What travel agents are bring told...

A friend owns a travel agency that serves luxury lines like crystal(tho he recommends other lines) and hes been advised not to sell any 2021 cruises from this week going forward.

Enough said

1 hour ago, Rotterdam said:

A friend owns a travel agency that serves luxury lines like crystal(tho he recommends other lines) and hes been advised not to sell any 2021 cruises from this week going forward.

Enough said

For all cruise lines or just for Crystal?
Ivi

8 hours ago, Rotterdam said:

Enough said

Being advised by whom?  Each individual luxury line?  CLIA?  The CDC?

Vince

Edited by BWIVince
6 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Being advised by whom?  Each individual luxury line?  CLIA?  The CDC?

Vince

If that's their personal opinion, they are entitled to it, and they may well end up being correct. No one knows what the cruise industry, or travel in general, will look like in the second half of 2021. Having said that, I have not seen anything from any official source to corroborate the statement.

This was a corporate statement made to their agents here In the USA.   I posted because i read too many statements ok n these boards encouraging booking cruises for the near future.  Even with poor response to cancelled cruises & refunds etc, its beyond me that people are willing to throw away good $$$ after bad.  Certainly certain lines are more than willing to take consumers $$$ knowing the cruises will not take place which may or may not be in their control.

This is a common business practice.

Just because some on these boards are baseless cheerleaders, doesnt mean their opinions should be validated. Its akin to the fools that still refuse to wear face masks these days

The information was passed on to be helpful, for some reason a few believe their opinion is more important that the facts/truth w the effects of this GLOBAL PANDEMIC. Shame on them.

14 minutes ago, Rotterdam said:

This was a corporate statement made to their agents here In the USA.   I posted because i read too many statements ok n these boards encouraging booking cruises for the near future.  Even with poor response to cancelled cruises & refunds etc, its beyond me that people are willing to throw away good $$$ after bad.  Certainly certain lines are more than willing to take consumers $$$ knowing the cruises will not take place which may or may not be in their control.

Just because some on these boards are baseless cheerleaders, doesnt mean their opinions should be validated. Its akin to the fools that still refuse to wear face masks these days

The information was passed on to be helpful, for some reason a few believe their opinion is more important that the facts/truth w the effects of this GLOBAL PANDEMIC. Shame on them.

Could you please elaborate on this?  Is it the case that the travel agency is telling their agents to stop booking 2021 cruises?  And for that matter, any 2021 cruises?  Or any 2021 Crystal cruises?  I would be very interested in knowing more about this.

1 hour ago, Psoque said:

Could you please elaborate on this?  Is it the case that the travel agency is telling their agents to stop booking 2021 cruises?  And for that matter, any 2021 cruises?  Or any 2021 Crystal cruises?  I would be very interested in knowing more about this.

Plus 1

3 hours ago, Rotterdam said:

Well, here’s a fact a not an opinion...  No one has been able to throw good money after bad with Crystal since the start of their refund issues — they haven’t been able to accept credit card payments for months and months.

Vince

2 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Well, here’s a fact a not an opinion...  No one has been able to throw good money after bad with Crystal since the start of their refund issues — they haven’t been able to accept credit card payments for months and months.

Are you sure about that?

We’re coming up to the deadline for people who cancelled bookings around the start of the pandemic in March 2020 when the “Admin Fees” (up to $500 per cancelled booking) withheld by Crystal will start to expire at 12 months following the cancellation, unless a new booking is made before they expire and the balance due for deposits will need to be paid. I believe the cruise booking must be for travel within 24 months - so for the early ones coming up that’s March 2023 - and the deposit is due on booking 

Happy to be corrected on this but I believe deposits, albeit partly funded by the retained Admin fees, will soon be taken by Crystal - or else customers will lose their Admin fees

I know the only way I’ll be giving Crystal any new money will be via my AMEX as they’ve proven the most reliable when disputes need to be made to secure refunds 

2 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Are you sure about that?

We’re coming up to the deadline for people who cancelled bookings around the start of the pandemic in March 2020 when the “Admin Fees” (up to $500 per cancelled booking) withheld by Crystal will start to expire at 12 months following the cancellation, unless a new booking is made before they expire and the balance due for deposits will need to be paid. I believe the cruise booking must be for travel within 24 months - so for the early ones coming up that’s March 2023 - and the deposit is due on booking 

Happy to be corrected on this but I believe deposits, albeit partly funded by the retained Admin fees, will soon be taken by Crystal - or else customers will lose their Admin fees

I know the only way I’ll be giving Crystal any new money will be via my AMEX as they’ve proven the most reliable when disputes need to be made to secure refunds 

I didn’t say Crystal will never be able to collect payments again, but I’m positive no one has thrown good money after bad since the mountain of chargebacks started.

We’ll see if the February 22 payment deadline holds, but that date has changed several times before, and judging from the refund thread I can’t imagine they have reconciled their merchant accounts even with “agreements” with their processors.  As I said earlier though, I’d be delighted to be proven wrong on the prediction.  I do understand the complexity of having to reach out to everyone and change the booking credit terms, which makes this time harder to stall.

That definitely can’t change the fact I stated though.

Vince

I should add that one reason I’m going so far out on that limb and making a prediction about the payment date changing is to tempt fate...  Like washing my truck to ensure it rains.  I’d really love for Crystal to get things back in order, that certainly benefits all of us.  Just not sure that’s what my gut says this week, but if I can sacrifice my predictive credibility for Crystal’s viability, I’m glad to do it.  😀 

Vince 

On 2/15/2021 at 12:03 PM, Rotterdam said:

If you’re referring to Virtuoso putting out advice not to book Crystal isn’t this old news?

15 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

After just reading the prior post from the OP on another thread, looks like the intent of this thread is to stir things up so I wouldn't waste a lot of time on this IMHO.

It’s a statement about what they’ve heard - surely they’re allowed to post on Cruise Critic about what they’ve heard? Even if you don’t like the message that’s hardly a valid reason to dismiss it as “stirring things up” 

we’ve seen Virtuoso put out advice to their members not to book clients on Crystal so maybe this is that or maybe another consortium has issued similar advice?

2 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

It’s a statement about what they’ve heard - surely they’re allowed to post on Cruise Critic about what they’ve heard? Even if you don’t like the message that’s hardly a valid reason to dismiss it as “stirring things up” 

we’ve seen Virtuoso put out advice to their members not to book clients on Crystal so maybe this is that or maybe another consortium has issued similar advice?

Well like all things we all can have our own opinions and I stand by mine.

I am hardly the first person on this board to say someone is trying to stir things up.  

Looks like  several others agreed with my comment. 

Keith

6 hours ago, BWIVince said:

I didn’t say Crystal will never be able to collect payments again, but I’m positive no one has thrown good money after bad since the mountain of chargebacks started.

We’ll see if the February 22 payment deadline holds, but that date has changed several times before, and judging from the refund thread I can’t imagine they have reconciled their merchant accounts even with “agreements” with their processors.  As I said earlier though, I’d be delighted to be proven wrong on the prediction.  I do understand the complexity of having to reach out to everyone and change the booking credit terms, which makes this time harder to stall.

That definitely can’t change the fact I stated though.

Vince

Like you, I more or less expect the Feb 22 date to be extended, probably into March. If they do that, I would not be surprised to see them unilaterally extend the expiry date on those early Admin Fee FCCs. Of course, this is all speculation on my part and I hope we are both wrong as that would probably signal an improvement in Crystal's position vis-a-vis their credit card agreements. The mass market lines have been extending expiry dates fairly steadily on all of their FCCs as the shutdown has dragged on. A couple of weeks ago Celebrity extended all of theirs to May 31/22 to book for sailings into 2023.

The interesting thing about this is they mention that the Stralsund facility where the Endeavor is supposedly soon to be completed might be shut down.  So far as I know the only ships that the MV Werften yards are looking to build are Crystal or Dream ships and given current financial conditions and the need for new ships i don't imagine that they will be oversubscribed by new contracts from other companies but we will see.  On another curious note and rife for speculation, the Genting Hong Kong stock price spiked late in their trading day from 30 cents to 41.5 cents so maybe something is going on that a select few know about and the rest of us can only wait to hear about.

6 hours ago, Roland4 said:

I would not be surprised to see them unilaterally extend the expiry date on those early Admin Fee FCCs

I’d put a big bet on a 6 month extension to the current expiry dates for those coming up soon 😉

If it doesn’t come universally I’d have your TA approach Crystal with that request 😉

By September we should/might have a better view of what the future holds for Crystal and cruising in general 

Edited by Stickman1990
9 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Like you, I more or less expect the Feb 22 date to be extended, probably into March. If they do that, I would not be surprised to see them unilaterally extend the expiry date on those early Admin Fee FCCs. Of course, this is all speculation on my part and I hope we are both wrong as that would probably signal an improvement in Crystal's position vis-a-vis their credit card agreements. The mass market lines have been extending expiry dates fairly steadily on all of their FCCs as the shutdown has dragged on. A couple of weeks ago Celebrity extended all of theirs to May 31/22 to book for sailings into 2023.

No news on extensions yet. I have just two grand due (deposit on  May 2022 short river cruise) on the still unmoved Feb. 22 date. Still deciding whether to cancel or go ahead with the relatively small money involved. Advice welcome🤔

Highly likely that there will be changes to the deposit policy by Friday. There is a Crystal webinar for agents that will deal with, among other things, deposit policies scheduled for Thursday.

I am still trying to figure out what happened to my promised 25% FCC when I cancelled 90 days out last March. No communication ever from Crystal; I wonder if they ever issued it?  I'd assume not since zero communication.

40 minutes ago, resistk said:

I am still trying to figure out what happened to my promised 25% FCC when I cancelled 90 days out last March. No communication ever from Crystal; I wonder if they ever issued it?  I'd assume not since zero communication.

Ask your TA. Mine are all there in my account. The info is accessible by the TA but is not visible to the guest, at least last time I looked.