Jump to content

Will she or won't she sail?


Recommended Posts

Received a letter today from SAGA today concerning our upcoming cruise on Spirit of Discovery, due to sail on 17th June 2021, which included the following statement.

 

"In the light of the ever changing situation we now find ourselves in, I wanted to offer you a little peace of mind and am pleased to advise you that if you have not already done so, you do not need to pay your balance at this time."

 

I would have thought that SAGA would be keen to have the money so that I might be persuaded to roll the booking forward to another cruise.

 

Anyone else had a similar letter?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. We’re booked on the same cruise.  Our Sept 2020 cruise was cancelled before we had paid the balance.  Saga offered us an extra 10% to move the deposit to another cruise in 2022, which we accepted.

 

We’re  still hoping to cruise this year, as we should be fully vaccinated by June!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LandC said:

It will also depend on how many ports  will accept cruise ships in June.

 

I agree , is this a round UK cruise should be OK,  international then we will have to see could be in doubt

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2021 at 4:55 PM, Windsurfboy said:

Hospitality opens May 17th , so good chance could cruise a month later.

 

Hospitality rule of six indoors, no masks mentioned

This is where it is confusing. We were sent the new brochure yesterday and it stated there would be additional conditions for Cruises in May and June. This included wearing face coverings. There was nothing mentioned for Cruises beyond June.

We're hoping to go to the Baltic in September, however if mask wearing is still compulsory then we'll leave it till next year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding from today's paper is that the authorities consider ocean cruises as being a special subsection of international travel which will be considered specifically in the review due on 12 April. The current FCO guidance will then be amended if appropriate. Given that it will take most companies 6 weeks to get ships ready to sail with passengers, it suggests that given a favourable outcome cruises could recommence from late May. So the OPs cruise in June could well be on provided that the ports of call are willing to accept them.

Edited by Denarius
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Denarius said:

My understanding from today's paper is that the authorities consider ocean cruises as being a special subsection of international travel which will be considered specifically in the review due on 12 April. The current FCO guidance will then be amended if appropriate. Given that it will take most companies 6 weeks to get ships ready to sail with passengers, it suggests that given a favourable outcome cruises could recommence from late May. So the OPs cruise in June could well be on provided that the ports of call are willing to accept them.

I think that your 6 weeks start up time is possibly a little optimistic for the majority of cruise lines with fleets and crew numbers greater than Saga, but with specific refence to Saga, I think a late June,  early July commencement date is possible. 

As you say, finding somewhere to cruise to, could be a different matter! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2021 at 10:42 AM, Windsurfboy said:

 

I agree , is this a round UK cruise should be OK,  international then we will have to see could be in doubt

Does the "round the UK" call into Dublin or Cork or even Le Harve? Some of the sailings on different lines with that package title do you know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

Does the "round the UK" call into Dublin or Cork or even Le Harve? Some of the sailings on different lines with that package title do you know.

Yes, but I think that Saga can quite easily arrange a cruise with non EU ports. 

How attractive that might be, is another matter.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...