How to Get The Best Fare on Celebrity?

Is there a pattern to the day of the week, or the hour of the day, that prices on Celebrity seem to be at their best?  I've been watching our preferred category on the Edge go up and down in price pretty dramatically, even within the same day.   This morning I got a price that, unfortunately, I did not lock in, then this afternoon it was almost $500 more.  Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks. 

Generally they don't move too frequently but most times when I find a short time with a good rate it's on the weekend, usually Sunday.   I have always wondered if it is intentional when some TA's are not available.  After missing out a couple of times I now always place a 24hr hold on anything that I'm contemplating, even for a price drop.

1 hour ago, johnasmith99 said:

Is there a pattern to the day of the week, or the hour of the day, that prices on Celebrity seem to be at their best?  I've been watching our preferred category on the Edge go up and down in price pretty dramatically, even within the same day.   This morning I got a price that, unfortunately, I did not lock in, then this afternoon it was almost $500 more.  Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks. 

A lot of us would like to know this answer.   I suspect that there are always price reductions as you get closer to the sailing date and at less desirable times of the year.   In most cases I've found the best prices occur as soon as cruises are released.  If you don't book at that time, you'll need to look for a TA still has group bookings at the original price.

Group bookings through a travel agent are where you will see big savings. I don't monitor prices anywhere near as much as some, but I typically do not see much drastic movement. Obviously post-COVID demand may change things. 

You might want tp check to see if your TA does not restrict "Bid to Upgrade".  This would be at least one good reason to book direct.

Notice below was in my booking confirmation.

Bid to Upgrade: XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX does not participate in cruise line bid-based stateroom upgrade programs.

Cheers

🍻

if you really want the cheapest 

Be flexible 

book the cheapest category without any perks, but it my end up costing more when considering the total cost at the end of the cruise.

book the guaranteed price but don’t expect to end up in the PHS for the cost of a inside.    Most times you will end up with the worse possible cabin.  Sometimes you may luck out but don’t count on it.  

Take the cruise no matter where it goes  not  considering the cost of travel to and from the port  and other related expenses.  The cruise may be the cheapest part but the other expenses may cost you more to get that rate.

Personally I want the cruise to be a nice experience as we only cruise or travel a few times a years.   I book what I want and the time period I want and the cabin.   If the price is too high I look at other lines or other travel vacation options 

I will occasionally check for price drops but most times when the price does drop it eliminates the perks and be a guaranteed. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Here's one suggestion our X PVP told us to do. Initially, book a cruise with a refundable deposit. This way you can cancel the cruise anytime before final payment and get all of your deposit back. Then, about a week or so before you make final payment and you still plan on going, change the booking to a nonrefundable deposit to get the additional discount for doing so.

1 hour ago, Sam.Seattle said:

You might want tp check to see if your TA does not restrict "Bid to Upgrade".  This would be at least one good reason to book direct.

Notice below was in my booking confirmation.

Bid to Upgrade: XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX does not participate in cruise line bid-based stateroom upgrade programs.

Cheers

🍻

That can be a factor for some.

We never participate in the bidding auction for upgrades.  We've seen people pay more for the upgrade than what the cabin originally was priced.  And with suite prices as they are, would never pay that kind of money for a suite.

Pricing for the next cpl years, I think is anyones guess.  If and when cruising is allowed to start from the US I would not expect to see many discounts in the market.  Right now prices are very high and have not seen any deals anywhere.  I have my cruises that I lifted and shifted from last november if I tried booking them now it would be 5000 or more for a basic balcony cabin on the Constellation currently, then what I paid.  Before I use to try to find TA's who had group bookings and that was usually the best for me.  I will be participating in the bidding if my november cruises happen as I want to try to get to AQ rooms but only time will tell on that 

Some of the prices are ridiculous. We were looking at Japan for April 2022. A basic veranda on the 14 night cruise was £3639. The April 2023 just came out and managed to snap up a hump balcony at £2326. Admittedly a 12 nighter rather than 14 nights but a significant difference. That does not include the 10% military discount so a good deal!

We would not usually book so far in advance but it is an  itinerary we want to do and need something to fill the long winter days.

I was looking at X for the caribbean November and December and thought the prices were ridiculous. Currently thinking of Oceania as their pricing seems heavily discounted for a great product at the moment.

Regarding the constant changes to the prices. Does X have dynamic pricing? Use another computer or browser in INcognito.

No option for non-refundable deposits in the UK. Never find the UK (or USA) TAs any better on prices and no associated military discount. 

I always try to book each cruise as early as possible...You can always get price drops (as long as it's prior to final payment, and, under certain circumstances even after) and that original booking fare serves as a "hedge" against increases...

I always book through a travel agent--one who offers refundable OBC to, basically, discount the price...and, sometimes, has group rates...Always a better deal than going direct.  Of course, you give up dealing directly with the line for many things...and your TA isn't always available, but there are ways of coping with that.

I always book either the cabin category I really want...or, at least, the cabin category I'm willing to settle for if nothing moves in the fare structure.  I'll book a "guarantee" rate (if available) if it's significantly lower and the location on the ship isn't as important to me.  Hint:  Assume you're getting the absolute worst location in that category--even though, often, you'd be surprised in what you actually get assigned.  Also, once you are assigned a cabin, you can call and have them move it to any other open cabin in the same category.

Then, I just keep monitoring the prices.  Sometimes they do nothing but go up as the cruise sells out and you feel really good about having snagged that early low fare.  Sometimes, it goes down...and you can call and have them re-fare it...but, remember, if the deal has changed--like you booked it all-inclusive and the new low fare is no frills, you DON'T keep those perks if you re-fare.  Sometimes you get really lucky.  I booked a Japan cruise for 2021 which I've now lifted and shifted to 2022...but, when I originally booked it, it was about $6000 total for two for a deck 2 OV with drink package, gratuities and $200 TA OBC...Then, one day I caught a fare for just two available cabins--a 2A Balcony or a Aqua class for about $2360 total for two with $350 in OBC but no drink package or gratuities (but, who cares)...I let my sister and BIL have the Aqua and I took the 2A--because, originally for 2021, I was on back-to-backs and could get the same 2A for both ends.  Now, we've lifted and shifted it to 2022 on Solstice...and that price is now SEVERAL thousand dollars less than booking even an inside today,

Also, always look at categories other than your original booking.  Most often, we have found they have trouble selling out Concierge class.  Several times now, we have moved to Concierge cabins AFTER final payment date because the model is based on supply and demand.  On our last Alaska cruise, we booked an inside...then moved it to Concierge right after final payment date when the price for Concierge dropped lower than our original inside rate!  (though, being after final payment, they just upgraded the cabin but wouldn't give us the slightly lower rate...not too much difference...and we were still very okay with that).

If you catch the lower rate while monitoring, place a hold on it!  These rates disappear quickly.  Also, watch your roll call as well as this message board...often people will post about rate drops....AND, there are some websites out there that will "alert" you about price drops--though I am not sure how dependable any are.

Also, if you use Shore Excursions, continually monitor the prices of those...one or two times a year, Celebrity will run 10% or 20% off sales...Book those early, especially if you have OBC...If those drops, you have to cancel and rebook, but you can get the lower price.

Good luck...

13 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Here's one suggestion our X PVP told us to do. Initially, book a cruise with a refundable deposit. This way you can cancel the cruise anytime before final payment and get all of your deposit back. Then, about a week or so before you make final payment and you still plan on going, change the booking to a nonrefundable deposit to get the additional discount for doing so.

Isn't that taking a chance the price will actually be higher by then ? I don't tend to make bookings I'm going to cancel and luckily after 30+ cruises I haven't had to. The only ones that have cancelled have been by the cruiseline.

7 hours ago, Ashland said:

Isn't that taking a chance the price will actually be higher by then ? I don't tend to make bookings I'm going to cancel and luckily after 30+ cruises I haven't had to. The only ones that have cancelled have been by the cruiseline.

If the price goes way up, that's cool. Since we book most of our cruises when they first appear 18-24+ months out, it only makes sense for us to book with a refundable deposit. This way if a more desirable itinerary appears, whether it's with X or possibly a different cruise line, we are free to make the jump without sacrificing a $100 pp "administration fee" for cancelling a NRD booking.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

Celebrity is losing money to the tune of several hundred million dollars a month yet the people that want them to survive are looking to pay as little money as possible. I guess the thought is, let them survive but let other people pay for it.

10 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Celebrity is losing money to the tune of several hundred million dollars a month yet the people that want them to survive are looking to pay as little money as possible. I guess the thought is, let them survive but let other people pay for it.

That's fair.  But you should also realize that Celebrity and the other cruise lines want to spend as little as possible on your cruise.  I guess the thought is, let them come back as our passengers, but give them as little as possible.

25 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

That's fair.  But you should also realize that Celebrity and the other cruise lines want to spend as little as possible on your cruise.  I guess the thought is, let them come back as our passengers, but give them as little as possible.

Then X has mastered the art as we just don't get that feeling of being short changed when we're on an X cruise. We enjoy going to 3-4 trivia games on sea days, seeing great theater shows in the evening as well as going to the interactive game shows held between them. We enjoy going to 2-3 lectures on sea days on their longer cruises, as well as attending the various presentations held in Celebrity Central. We also very much enjoy watching other folks have a blast during Silent Disco. 

Then, if we decide to book an AQ or SS cabin, there's the extra joy of dining in either Blu or Luminae, depending on which type of cabin we booked. But, I have to say if we're able to eat in Luminae, that is definitely an extra treat, to include trying their variety of tasty chocolate desserts after enjoying a wonderful main entree!

Sorry, we just miss cruising so much and got a little carried away!!! 😁😁

I booked a cruise directly with Celeb yesterday.  They have a pretty liberal cancellation policy - cancel prior to 48 hours of departure & your money becomes a Future Cruise Credit.  (There are terms & Cond’s, of course).  So I said: I love in Florida and I can go on a moments notice.... has your management suggested restarting what used to be called “Drop & Go” or real “Last Minute” deals?”  She said no because most people actually cancel when Final Payment is due (currently 90 days).   I suggested that COVID might have changed that.....  

>>>>> I’d love to see last minute offers go out, say to eligible Elites & above, for cabins that are going to go out empty in a week or less....  They have all my info and I could keep my COVID test/vax data up to date and have my passport expiration date on file in order to be eligible - it’s not like I could be a terrorist or something and they’d need to confirm that that should let me aboard. They know me well....   I can be at any Florida port tomorrow!

I have a related question. We have only cruised once on X but on a test booking some months ago I did see a discount when I entered Captain's Circle number. Yesterday there was no discount when I did a test booking. Is this discount dependent on which cruise / date ?

Separate question, a Poster from Southampton UK mentioned Military Discount - is this just US Military ? Princess recognizes UK military as well

The Captains Club discount was a limited time offer and has expired.  The military discount I believe is available to everyone.  Have you clicked on the "See if you qualify for offers"?   I'm not sure if the discount is available on all sailings.

image.png.72ab14eb8d389a7425585f7f10cfc6ce.png

Edited by wrk2cruise
2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

The Captains Club discount was a limited time offer and has expired.  The military discount I believe is available to everyone.  Have you clicked on the "See if you qualify for offers"?   I'm not sure if the discount is available on all sailings.

image.png.72ab14eb8d389a7425585f7f10cfc6ce.png

Yes I signed in and also put Captains Club number in. Did not appreciate it was a promotion. Often Princess has a discount for past passengers. Thanks for info.