I called BPCL and actually spoke to a representative. He informed that they will start advertising for their sailings around March-April and going to try to start cruising in May. I asked if a vaccine will be necessary to board and he said no but a COVID-19 test would be required. I asked if they were going to purchase a newer ship than the Classica and his response was No, they were refitting the Classica. So there you go, we might have a chance to get to sail after all. But as we all know things can change. 

19 hours ago, mainelycruising said:

Resupplying?

"Refitting" means to me some type of physical alteration to the ship.  "Resupplying" means to me replenishing the supplies needed to operate the ship, i.e. food, drink, T.P., etc,  

45 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

"Refitting" means to me some type of physical alteration to the ship.  "Resupplying" means to me replenishing the supplies needed to operate the ship, i.e. food, drink, T.P., etc,  

When the pandemic hit last year, the Classica was in drydock. Not sure if that was completed but they were upgrading her interiors. 

1 minute ago, pinkie60 said:

When the pandemic hit last year, the Classica was in drydock. Not sure if that was completed but they were upgrading her interiors. 

If there is any "refitting" being done, I am sure that is what is taking place as well as preparing for any social distancing requirements that will probably be in place when cruising resumes.

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I know.  I was scaling the term to meet the expectations of this company.  

8 minutes ago, mainelycruising said:

I know.  I was scaling the term to meet the expectations of this company.  

It's going to be interesting as to what we experience by this cruise company or any of them when cruising is able to once again begin.  

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

It's going to be interesting as to what we experience by this cruise company or any of them when cruising is able to once again begin.  

I agree. It looks as though the industry will have been halted for 18 months before things begin to return to the 'new normal'.  I wonder what that will be? At least one cruise line (UK's Saga) has stipulated that all passengers and crew will be required to have been vaccinated (25% of that nation has been given the jab, compared with 15% here).  That is fine for 55+ folk in the UK - but will this line's passengers want to have that restriction for a cruise lasting just a few days?  

5 hours ago, mainelycruising said:

but will this line's passengers want to have that restriction for a cruise lasting just a few days?  

So many questions.  So few, if any, answers.  Stay safe and stay well yourself!

On 2/15/2021 at 3:00 PM, pinkie60 said:

I called BPCL and actually spoke to a representative. He informed that they will start advertising for their sailings around March-April and going to try to start cruising in May. I asked if a vaccine will be necessary to board and he said no but a COVID-19 test would be required. I asked if they were going to purchase a newer ship than the Classica and his response was No, they were refitting the Classica. So there you go, we might have a chance to get to sail after all. But as we all know things can change. 

Thanks. The ship itself is in great shape other then the normal rust problems all ships have. I would think the refitting is for Virus protection. Air Condition bringing fresh air and no recirculation will take a lot of refitting by itself. I think that is required for all cruise ships. In addition to major A/C upgrades because it will take larger A/C systems to cool the outside air coming into the system. Minor addition of Hand sanitizer stations etc.