Crystal to require vaccinations

1 hour ago, LewiLewi said:

We just made a reservation for a Bahamas cruise in July on the Serenity. The agent informed me that our vaccination was recorded in a data base that Crystal has access to, no need to bring our CDC cards on board. We will also need a preboarding Covid test 48 hours before we board, and testing will be done again on the ship.

When questioned about the crews’ vaccinations, we were told that that is uncertain at this time. It is a possibility that not all crew will be vaccinated by the time Crystal starts operating again.

I know this is what you were told but probably best to see what comes to you in writing.

My understanding is you first take a COVID-19 test at home before you fly to the Bahamas because you will not be allowed to enter the Bahamas without the test.  Looks like test must by taken no earlier than five days prior to arrival.  

https://www.bahamas.com/tourism-reopening

Of course the process used by the Bahamas could change at any point just as other areas of the world have changed their protocols.

Crystal will then test all guests at the terminal in Nassau.

As to the vaccination that is good to know but again I would wait for this in writing to be sure they have access to your vaccination.  To play it safe I would bring your card anyway.  Even for electronic visas I always bring hard copies of confirmation number etc to play it safe.

Keith

Posted (edited)

The new announcement today from RCCL and Celebrity Cruise Line that they are also starting cruising from Nassau and St. Maartin in June 2021 say that both passengers over age17 and crew will be vaccinated.  I wonder if they can acquire crew vaccination then probably Crystal could also? 

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
fixed
4 hours ago, oakridger said:

The new announcement today from RCCL and Celebrity Cruise Line that they are also starting cruising from Nassau and St. Maartin in June 2021 say that both passengers over age17 and crew will be vaccinated.  I wonder if they can acquire crew vaccination then probably Crystal could also? 

~Nancy

Exactly...  Corporate vaccination programs are now beginning for US companies, especially in travel and transportation.  Vanter already vaccinates Crystal’s crew for influenza because of the availability and timing of the vaccines, and that remains one of several options for Crystal as the vaccines become increasingly available to corporate health vendors like Vanter.

Vince

20 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I know this is what you were told but probably best to see what comes to you in writing.

My understanding is you first take a COVID-19 test at home before you fly to the Bahamas because you will not be allowed to enter the Bahamas without the test.  Looks like test must by taken no earlier than five days prior to arrival.  

https://www.bahamas.com/tourism-reopening

Of course the process used by the Bahamas could change at any point just as other areas of the world have changed their protocols.

Crystal will then test all guests at the terminal in Nassau.

As to the vaccination that is good to know but again I would wait for this in writing to be sure they have access to your vaccination.  To play it safe I would bring your card anyway.  Even for electronic visas I always bring hard copies of confirmation number etc to play it safe.

Keith

As my TA suggests:

Do not leave your card home!!!!

Take a photo of it and put it on your phone

Make 2 copies of it (as you might with your passport)

Laminate it.  Staples is my area is laminating the cards at no charge.  Other places might be doing the same. (we happen to own a laminator from our working days -- never thought we'd use again)

23 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

We just made a reservation for a Bahamas cruise in July on the Serenity. The agent informed me that our vaccination was recorded in a data base that Crystal has access to, no need to bring our CDC cards on board. We will also need a preboarding Covid test 48 hours before we board, and testing will be done again on the ship.

When questioned about the crews’ vaccinations, we were told that that is uncertain at this time. It is a possibility that not all crew will be vaccinated by the time Crystal starts operating again.

I do want to close the loop on this.

I have confirmed there is no data base (I knew there couldn't be) that Crystal would have access to ermine if a guest had received Covid-19 vaccination(s).

You need to bring your card showing you got the vaccinations.  As Bitob mentioned in an earlier post I would have copies of it just in case.  We also have a soft copy on my iPhone and on my computer, but for sure bring your card.

Keep checking the Crystal website for information related to the Covid-19 test.  As it stands now you need to have one before arriving to Nassau and Crystal will do a test at the pier.  So no test prior to that for Crystal.  They will defer to what Nassau or Bimini require.

Keith

4 hours ago, bitob said:

Laminate it.  Staples is my area is laminating the cards at no charge.  Other places might be doing the same. (we happen to own a laminator from our working days -- never thought we'd use again)

I go mine laminated as well (also free at Staples) then was told that it's actually recommended that you NOT get it laminated in case additional boosters need to be added. But I suspect we will have an electronic version before that happens. Better than sitting folded in half in my wallet.

Posted (edited)

By the time we get boosters it could be a crumbled unreadable mess.

Or the whole thing could be digital

I will worry about that later.

Edited by bitob

Life won’t come to an end but really no need to laminate your card. If it gets worn no worries.  Like I said earlier we never laminated a yellow fever card. Or social security card or Medicare card.

I am only mentioning it for those those who haven’t laminated theirs.  We just put it in a plastic inset. 

again no worries.  Be happy. 

keith

Reverting to the title of this thread, it is important to note the change in policy by Crystal regarding vaccination requirements. I believe they will now be flexible, bearing in mind the requirements of the countries involved ion the sailing. Hope I am interpreting things accurately.

11 minutes ago, kool kruiser said:

Reverting to the title of this thread, it is important to note the change in policy by Crystal regarding vaccination requirements. I believe they will now be flexible, bearing in mind the requirements of the countries involved ion the sailing.

What change are you referring to?

My understanding is that nothing has changed and Crystal require all passengers on these voyagers to be vaccinated and show proof of that - are you suggesting that’s changed? Staff are not required to be vaccinated at this stage but will be tested regularly 

34 minutes ago, kool kruiser said:

Reverting to the title of this thread, it is important to note the change in policy by Crystal regarding vaccination requirements. I believe they will now be flexible, bearing in mind the requirements of the countries involved ion the sailing. Hope I am interpreting things accurately.

I hope not

I would not get on the ship if vaccinations are not a requirement for all passengers

FWIW, Crystal’s website still says they require vaccines and cannot accommodate any passengers not fully inoculated. In 4.1 they added verbiage about also needing to meet vaccination requirements in countries you may be entering (when applicable), but that doesn’t loosen Crystal’s requirement unless they still haven’t updated the website...  (...Which we all know is the ultimate caveat.  🙄)

Vince

9 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

FWIW, Crystal’s website still says they require vaccines and cannot accommodate any passengers not fully inoculated. In 4.1 they added verbiage about also needing to meet vaccination requirements in countries you may be entering (when applicable), but that doesn’t loosen Crystal’s requirement unless they still haven’t updated the website...  (...Which we all know is the ultimate caveat.  🙄)

Vince

I cannot imagine they are going to change the policy after being the first cruise line to announce the requirement (to much fanfare).  I have a feeling they would be flooded with cancellations if they did so.  I have an enormous group of cruise friends all over the country (as I imagine many of you do as well).  No one I know will get on a ship if vaccination for all passengers is not mandatory.

2 hours ago, kool kruiser said:

As others said every guest must be fully vaccinated and have had their final dosage 14 days prior to boarding.  No exceptions.  Jack Anderson spoke about this when they rolled out the new itineraries.  

From the Crystal website under vaccinations.

• What will be accepted as proof of vaccination? When will I need to show proof of my vaccine and my negative COVID-19 test?  

All guests will be required to be fully inoculated with a COVID-19 vaccine (both doses if recommended by manufacturer) at least 14 days prior to boarding any Crystal ship. Verified documentation of vaccination and negative COVID-19 test will be required at the time of boarding and failure to provide this documentation will result in denial of boarding. All documentation provided will need to be in English. Guests will be required to sign a form acknowledging these requirements before cruise tickets will be issued. 

I do not see this changing at least for the foreseeable future.

Keith

1 hour ago, bitob said:

I cannot imagine they are going to change the policy after being the first cruise line to announce the requirement (to much fanfare).  I have a feeling they would be flooded with cancellations if they did so.  I have an enormous group of cruise friends all over the country (as I imagine many of you do as well).  No one I know will get on a ship if vaccination for all passengers is not mandatory.

You do realize that it possible that some of the crew will not be vaccinated when you cruise so my question is what is the difference if some of the crew vs some of the passengers are not vaccinated will you cancel if you and all of your friends know that some of the crew is not vaccinated???

I think it would be a great challenge to have all crew members properly vaccinated, unless we end up with a very generous supply of vaccines by May/June of this year, and that the cost of each vaccination fits Crystal's business model for the Bahamas cruises.

I don't know exactly what Crystal is planning to do with this challenge, but I think the issue in regard to the risk of a mini-outbreak occurring onboard is very much dependent on how many crew will not be vaccinated, and how is Crystal going to monitor the entire crew population (not just the unvaccinated crew), where are they going to be working on the ship, and for that matter how they are going to house them on the ship.

But as long as the entire passenger population is properly vaccinated, I think the risk of any of the passengers getting sick from this virus is low, but that also depends on the immunocompetence of each passenger.  It is very likely that some of the passengers, even after being vaccinated properly, would not be able to fend the virus off.  Another concern is what would happen if one of the crew members/passengers board the ship with a mutant virus (the South African one, the Brazillian one, or something unidentified) that the current vaccines can only provide limited protection to.  I think the risk of another Diamond Princess type scenario would be less likely (not impossible, but less likely....we just don't know how much less that would be.) since the current vaccines are at least proving to have some protection against all known mutants.

So, I would think that every passenger would need, perhaps with a help from his/her healthcare provider, to estimate his/her individualized risk of these Bahamas cruise and decide if it is acceptable or not.  Obviously, it is extremely difficult and nearly impossible to be completely objective in making this assessment, but what I suggest is to separate the desire to travel/cruise again from the actual risk of doing so.  Also do not forget to assess the risk of everything else we have to do to get to the cruise ship, including time in the airport and flying in the plane, etc.  I don't think there is one generic answer to every person, but I think it makes a lot of sense for each of us to make this kind of assessment for the next few months/years until we have a much better handle on this outbreak, which, I remind you, is far from over.

I'm not saying that the sky is falling, or that we have been defeated by the virus.  I am just listing a few things that the scientific community have thought about regarding infectious diseases caused by highly contagious and genetically unstable viruses.

I for one would not be comfortable getting on a cruise where only the passengers are vaccinated and not the crew. Defeats the purpose in my opinion, especially given the fact most crew come from countries with extremely high Covid cases. Are the crew strictly quarantined for 14 days pre boarding? Are they allowed off the ship in any ports? 

2 hours ago, ClefsDor said:

I for one would not be comfortable getting on a cruise where only the passengers are vaccinated and not the crew. Defeats the purpose in my opinion, especially given the fact most crew come from countries with extremely high Covid cases. Are the crew strictly quarantined for 14 days pre boarding? Are they allowed off the ship in any ports? 

If all passengers are fully vaccinated they would have a very low risk of symptomatic disease, and also a very low risk of transmitting to others.  So there would be little likelihood of having to isolate a passenger or repatriate, and a low risk of a passenger needing an insurance claim for treatment or repatriation - on the other hand I guess isolating a crew member might be easier and I am guessing that the company has already put in place areas on the ship where crew members could be quarantined on board - and presume all contacts among the crew would be tested in the event one tests positive. I would also guess that there would be arrangements to take any positive crew member ashore to a local hospital if needed since there will presumably not be long sectors a long way from any land. But in the fullness of time when vaccines are available beyond the nations from which most cruise passengers come, then once supplies can reach the cruise lines I bet that crew will be vaccinated too.

Celebrity and RCCL state that all their crew will be vaccinated for the Bahamas/St. Maartin cruises starting in June.  If they can do that then I would think Crystal could also.

~Nancy

It makes no sense at all to not vaccinate crew. If even people with natural or acquired immunity cannot sail without being vaccinated, why on earth would crew not be subject to the same requirement?

11 hours ago, bitob said:

I hope not

I would not get on the ship if vaccinations are not a requirement for all passengers

Neither will I.

6 hours ago, suzeluvscruz said:

It makes no sense at all to not vaccinate crew. If even people with natural or acquired immunity cannot sail without being vaccinated, why on earth would crew not be subject to the same requirement?

I’m pretty sure they will, especially now that corporate vaccination programs are underway in the travel industry.  I think the policy is worded the way it is to cover contingencies, like if Crystal’s medical vendor ends up being the one vaccinating the crew members that didn’t otherwise have access to the vaccine.

Vince

Three months is enough time to get the crew vaccinated as long as vaccine is available.   More and more vaccine is becoming available.

As I have posted before, I am not going to worry.  I am going to be upbeat and look forward to a glorious 2 weeks on Crystal