When is a refundable deposit not worth it

So normally I always book a refundable deposit.  It’s usually around $200-$300 more (total) then the non refundable.  I’m looking at a cruise for Summer 2022.  And this particular cruise is giving me the  refundable rate as $575 higher (for 3 people) then the non refundable.  

At what point do people feel the premium for a refundable fee isn’t worth it? 

Right now I’m leaning towards just going with the refundable since it’s the same deposit amount and switching to non refundable closer fo the date if it’s cheaper.  But I could end up paying $575 more for the cruise if prices go up.  

10 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

When you cancel the cruise 

You feel the refundable fare is NOT worth it when you cancel? That doesn’t make any sense.  

My questions is at what amount would you not book a refundable fare.  The amount you pay over a non refundable fare.  

6 minutes ago, Canadianmama3 said:

You feel the refundable fare is NOT worth it when you cancel? That doesn’t make any sense.  

My questions is at what amount would you not book a refundable fare.  The amount you pay over a non refundable fare.  

A lot of people before NRD would book many place holder cruises with no intention of taking most those cruises.  Happened a lot with Suites, especially on ships like Majesty out of PC. Only Suites had balconies.  There were other abuses going on as well. 

You have those people to thank for NRD. 

NRD are only an issue if you cancel the cruise. It does make sense. 

M8

In the past I have booked NRD along with insurance that covers pre-existing conditions.  This has always covered the worst case scenario for us, until Covid.

I'm not sure what I will do in the future, but right now I'm not booking anything until cruising is back up and running and the cruise lines are still offering a product I'm interested in.

Even then,  I will probably book after final payment is due, so it won't be an issue.

Edited by mek

I put a refundable hold on the Royal Loft on Quantum for Alaska and when I finally booked the difference in cost between refundable and non-refundable was almost $3000 for 4 people.  For us it was not much of a choice which one we chose.  

6 hours ago, mek said:

In the past I have booked NRD along with insurance that covers pre-existing conditions.  This has always covered the worst case scenario for us, until Covid.

I'm not sure what I will do in the future, but right now I'm not booking anything until cruising is back up and running and the cruise lines are still offering a product I'm interested in.

Even then,  I will probably book after final payment is due, so it won't be an issue.

This is how we also did it, although when refundable was only around $100-$150 would sometimes opt for that.  I also took the insurance because one of my wife's relatives ended up with a $70k medical bill due to inadequate travel insurance. 

At this point would agree that need to wait until there is some stability before booking anything at sea.

We've found that the difference is there all the way up to final payment- when the deposit become non-refundable regardless.  So you can change to the non-refundable fare just before final payment, and take the a lower cost.

We do both, depending on the price difference and our certainty of cruising. I’ve been finding the refundable price to be much higher than it used to be. I weigh out the penalty cost of cancelling with non-refundable deposit ($100 per person, with the plan to move the deposit amount to another sailing so it isn’t lost). I also consider my confidence in actually taking that cruise,.  The farther out I book, the more chances something else might come up with my kids schedules etc, so I’m more likely to book the refundable deposit. We’ve also booked refundable ($800 more for 4 people), planning to change it to the lower non-refundable price once we were more certain that the date was ok. We panicked for a bit when the non-refundable price went higher than what we paid, and as soon as it came back down again we locked into the Non-Ref.

17 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

We've found that the difference is there all the way up to final payment- when the deposit become non-refundable regardless.  So you can change to the non-refundable fare just before final payment, and take the a lower cost.

By the time final payment comes around that non refundable rate may very well be higher than what you paid for the refundable. 

20 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

It has been my experience that by the time I decide I want to convert my booking to NRD the price has gone up so much that the refundable is still cheaper.  Maybe I have just had bad luck that way.

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

By the time final payment comes around that non refundable rate may very well be higher than what you paid for the refundable. 

I should have read your response before sending mine !

13 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

10 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

It has been my experience that by the time I decide I want to convert my booking to NRD the price has gone up so much that the refundable is still cheaper.  Maybe I have just had bad luck that way.

That has ALWAYS been the case for me  And I tripled it😇 (the response)

Edited by molly361
7 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

When you cancel the cruise 

Wouldn’t that be the one time a refundable deposit is worth it?

Edited by Heymarco
2 hours ago, alfaeric said:

That’s what I was thinking.   The deposit amount is the same.  

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yours just added to it and reinforced that even be for final payment the savings can disappear. 

I think if the difference was higher I would be more worried about this.  But i think we are just going to risk it.  Knowing we could be stuck paying this amount.   

1 hour ago, Heymarco said:

For us it’s not worth it simply because you can still change a NRD to another sailing for a flat $100 pp.

That's a lot of money for changing your mind.

Just now, marci22 said:

That's a lot of money for changing your mind.

I always fully intend to go. Plus it’s almost always cheaper than refundable deposit. Otherwise I would consider refundable.

12 minutes ago, Canadianmama3 said:

I think if the difference was higher I would be more worried about this.  But i think we are just going to risk it.  Knowing we could be stuck paying this amount.   

$600 extra is a lot if you get stuck with it. I’m assuming this sailing will be after CWC expires? Also, have you considered cheaper alternatives such as travel insurance or change fee with NRD?