Crystal to require vaccinations

7 minutes ago, mskatiemae said:

My state (Minnesota) is leading in the U.S. for rate of vaccination 

Is it true that this summer they'll be delivering injections by mosquito?

I'm sorry. Couldn't resist.

45 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Is it true that this summer they'll be delivering injections by mosquito?

I'm sorry. Couldn't resist.

Haha... wondering if a mosquitadilla might be on the Chez Kenz menu.... as an appetizer before the cicadadillas?

9 minutes ago, mskatiemae said:

Haha... wondering if a mosquitadilla might be on the Chez Kenz menu.... as an appetizer before the cicadadillas?

Nope.  We use those at the bar.  Cognac, creme de menthe, dehydrated mosquito as a stir straw.  IOW, the classic Stinger. 

6 hours ago, mskatiemae said:

My state (Minnesota) is leading in the U.S. for rate of vaccination and will now open eligibility to all 16 yrs and older on Tuesday next week. Also FYI there will be a charge to the insurance plan for those who have one, and my employer plan just sent a warning that if you are using an out-of-network provider to get vaccinated it may not be covered in full. So rather than all "free" or paid by government funding, I believe in this case it is more a "no direct charge" for vaccine service and is sometimes paid through insurance. 

Minnesota is doing well but in terms of the percentage of people vaccinated or fully vaccinated I don't believe they are number one.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html

Wow, that is crazy about your employer plan and makes no sense and I think is not allowed.  If I worked at your company I would speak with the person who is in charge of medical insurance and tell them that the insurance company cannot charge you the different according to the CDC.  Your company needs to push back on this.  The whole idea is to get folks vaccinated as quickly as possible meaning you go somewhere in your area or nearby where you can get scheduled and you get whatever vaccine is available in terms of company.

Please see the following information on the CDC website.  Scroll down to who is paying for this.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/faq.html

Keith

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Minnesota is doing well but in terms of the percentage of people vaccinated or fully vaccinated I don't believe they are number one.

Wow, that is crazy about your employer plan and makes no sense and I think is not allowed.  If I worked at your company I would speak with the person who is in charge of medical insurance and tell them that the insurance company cannot charge you the different according to the CDC.  Your company needs to push back on this.  The whole idea is to get folks vaccinated as quickly as possible meaning you go somewhere in your area or nearby where you can get scheduled and you get whatever vaccine is available in terms of company.

Please see the following information on the CDC website.  Scroll down to who is paying for this.

Keith

A lot of companies (including mine) do this stuff in effect by surcharging the expensive behaviors and crediting the money saving behaviors, usually through credits to insurance participants through the separate wellness program.  Our smokers pay hundreds more a year than our non-smokers (unless they quit long enough every year for it not to show up in their blood work.). The same goes for a vaccine credit, it’s technically an incentive to get the vaccine, but in effect it’s also a surcharge on not getting the vaccine.

Personally, I’m fine with it...  Our plan is self-funded so we all have a stake in driving behaviors that keep costs lower.  People remain free to do what they want at the same time.

Vince

Keith you called me out on my statistic and you are right to correct me on it. I was being a very very very bad girl and just quoted a headline that I glanced at on my social media feed. Nice catch!

Vince you are also correct, that because my employer is self-insured (or self-funded) means their health  plan is not subject to the ERISA law (which applies to fully-insured plans). I spent ten years working as an analyst in a healthcare economics policy group so do know some of these quirks of the U.S. healthcare insurance system (or debacle, it is hardly a "system"). 

This is why you both are respected and consulted members of this forum!

Florida gov Ron de Santis is banning vaccine passports there.  So how will this work for Crystal once they start sailing from Miami again?  I suppose there are other ways of proving you've been vaccinated, the CDC paper card for one.  

musketiemae...You are very kind.  Thank you.  They did show a list of cities which have the most people vaccinated and I noticed that one of the top ones is in Minnesota.  Now, let's not talk about my state.  We are towards the bottom with respect to the percentage of those fully vaccinated.  Ugh!!

bluestocking7...Not sure what you mean. Right now you just have to bring confirmation you have been fully vaccinated.  For those in the USA you simply bring your CDC vaccination card.  Of course that this point of time we are focused on Nassau.

On a related note, not sure if this is fact or fiction but what is being reported now is the Administration is looking at a Vaccine Passport.

Keith

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, bluestocking7 said:

Florida gov Ron de Santis is banning vaccine passports there.  So how will this work for Crystal once they start sailing from Miami again?  I suppose there are other ways of proving you've been vaccinated, the CDC paper card for one.  

I have to call BS on Gov. DeSantis’s “ban”.  He has no jurisdiction over what airlines or cruise lines accept for documentation for international travel, and I haven’t heard of any platforms that were ever planning on using Florida’s (or most states) internal data for their apps, so his “pledge” in this context has zero effect.

He can make people carry the paper card for certain types of local purposes, but I can’t see how that’s a winning proposition in the long term either.  If people start using the electronic version for most things, who is going to want to carry the paper version for local things?  The same people that carry numerous credit cards in their wallet but still write a paper check at the grocery store?

Vince

Edited by BWIVince
4 hours ago, BWIVince said:

I have to call BS on Gov. DeSantis’s “ban”.  He has no jurisdiction over what airlines or cruise lines accept for documentation for international travel, and I haven’t heard of any platforms that were ever planning on using Florida’s (or most states) internal data for their apps, so his “pledge” in this context has zero effect.

He can make people carry the paper card for certain types of local purposes, but I can’t see how that’s a winning proposition in the long term either.  If people start using the electronic version for most things, who is going to want to carry the paper version for local things?  The same people that carry numerous credit cards in their wallet but still write a paper check at the grocery store?

Vince

Trying to NOT get political here, but IF Fed govt will be requiring vaccination passports for certain activities, the ban being discussed in FL will not be enforceable for such activities.  What he can do though is try to stop the Dept of Health from giving vaccine information to the Feds, but then FL residents cannot get the passports.  Whether he would, of course, is an open question.  

18 minutes ago, gwesq said:

Trying to NOT get political here, but IF Fed govt will be requiring vaccination passports for certain activities, the ban being discussed in FL will not be enforceable for such activities.  What he can do though is try to stop the Dept of Health from giving vaccine information to the Feds, but then FL residents cannot get the passports.  Whether he would, of course, is an open question.  

Totally agree!  I was just referring to the current scenario -- I know there is some interest in a federal vaccination passport but I didn't open that scenario because I'm not sure there's enough will to fight those battles.  We'll see though...

Vince

44 minutes ago, gwesq said:

I think New York did something similar when I remember there was a dispute between the Fed Government and New York.  I think the Federal Government wanted certain information about all New York residents and New York said no and the Feds said then we won't allow you to get Global Entry or something like that.  

And like some things this is why we have a judicial system.

We know states sue the Federal Government from time to time and the Federal Government sues the sates and then the courts rule.

I think maybe Florida should just form its own country.  That way when they have their next Hurricane they can go it alone since you can't have it both way IMHO.  Either be part of the team or maybe get off the team.

Keith

11 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I think maybe Florida should just form its own country.  That way when they have their next Hurricane they can go it alone since you can't have it both way IMHO.  Either be part of the team or maybe get off the team.

Keith

Living in FL now full-time, I agree with you. Amazing how they change their tune when a hurricane hits. 

I have followed up with Crystal Cruises about crew vaccinations and the feedback I have received is consistent to what they have previously published on the website which I have previously posted.

While the majority of crew members will obtain vaccines before leaving home country to return to the ship various countries have not secured enough vaccines for their own population so it won't be possible for Crystal to guarantee a fully vaccinated crew.  Crystal is prepared to purchase vaccine for the crew as soon as it is available for purchase.  

Keith

On 3/26/2021 at 2:15 AM, Keith1010 said:

Keith

Keith again you are 100% correct on this. I went back and reread the info on vaccination benefits and it actually had indicated that although coronavirus vaccination benefits would be equal (i.e. fully covered) at out of network providers, that we should be aware to not expect such generosity for other vaccinations! Wow I am truly getting lost in all the details...glad you called me on this one since it is very urgent to get most people vaccinated soon.

just received the message from my TA , that SS is also requiring full vaccination 14 days prior to sailing , what will be extremely narrow for me if the vaccination i will receive within 14 days  is AstraZ   ( you do not have the choice in Europe ) 

Otherwise it is just another cancellation in the series ...