Jump to content

Future Cruise Credit Extension


Recommended Posts

I received this from NCL on 10 February:

"I am proud to announce an extension for all active Future Cruise Credits,
CruiseNext and CruiseFirst certificates that currently have an expiry date prior to
December 31, 2021. This extension now adjusts the ‘book by’ date for these credits and
certificates until December 31, 2021, all while remaining towards any sailings through
December 31, 2022 or original sailing date on your certificate, if later.

Harry Sommer
President & CEO
Norwegian Cruise Line"

I have a CruiseNext certificate expiring in October 2021.  So in these uncertain times, with no known restart date for cruising, NCL expects me to book a cruise by December 31st!

Seems rather mean to me!  I would have preferred a 2 year extension to the CruiseNext certificate.  I don't want to get into booking, demands for full payment, and then cancellations, and wrangles with refunds etc etc.

I would be very interested in the views of other CruiseCritic members.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, techappl said:

I have a CruiseNext certificate expiring in October 2021.  So in these uncertain times, with no known restart date for cruising, NCL expects me to book a cruise by December 31st!

Seems rather mean to me!  I would have preferred a 2 year extension to the CruiseNext certificate.

 

There's lots of things that I'd prefer.  I'd prefer if NCL sent me chocolates and wine every other month until cruising starts again, to help console me.  I'd prefer if my oceanview cabins suddenly got balconies and if the mini-bar was free.

Doesn't mean that they should, or are going to, happen.

They've ensured that everybody has nearly another year from now to book a cruise, and nearly two years to take it.  If cruises still aren't happening in 10 months, it's probable (IMO) that they'll extend them again, but it's not to their advantage to give a massive extension now when they're hoping to be cruising long before that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can actually book up 2 years out with this extension.  Call the cruise next department at 866-234-7352 and ask.  What you can do is book a cruise 2 years out and then change the booking to something sooner if find something you like.  What you cannot do is book something 6 months from 12/31/21 and then change the booking to a "later" date in the future.  You can only change the date to something "sooner".  The cruise next department explained this to me.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, techappl said:

I received this from NCL on 10 February:

"I am proud to announce an extension for all active Future Cruise Credits,
CruiseNext and CruiseFirst certificates that currently have an expiry date prior to
December 31, 2021. This extension now adjusts the ‘book by’ date for these credits and
certificates until December 31, 2021, all while remaining towards any sailings through
December 31, 2022 or original sailing date on your certificate, if later.

Harry Sommer
President & CEO
Norwegian Cruise Line"

I have a CruiseNext certificate expiring in October 2021.  So in these uncertain times, with no known restart date for cruising, NCL expects me to book a cruise by December 31st!

Seems rather mean to me!  I would have preferred a 2 year extension to the CruiseNext certificate.  I don't want to get into booking, demands for full payment, and then cancellations, and wrangles with refunds etc etc.

I would be very interested in the views of other CruiseCritic members.

Refunds are automatic. No wrangling. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The points you have all made are appreciated.  But here's the thing. I have lost almost 2 years validity from my CruiseNext certificate, bought in good faith at the time to have a 4 year validity, because NCL cruises have not been available for almost a year are not available now, or likely to be soon, in all reality.  I usually book about 4 weeks ahead of sailing.  Why would I take a blind shot in the dark and book up to the end of 2022 by the end of this year with so many unknowns in the mix?  Companies go bust, countries change who they allow into their ports, the Covid states of some countries may well change for the worse by then, and last but not least, I may well not fancy the crowd intensive cruise product under the continuing Covid risk at such a  distant time in the future.

Don't get me wrong, we love our cruising, having done around 50 to date.  But I would hope that NCL honour  CruiseNext certificates by extending them properly before they expire, to allow a safe and wide choice of cruises once people have confidence in the cruise product again.  And that may be some time off!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, techappl said:

But I would hope that NCL honour  CruiseNext certificates by extending them properly before they expire

I've said it in another thread - NCL may be waiting until cruising resumes to make a decision here, to do a one-time extension.  What I envision is a one-time extension of CND expirations for the same amount of time that sailing was suspended.  There MAY be a restriction on that though - the existing courtesy extensions many get or rely on may not be allowed on these CNDs that were extended.  Do they extend all or only those that expired during the shutdown?  I'm not sure about that one.  That's an argument to be made to NCL when this is over.

 

Honestly, let's get through the shutdowns, get sailing again and (if you ask some here) see if NCL even survives this.

 

I should clarify my stance - I also have CNDs to use, I bought them on my second Bliss sailing in 2019.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone heard anything about Cruise next certificates that have expired after they stopped sailing but before this extension had been announced. i.e., ones that expired between Mar 2020 and Feb 2021?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone received the mentioned extension for their future cruise credits? Mine still appear with an expiration date of 6/30/2021.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cksv said:

Has anyone received the mentioned extension for their future cruise credits? Mine still appear with an expiration date of 6/30/2021.

It doesn't really matter what your FCCs say, or what it still says in your MYNCL account, it's in the POM letter which was sent out and that has given the extension.  Your FCCs must be used for booking a cruise by Dec. 31 2021 for a cruise which sails by December 31 2022.

 

It's pretty much written in stone, while still  having no stone worth the cash you've already given NCL.  You're fine.  I have over $3000 USD in FCCs so I understand the level of anxiety you may be feeling.  

 

https://www.ncl.com/suspended-sailings

 

Cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites

Check your My NCL accounts! As of today (I've been checking daily) my Future Cruise Credits are showing an expiration date of 12/31/2021. 😃

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2021 at 8:08 PM, All-ready2cruise said:

It doesn't really matter what your FCCs say, or what it still says in your MYNCL account, it's in the POM letter which was sent out and that has given the extension.  Your FCCs must be used for booking a cruise by Dec. 31 2021 for a cruise which sails by December 31 2022.

This is precisely correct and mirrors the content of the letter I received from NCL.  Moreover, without committing to any specific dates, NCLH CEO made it clear in the last conference call, extensions beyond the current dates are envisioned if the duration of the shutdown further dictates.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Enuff legalese. We, who need to keep life simple, have been needing explicit FCC extensions for when we manage our online reservations. And now we've finally got it, just as a tidal wave is sweeping the Pacific with specific threats from Micronesia to Mexico. And I mean Tidal rather than something beginning with unpronounceable Tsu sounds. Tidal is long understood to be metaphorical, although in this case the height is estimated to be only 1 meter and docked NCL ships presumably will survive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, cksv said:

Check your My NCL accounts! As of today (I've been checking daily) my Future Cruise Credits are showing an expiration date of 12/31/2021. 😃

Mine too!  Haven't got to my husbands yet...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...