Newbie here-Dress Code Questions

cruisekitty22

Being new to Celebrity as never been on a Celebrity cruise ever.  I was wondering about the dress code. Can my husband get away with wearing sweats to dinner in the main dining/specialty restaurants?  How strict are they with the dress code? This would be for a Caribbean cruise.  Celebrity has lots of itineraries we like. I understand less kids go on Celebrity. Is this true?  This would be a winter cruise, not school times.

13 minutes ago, cruisekitty22 said:

Being new to Celebrity as never been on a Celebrity cruise ever.  I was wondering about the dress code. Can my husband get away with wearing sweats to dinner in the main dining/specialty restaurants?  How strict are they with the dress code? This would be for a Caribbean cruise.  Celebrity has lots of itineraries we like. I understand less kids go on Celebrity. Is this true?  This would be a winter cruise, not school times.

The dress codes can be found on the webside and have become more relaxed - which is not always good.

I don´t get what exactly you call "sweats" but assume that you mean sweat pants etc. 
That would be a no - just like shorts. And with the usual few exceptions, the dress code is actually applied and enforced. The feasible kind of pants, shirts etc. is roughly described on the website FAQs.

Celebrity have less kids than the family cruise lines like Royal, NCL etc.
That is correct. Still a few more kids on the Caribbean sailings than on more culture/history destinations but not that many in general.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Sweats are too casual for the sit down restaurants.  Khakis and a shirt with buttons (that is, not a tee shirt) will work. Jeans will work.  No shorts.

if you are planning to eat at the buffet, no swimwear is the rule there.  People coming in from the pool wear something over their bathing suits.

The dress code doesn't say anything specifically about sweat pants so you could probably get away with it, but there may be a few gasps as you pass by your fellow cruisers. Here are the enforced exclusions:

"T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening."

This webpage describes what men and women should be "comfortable" wearing in the dining rooms: https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/onboard-dress-code

The dress code also doesn’t say anything about showing up nude for dinner, but I don’t think ‘you could probably get away with it’ because it isn’t listed as excluded. Sweats? How about just putting on a pair of pants.

Celebrity has dropped away from formal nights and from coat/tie requirements, but that doesn’t really we an show up as if we were dining in our living room in front of the TV.......

I’ll leave my comments about how we men dont seem to want to leave acting like we are still little boys.  I love the old commets about ‘I had to wear a coat and tie to work and wont on vacation’, which also can be interpreted as: ‘I wear a coat/tie to work because I was paid to do that, but won’t just because wife would like me to’. 

Den

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Denny01 said:

The dress code also doesn’t say anything about showing up nude for dinner, but I don’t think ‘you could probably get away with it’ because it isn’t listed as excluded. Sweats? How about just putting on a pair of pants.

Celebrity has dropped away from formal nights and from coat/tie requirements, but that doesn’t really we an show up as if we were dining in our living room in front of the TV.......

I’ll leave my comments about how we men dont seem to want to leave acting like we are still little boys.  I love the old commets about ‘I had to wear a coat and tie to work and wont on vacation’, which also can be interpreted as: ‘I wear a coat/tie to work because I was paid to do that, but won’t just because wife would like me to’......OK I couldn’t just leave it at that could I??

Den

• Haha 1

Shirts with buttons don't not mean full button up shirts. I have done nice golf shirts and  dockers for years without a second glance.  The "rules are more relaxed on the first night because some people don't have their luggage yet but after that you do need to dress up a bit.

• Like 2

Great, we needed a good Dress Code thread to get out of the Covid/Vaccine rut. 

My last experience on Celebrity, which has been a while, was that almost anything goes. I'm not recommending that though. I would think that self respect would dictate a certain level of dress. 

There is a posted dress code, and then there is what is enforced. Those that are selfish will generally get away with whatever they want. 

• Like 4

Major Cruise lines are generally viewed from a 3 to 6 star rating.

3 star: NCL and Carnival. Considered to be more budget friendly.

4 star: Royal Caribbean. Family friendly with better amenities and better crew/passenger ratio.

5 star: Celebrity and Holland: Noted superior for service, dining and amenities.

6 star: Regent, etc. :

So,

Sorry, con't:

So, Celebrity is "generally" an upgraded experience from what you might have experienced thus far. While there are always exceptions, I think that folks do try to spiff up for dinner in the restaurants. Personally, my husband would be dining alone if he tried to wear shorts or sweats. Maybe in the buffet, but never in the MDR or Specialty venue. (Long pants and collared golf shirts are a comfortable compromise.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

The dress code also doesn’t say anything about showing up nude for dinner, but I don’t think ‘you could probably get away with it’ because it isn’t listed as excluded. 

Thanks for the laugh....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

I’ll leave my comments about how we men dont seem to want to leave acting like we are still little boys.  I love the old commets about ‘I had to wear a coat and tie to work and wont on vacation’, which also can be interpreted as: ‘I wear a coat/tie to work because I was paid to do that, but won’t just because wife would like me to’. 

Den

Den- Have you heard of the company called Bare Necessities?  Offering Nudist cruises?  They would probably ban sweat pants from the MDR.😁

https://cruisebare.com/

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm super curious how fashion is going to head in the next few years.  I feel like right before and during early COVID sweat pants were on their way in, similar to leggings before them.  I wonder if post COVID people are gonna be used to dressing relaxed all year and if fashion is going to go super casual, or if it's going to be like a rebound from being pent up all year and it's going to swing 180 super dressy.  I can see it either way...

Anyway, the dress code not being really formalized, I bet a lot of it depends on your body type and rest of the outfit if you can swing it without getting kicked out.  Like, model type build with designer sweatpants (they exist!) and a in-fashion outfit, is miles away from pot-bellied with ratty sweatpants with stains.

Edited by UnorigionalName
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

I'm super curious how fashion is going to head in the next few years.  I feel like right before and during early COVID sweat pants were on their way in, similar to leggings before them.  I wonder if post COVID people are gonna be used to dressing relaxed all year and if fashion is going to go super casual, or if it's going to be like a rebound from being pent up all year and it's going to swing 180 super dressy.  I can see it either way...

Anyway, the dress code not being really formalized, I bet a lot of it depends on your body type and rest of the outfit if you can swing it without getting kicked out.  Like, model type build with designer sweatpants (they exist!) and a in-fashion outfit, is miles away from pot-bellied with ratty sweatpants with stains.

You can't be serious. 🙄Thanks for the morning laugh! 🤣