Jump to content

Hawaiian Cruises


larry_s_taco
 Share

Recommended Posts

I know there is a lot of discussion about cancelation of Alaskan cruises this year, but has anyone heard anything about Hawaiian cruises from the west coast?

If they are only allowing 7 day cruises, I suppose that will rule out any Hawaiian cruises from the west coast as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes because that’s not enough time for a round-trip voyage to to Hawaii and back to the West Coast.
 

 To make ia one-way cruise the PVsA requires that the ship visit a distant foreign port, and there isn’t any district foreign port in that area for it to visit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first cruises X shows to or from Hawaii are in 2022 for new bookings. I don't know what's going on with any existing bookings.

 

All of the same issues with Alaska cruises apply to Hawaii cruises. The two in 2022 (one each way) either begin in Vancouver or end there. That avoids all the "coastwise transportation" issues, and the immigration and visa issues. And is probably more interesting to most than ending in Mexico just south of San Diego (and busing across the border...).

 

And as Alakegirl just posted, you'd need a longer cruise time for a round trip, which would still need a foreign stop under the PVSA and to deal with the immigration issues (unless they hired a US crew...).

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

Yes because that’s not enough time for a round-trip voyage to to Hawaii and back to the West Coast.
 

 To make ia one-way cruise the PVsA requires that the ship visit a distant foreign port, and there isn’t any district foreign port in that area for it to visit.

They could technically do what Celebrity did a few years ago  Ensenada to/from Honolulu one way trips.  It did mean a bus ride between San Diego and Ensenada. The route did not last long.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

But i am sure that took more than 7 days, didn’t it Jelayne?

Yes, it is a 15 day  trip.  We've done it a couple of times back then.  Loved it.  I keep lobbying Celebrity to bring this itinerary back, it appeared to be always sold out, but no luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As the OP surmised, if there is a 7-day limitation on the length of the cruise, and Canada is out of the picture, cruising to Hawaii is all but impossible.  The only possibility would be to start in Ensenada and end in Hawaii (or the reverse.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, jelayne said:

In 2019 we did a Hawaii r/t on Celebrity.  Cruise departed from LA and returned to San Diego with a port stop in Ensenada. So the dreaded bus ride wasn’t involved.

Technically you could not have boarded in LA to Hawaii and disembark in  San Diego.  That would violate PVSA. Something is missing here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, nocl said:

Technically you could not have boarded in LA to Hawaii and disembark in  San Diego.  That would violate PVSA. Something is missing here.

They said they stopped in Mexico

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But Mexico is not the distant foreign port that itinerary would require.

 

Mexico works for round trips in and out of the same US port, but not for an open-jaw trip from one US port to a different US port.

Edited by cruisestitch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

They said they stopped in Mexico

Under the PVSA, a cruise that starts in one US city and finishes at a different US city must stop at a distant foreign port. Ensenada doesn't qualify. A return cruise from/to the same US port is permitted with a visit to any foreign port.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Under the PVSA, a cruise that starts in one US city and finishes at a different US city must stop at a distant foreign port. Ensenada doesn't qualify. A return cruise from/to the same US port is permitted with a visit to any foreign port.

OK got it...thx

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

They said they stopped in Mexico

Doesn't matter it is not a far port.  They could leave and return to LA with a stop in Mexico but not leave from LA and return to SD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In thinking about it we did a B2B and started  1st leg in LA to Hawaii r/t last day was a stop in Ensenada and  I think we may have ended in LA.  2nd leg was from LA up the Pacific coast to San Francisco and again the last stop was Ensenada  before ending in San Diego. We did not to into Canada on the 2nd leg.  
 

Sorry for the confusion.  4 days of constant Power outages, no water (substituting wine)  and frigid temps seemed to have addled my memory.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, jelayne said:

In thinking about it we did a B2B and started  1st leg in LA to Hawaii r/t last day was a stop in Ensenada and  I think we may have ended in LA.  2nd leg was from LA up the Pacific coast to San Francisco and again the last stop was Ensenada  before ending in San Diego. We did not to into Canada on the 2nd leg.  
 

Sorry for the confusion.  4 days of constant Power outages, no water (substituting wine)  and frigid temps seemed to have addled my memory.

I know this isn't about Hawaii, Jelayne but we have been wondering how you were making out in Texas.  The news is awful.  Take care and be safe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, jelayne said:

In thinking about it we did a B2B and started  1st leg in LA to Hawaii r/t last day was a stop in Ensenada and  I think we may have ended in LA.  2nd leg was from LA up the Pacific coast to San Francisco and again the last stop was Ensenada  before ending in San Diego. We did not to into Canada on the 2nd leg.  
 

Sorry for the confusion.  4 days of constant Power outages, no water (substituting wine)  and frigid temps seemed to have addled my memory.

That still would not work because it would still have you going from LA to San Diego.  Again something is missing. The second leg would not even have been a legal cruise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TeaBag said:

I know this isn't about Hawaii, Jelayne but we have been wondering how you were making out in Texas.  The news is awful.  Take care and be safe.

Thanks!  It’s been crazy.  We live on a lake that people were fishing on 1 week ago and now it is frozen. Weather should warm up tomorrow, in our area power is becoming more consistent and hopefully with warmer temps pipes to supply water to the tanks will thaw (and not break).  As water is being restored the state is under a boil water order - that should add a new wrinkle to live. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, nocl said:

That still would not work because it would still have you going from LA to San Diego.  Again something is missing. The second leg would not even have been a legal cruise.

Ok

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, nocl said:

That still would not work because it would still have you going from LA to San Diego.  Again something is missing. The second leg would not even have been a legal cruise.

Yes that has already been pointed out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, stefndoug said:

Hawaii cruises used to go to Fanning Island to meet the foreign port rule...wonder what happened to that.

Some cruises that went on from Hawaii to the South Pacific might have visited Fanning Island, which lies about 1,000 miles to the South of Hawaii, but I wasn't aware of US-Hawaii or Hawaii-US cruises visiting Fanning Island to meet the requirements of the PVSA. That would add a huge amount of time to a cruise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I must be missing something. If the PVSA waiver attempt fails and the May Alaska cruises on the Millennium are cancelled, why couldn't the Millennium instead do a 7 day cruise from LA to Ensenada to Hawaii and then a follow-on 7 day from Hawaii to Ensenada to San Diego? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I must be missing something. If the PVSA waiver attempt fails and the May Alaska cruises on the Millennium are cancelled, why couldn't the Millennium instead do a 7 day cruise from LA to Ensenada to Hawaii and then a follow-on 7 day from Hawaii to Ensenada to San Diego? 


Transporting passengers between two US ports without a distant foreign stop. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...