Do you think Carnival will bring back straws ?

VentureMan_2000

They could already be doing paper straws if that was the only concern.

I think it has a lot to do with how expensive these are compared to regular straws. Personally I don't use straws for most drinks, and have a collapsible metal straw to cover when I do want one.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

It's an expense they eliminated. I don't think they'll bring them back. I don't mind buying my own but it's a pain remembering to bring some every time you go to a bar.

Exactly, very hard to get a company to reinstitute a cost they have been able to eliminate. It was probably something they have always wanted to do anyway and then the swell in public opinion allowed them to move forward without looking cheap. You will notice they have never tried to eliminate plastic water bottles as that is a profit margin and a rather large one I am guessing. 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, LHARTWICK said:

I thought Carnival had already eliminated plastic straws?  On our last few CCL cruises they were using the sugar straws.  Yes - I also wish this was my only cruise concern right now!  

Yes, the OP was wondering if Carnival might return with a new biodegradable straw and I think they might for a fee if they see a market. 

• Like 1

Well, banning  plastic straws was just a symbolic gesture. Sorta like Al Gore's iconic polar bear. Straws in and of themselves weren't really the problem anywhere.  Takes more than the total production of all plastic straws ever made to even register on the radar as a minor issue.  Most of the plastic garbage in the ocean comes from SE Asia where everything just gets dumped into the sea.   

But it was ending Carnival's and other cruise lines contributions in total to creating ocean waste via dumping at sea that as helped reduce that waste.  Getting the other countries of the world to go along and stop the dumping is a high hurdle to overcome.

• Like 1

I remember reading a Dental study where plastic straws were discussed. All of the Dentists surveyed said they recommended using a plastic straw to minimize the excess acid entering your mouth from acidic drinks. The real downside came when they said people chewed on the straws.

I personally don't use them for fear of swallowing what might be lurking at the bottom of the beverage?

Just my way of protecting myself.      

LOL....now people get triggered if you dare discuss anything other than the pandemic or hungry people.  

As for straws, I hope they bring them back if not I will bring some with me.  It is insane people fall for these kneejerk measures under the guise of saving the environment when it is nothing but a feel good measure.  It is in line with celebrities and politicians who rail on about climate change only to travel on private jets. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

The article was saying the cost is less than a penny per straw.  To compare, straws cost 0.4 cents each when you purchase a box of 3000 straws from a big box store.

First website I checked you can buy bulk wrapped straws for 0.0029/straw. I'd guess Carnival paid way less than that. So less than a penny could mean 3-4 times the cost. 

Edited by Jamesatgsu

Learn to do without using straws.  Does not improve the taste or drinkability. Actually makes the drink disappear faster. Learn to sip and enjoy the whole experience. Then we don't have to worry about the environment because they are eventually eliminated. 

5 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

Learn to do without using straws.  Does not improve the taste or drinkability. Actually makes the drink disappear faster. Learn to sip and enjoy the whole experience. Then we don't have to worry about the environment because they are eventually eliminated. 

On my last cruise I took a Kiss On the Lips bath when I tipped the glass up to drink and the whole thing came out in a clump down my chest and into my lap!  DD thought it was the funniest thing she had ever seen.  Carnival had run out of the sugar straws.  Hard to sip those frozen drinks.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pe4all said:

On my last cruise I took a Kiss On the Lips bath when I tipped the glass up to drink and the whole thing came out in a clump down my chest and into my lap!  DD thought it was the funniest thing she had ever seen.  Carnival had run out of the sugar straws.  Hard to sip those frozen drinks.

We will all chip in and make sure to get you a bib next time. There's always a remedy; let it melt and enjoy the pleasure.

7 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

Learn to do without using straws...Actually makes the drink disappear faster. 

Have to disagree.  If you use a straw, you're ingesting drink only, while if you're not using a straw, you're ingesting a combination of drink and air.  So if straws are provided, you'll consume the drink faster.

• Like 1