Hawaiian Cruises

larry_s_taco

Ken, Ensenada is not a distant Foreign port as defined in the PVSA.

It is a foreign port to be sure. So a cruise ship could go from LA to LA with a stop in Ensenada. That’s OK as a round-trip, which only needs ANY foreign port.

But to make a trip from one US port to another, like from LA to Hawaii, you need a DISTANT foreign port, not just any foreign port.  Ensenada does not qualify.

2 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Ken, Ensenada is not a distant Foreign port as defined in the PVSA.

It is a foreign port to be sure. So a cruise ship could go from LA to LA with a stop in Ensenada. That’s OK as a round-trip, which only needs ANY foreign port.

But to make a trip from one US port to another, like from LA to Hawaii, you need a DISTANT foreign port, not just any foreign port.  Ensenada does not qualify.

Ahhh! I knew I was missing something. Thanks!

36 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I must be missing something. If the PVSA waiver attempt fails and the May Alaska cruises on the Millennium are cancelled, why couldn't the Millennium instead do a 7 day cruise from LA to Ensenada to Hawaii and then a follow-on 7 day from Hawaii to Ensenada to San Diego? 

See post #12.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Some cruises that went on from Hawaii to the South Pacific might have visited Fanning Island, which lies about 1,000 miles to the South of Hawaii, but I wasn't aware of US-Hawaii or Hawaii-US cruises visiting Fanning Island to meet the requirements of the PVSA. That would add a huge amount of time to a cruise.

They used to do 10 night cruises out of Honolulu (round trip) and the 1 stop was Fanning Island as the foreign stop.  

3 minutes ago, stefndoug said:

They used to do 10 night cruises out of Honolulu (round trip) and the 1 stop was Fanning Island as the foreign stop.  

Was that with a stop in another US port?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

Was that with a stop in another US port?

yuppers...did Maui, and Big Island for sure.  It was round trip Honolulu.  Trying to remember which cruiselines did it.  For sure NCL (before they had their 3 flagged US ships...down to only 1 now), and I think Princess too.

7 minutes ago, stefndoug said:

yuppers...did Maui, and Big Island for sure.  It was round trip Honolulu.  Trying to remember which cruiselines did it.  For sure NCL (before they had their 3 flagged US ships...down to only 1 now), and I think Princess too.

Thanks for the interesting flashback. Definitely before our time as cruisers.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jelayne said:

In thinking about it we did a B2B and started  1st leg in LA to Hawaii r/t last day was a stop in Ensenada and  I think we may have ended in LA.  2nd leg was from LA up the Pacific coast to San Francisco and again the last stop was Ensenada  before ending in San Diego. We did not to into Canada on the 2nd leg.  

Sorry for the confusion.  4 days of constant Power outages, no water (substituting wine)  and frigid temps seemed to have addled my memory.

OMG...so sorry for your circumstance.  Even wine probably doesn't make it any better.  Prayers and all are with you...hope for 'warmth and water' soon.

2 hours ago, stefndoug said:

Hawaii cruises used to go to Fanning Island to meet the foreign port rule...wonder what happened to that.

We did that cruise on NCL Wind Nov. 2002.......11 days, Honolulu, Kona Hawaii, Fanning Island (Kiribati), Hilo, Maui, Kauai, Honolulu.  What a great trip.  Long way to go for the 'foreign' port, but definitely worth it.  Thanks for bringing back the memories....That itinerary would be doable now with these restrictions.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

We did that cruise on NCL Wind Nov. 2002.......11 days, Honolulu, Kona Hawaii, Fanning Island (Kiribati), Hilo, Maui, Kauai, Honolulu.  What a great trip.  Long way to go for the 'foreign' port, but definitely worth it.  Thanks for bringing back the memories....That itinerary would be doable now with these restrictions.

Those seemed to go away with the 15 day loop cruises from the mainland really became common.

The NCL sailings that included Fanning island were a real treat.  Visited Maui, Hawai'i, Oahu and Kauai and then the trek to Fanning Island.  Stopping there was like going back in time to Hawai'i in the 1800s.  Friendly people, beautiful scenery.  NCL had bikes you could use to pedal your way around the island (it was not that big).  One of our best trips. People whined about the time spent getting to Fanning, but it was the only way you could do a Hawai'i centric cruise and still be PVSA compliant. 

Now the only lines that stop there, very infrequently on Pacific crossings, are HAL and Seabourn.  

• Like 2

We sailed the NCL Wind March 2006 for a delayed honeymoon...

Johnny's first cruise & we loved it!

Our cruise was 10 days:  Honolulu, Hilo, Republic of Kiribati - Fanning Island, Kauai, Maui, Kona, Honolulu...

We enjoyed the ports & the sea days - we would definitely do this trip again, if they were ever to offer it!
We added a 4-Week stay on Molokai - what a relaxing & enjoyable time we had there...

34 minutes ago, Von & John said:

We added a 4-Week stay on Molokai - what a relaxing & enjoyable time we had there...

We lived on Molokai in a camp in a pineapple field for 3 months back in the mid-60's (Peace Corps training).  It was old Hawaii back then.  We did meet the Cockeyed Mayor of Kaunakakai.  We hiked down the cliff to the Kalaupapa leper colony when lepers were still living there.  We went wild boar hunting on the East End and we had to prepare and eat our kill.  We were introduced to Saimin Soup at the Foster's Freeze and watched Elvis in Blue Hawaii at the outdoor theater in K-town.  The movie featured many of our language instructors from the Polynesian Cultural Center.  Those were the days!

• Like 2