Jump to content

Carnival Next ? Norwegian suspends thru May 31


Recommended Posts

On 2/19/2021 at 4:29 AM, skridge said:

It's interest free if they file bankruptcy, because you aren't getting that credit if that happens.

If I had a concern about that I sure wouldn't be putting even a down payment out there.  But if CCL goes bankrupt that will be the least of our concerns.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

May 1st is still a go from Mobile!!!!!!!!!!

 

https://www.al.com/life/2021/02/carnival-confirms-plans-for-sensation-to-sail-from-mobile-in-may.html?fbclid=IwAR1FtNNDCTMs4-ORgL1ByqsmIpKppaT_akH9MVaJW0mco1a6gPfKX_CmFFY

 

I read this article yesterday. This is all propaganda by Carnival to generate cash flow. They cannot get a cruise ship to leave the major ports they targeted to restart cruising. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ledges1 said:
12 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

May 1st is still a go from Mobile!!!!!!!!!!

 

https://www.al.com/life/2021/02/carnival-confirms-plans-for-sensation-to-sail-from-mobile-in-may.html?fbclid=IwAR1FtNNDCTMs4-ORgL1ByqsmIpKppaT_akH9MVaJW0mco1a6gPfKX_CmFFY

 

I read this article yesterday. This is all propaganda by Carnival to generate cash flow. They cannot get a cruise ship to leave the major ports they targeted to restart cruising. 

Expand  

The article even states that this plan depends on other factors:

 

"A company spokesman cautioned that those dates are contingent on some pandemic-related factors that remain unresolved."

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

Looks like it’s about to happen! You can’t book a May cruise right now. I expect the “Oh Snap!” to come soon. 

Indeed, you can try to select May as the date of sailing, and even select a specific cabin type and date, but it then says "No rates available for the number of travelers and specials you selected..." no matter what you do.  I tried a few different dates, different cabin types, two different ports.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

Looks like it’s about to happen! You can’t book a May cruise right now. I expect the “Oh Snap!” to come soon. 

Now I know why I got that Urgent Final Payment due email last night despite payment being Due March 15th.

 

Mostly just kidding since I think it is automated for 3 weeks out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MeganGC1983 said:

Looks like it’s about to happen! You can’t book a May cruise right now. I expect the “Oh Snap!” to come soon. 

Thanks for the update.  I hadn't check the website (or other online booking options) in at least 24 hours, so this is a new development for me.  You think the "Oh, Snap!" will come tomorrow, maybe?  As much as I don't want May cruises to be cancelled-since we are booked on one- we all know it's coming.  Let's just get it over with!  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, restasured said:

If I had a concern about that I sure wouldn't be putting even a down payment out there.  But if CCL goes bankrupt that will be the least of our concerns.

How can you not be concerned about a multi billion dollar company that has been hemorrhaging over half a billion dollars a month for close to a year now.  The only way they have been able to bring in any money over the last year is by fleecing their best customers and selling a monopoly game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Silent Penguin said:

Thanks for the update.  I hadn't check the website (or other online booking options) in at least 24 hours, so this is a new development for me.  You think the "Oh, Snap!" will come tomorrow, maybe?  As much as I don't want May cruises to be cancelled-since we are booked on one- we all know it's coming.  Let's just get it over with!  

 

 

Oh snap was there earlier. Now this Jacksonville cruise is being wonky. 

92AD117B-2CDD-4CFA-B462-A3832F8A29D7.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, skridge said:

How can you not be concerned about a multi billion dollar company that has been hemorrhaging over half a billion dollars a month for close to a year now.  The only way they have been able to bring in any money over the last year is by fleecing their best customers and selling a monopoly game.

Carnival is and has been the best positioned cruise company to weather this.  They had revenues of 20.7 billion dollars in 2019 and the previous 4 years were similar earnings.  They, fortunately, were cash rich when this all came about.  They have sold a couple of their older ships, so the likelihood of them going bankrupt is next to nothing.  Never say never, but bankruptcy is many months if not years away.  The projections for the end of this year will put them in the black for the first months of the years losses and projections (of course the pandemic will dictate much of that) are to be much better in the next 2 years.  Some economist believe they will be at the 2019 levels in less than 5 years (others are no as optimistic) but will be profitable during those 5 years.  So, first off I have 100 shares of CCL, for shareholder OBC, so if they did go bankrupt I would loose no more than $4k which is what those shares cost when I bought them.  I have gotten dividends for the past 4 years, have been on enough cruises to get $1.5k in OBC and veteran OBC.  So that 4k is now down to less of a loss, if they did go bankrupt.  Just my thoughts on it.  And I am way too old to do much worrying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, restasured said:

Carnival is and has been the best positioned cruise company to weather this.  They had revenues of 20.7 billion dollars in 2019 and the previous 4 years were similar earnings.  They, fortunately, were cash rich when this all came about.  They have sold a couple of their older ships, so the likelihood of them going bankrupt is next to nothing.  Never say never, but bankruptcy is many months if not years away.  The projections for the end of this year will put them in the black for the first months of the years losses and projections (of course the pandemic will dictate much of that) are to be much better in the next 2 years.  Some economist believe they will be at the 2019 levels in less than 5 years (others are no as optimistic) but will be profitable during those 5 years.  So, first off I have 100 shares of CCL, for shareholder OBC, so if they did go bankrupt I would loose no more than $4k which is what those shares cost when I bought them.  I have gotten dividends for the past 4 years, have been on enough cruises to get $1.5k in OBC and veteran OBC.  So that 4k is now down to less of a loss, if they did go bankrupt.  Just my thoughts on it.  And I am way too old to do much worrying.

Saying that Carnival could make it a few more years is absolutely absurd, but most of the information regarding the possibility of bankruptcy on these boards is absurd, which I guess makes your comment just par for the course.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, skridge said:

How can you not be concerned about a multi billion dollar company that has been hemorrhaging over half a billion dollars a month for close to a year now.  The only way they have been able to bring in any money over the last year is by fleecing their best customers and selling a monopoly game.

See therein lies the difference of opinions.  Unlike you I don't feel fleeced in any way shape of form for having willfully purchased a product knowing the potential for having to reschedule it due to the uncertainty of these current times and being absolutely comfortable in doing so however many times i have too just as i have had to cancel and reschedule dozens of other things.  I have yet to accuse any company of fleecing me because of something totally out of their control.  As for the monopoly game I doubt they pulled it out of their "funnel" on a whim thinking "hey, this will keep us afloat!!" I cant even purchase it as its only available for sale to a US Shipping address from what i can see so even if every US Carnival fan bought one i doubt it will even blip on the spreadsheet compared to other lost income.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oof, also a few simultaneous announcements from the sister lines Seabourn, Princess, and Holland America about cruises via Canada (Alaskan, Eastern seaboard, etc) being cancelled for the year.  So obviously the alleged hypothetical negotiations did not result in anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Oof, also a few simultaneous announcements from the sister lines Seabourn, Princess, and Holland America about cruises via Canada (Alaskan, Eastern seaboard, etc) being cancelled for the year.  So obviously the alleged hypothetical negotiations did not result in anything.

Did anyone actually expect there to be cruises this year that included Canada?

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

There IS no end to this...

 

EndOfMay now!.jpg

 

I think what is upsetting to most people is that they are cancelling on a month to month basis as opposed to 3 months at a time.

 

Azamara, formerly a RC line just cancelled until the end of June

Edited by Georgie562
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kdr69 said:

See therein lies the difference of opinions.  Unlike you I don't feel fleeced in any way shape of form for having willfully purchased a product knowing the potential for having to reschedule it due to the uncertainty of these current times and being absolutely comfortable in doing so however many times i have too just as i have had to cancel and reschedule dozens of other things.  I have yet to accuse any company of fleecing me because of something totally out of their control.  As for the monopoly game I doubt they pulled it out of their "funnel" on a whim thinking "hey, this will keep us afloat!!" I cant even purchase it as its only available for sale to a US Shipping address from what i can see so even if every US Carnival fan bought one i doubt it will even blip on the spreadsheet compared to other lost income.

The Monopoly game was a joke and the fleecing is real in my opinion.  If you like giving interest free loans to Billion dollar corporations that have had nothing but half a billion plus in losses a month for the past year. feel free.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...