting to watch.    I honestly think that if everything were equal, ALL the cruise lines would do as I have outlined (in a heartbeat)   Absolutely no one on board without the jab.   BUT, the Caribbean presents an interesting exception....   Almost all the islands seem to already be open to US citizens with few if any exceptions....    So will the cruise lines bend and make an "exception" of their own and still mandate vaccines on their European/Mediterranean/ Mid East/Canadian/Far East cruises? (Where they most litely HAVE to?)   or take the safe way out and say NOPE.... (and loose a LOT of those hard drinking, big spending families on their 1 week turnarounds?) 

Gonna be interesting to watch.

Edited by FredT
  • Like 1

The risk to cruise lines of allowing the virus onto a ship again is too big. Another Princess episode would kill the industry in the US. Let the Caribbean countries do what they want but a cruise line taking that risk deserves to go out of business!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

You people do realize that almost all Caribbean destinations are 100% open to US travelers NOW?!?!?! Grand Cayman may be the sole exclusion. Trust me, I have looked at AI resorts at many of them and working with a travel agent. Anyone of any age can travel to Mexico, Roatan, Belize, Jamaica, Bahamas, St Thomas, St Maarten, Aruba, Curacao, Dominican Republic, 

They are not as open as you are insinuating. They all require negative PCR or Antigen tests ranging from 72 hours to 10 days prior to arrival. Some countries like Belize require you to stay at pre approved hotels and stay in pre approved tourist area that restrict movement around the county and along with Bahamas and USVI they require you to fill out an electronic health certificate. In St Maarten you also have an added requirement to purchase Covid insurance. Dominican Republic is probably the most lenient with an aleatory breath test on arrival though if you test positive there goes your holiday and your stuck quarantining in DR. I would not be surprised if some of those countries would like to avoid all that bureaucracy and settle for just vaccinated tourists. 

6 hours ago, Sky616 said:

Not that much. Even on a good day anti vaxers make only 10% of the USA population, so in the cruising population that would be even smaller. I can't see cruise lines being too worried over such a tiny amount unless you can prove vaccine hesitant on board spending is 10 times that of vaccinated people then cruise lines might care😂

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Not that much. Even on a good day anti vaxers make only 10% of the USA population, so in the cruising population that would be even smaller. I can't see cruise lines being too worried over such a tiny amount unless you can prove vaccine hesitant on board spending is 10 times that of vaccinated people then cruise lines might care😂

Then, of course, if the anti-vaxxers do not cruise, dinner conversations might be just a shade better.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

They are not as open as you are insinuating. They all require negative PCR or Antigen tests ranging from 72 hours to 10 days prior to arrival. Some countries like Belize require you to stay at pre approved hotels and stay in pre approved tourist area that restrict movement around the county and along with Bahamas and USVI they require you to fill out an electronic health certificate. In St Maarten you also have an added requirement to purchase Covid insurance. Dominican Republic is probably the most lenient with an aleatory breath test on arrival though if you test positive there goes your holiday and your stuck quarantining in DR. I would not be surprised if some of those countries would like to avoid all that bureaucracy and settle for just vaccinated tourists. 

In January, 2022 I hope to be able to do a cruise from LA to Sydney going through Hawaii and smaller islands. I found the research about what is happening about vaccinating smaller island nations very interesting.

Australia has been co-ordinating to try to ensure that Pacific Islands near us will get vaccinations and America is also ensuring that island territories like American Samoa and Guam etc that they control will also be vaccinated hopefully by the end of the year. 

France is sending out some vaccines to their island territories but supply is intermittent but one island already has 10% vaccination. 

In the article it mentioned that vaccine uptake is likely to be very high in these Pacific islands as they had a severe measles outbreak in 2019 because less people ensured their children had their measles vaccinations so many sickened and died. This has made them more aware of the value of vaccines to the community.protect the people.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/how-australia-will-help-its-neighbours-to-vaccinate-people-against-coronavirus

So I suspect that the Caribbean islands would also prefer to protect their local community by use of vaccines once they are more readily available, plus testing and quarantining.

8 hours ago, Sky616 said:

I'm really surprised at your vehemence. What has caused that? And what if members of your family disagree with you?

38 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

In January, 2022 I hope to be able to do a cruise from LA to Sydney going through Hawaii and smaller islands. I found the research about what is happening about vaccinating smaller island nations very interesting.

Australia has been co-ordinating to try to ensure that Pacific Islands near us will get vaccinations and America is also ensuring that island territories like American Samoa and Guam etc that they control will also be vaccinated hopefully by the end of the year. 

France is sending out some vaccines to their island territories but supply is intermittent but one island already has 10% vaccination. 

In the article it mentioned that vaccine uptake is likely to be very high in these Pacific islands as they had a severe measles outbreak in 2019 because less people ensured their children had their measles vaccinations so many sickened and died. This has made them more aware of the value of vaccines to the community.protect the people.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/how-australia-will-help-its-neighbours-to-vaccinate-people-against-coronavirus

So I suspect that the Caribbean islands would also prefer to protect their local community by use of vaccines once they are more readily available, plus testing and quarantining.

It is good to hear Samoa is changing their tune in relation to vaccines. I think Covid-19 has made a lot of people not take vaccination for granted (except for the die hard anti vaxers of course 😜

On 2/22/2021 at 3:53 PM, ilikeanswers said:

If you want to see all things COVID, this site provides the most comprehensive data that I have seen - including vaccine delivery.  

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

Here is an example covering averaged daily vaccination data for selected countries. 

image.png.c720cb9627e321de69f3fb3b334aee12.png

Edited by SelectSys

10 hours ago, broberts said:

I suspect your estimate of booking losses is pure hyperbole.

The argument that many islands are open to tourists without any vaccination requirements actually argues against allowing US origin cruises to call. Otherwise US visitors might well face quarantine upon returning.

If some authority tells you not to jump off a bridge is your immediate reaction to find a bridge?

I agree with this. I know there are many many people who are either anti-vax or will not get the vaccine for other reasons (some of whom are not able to for medical issues). At least in the short term they will probably not be able to cruise, and there are a lot of people who will take the vaccine and many who will refuse to travel without a vaccine mandate. 

It is sort of like saying  "I will never use this hotel/airline/cruise line again." The reality is there are so many people who sail Carnival or Royal Caribbean a loss of 10-30% of the population is not going to deter them from this. Additionally if most ports are requiring this than it really will put an end to any debate. I can't see a cruise line that goes vaccine optional and only sails to ports that are vaccine optional having enough business to succeed at least in the short term. 

Now looking farther out I don't think this will be a requirement forever, but at least in the next couple years it is probably the direction things are going. 

Cruise lines are desperate to make cruising work. Having tons of cruises have to be cancelled once they are able to restart would be devastating & I think the public health measures such as masks and vaccines are likely to be with us for a (long) while. 

• Like 1