If NCL makes vaccinations, mandatory, I will be cancelling my December cruise on the Joy. I won't sail away alone. My sister ended up in ICU the last time she had a vaccine. Her doctor decided that avoiding them in the future was a good idea. My sister had no allergy history and has no problem taking covid tests. Only test negative people will be aboard, and running excursions.The vaccinated should be immune to infection, so where's the problem? .

28 minutes ago, hallux said:

@warburg we get your point.  One post might have been enough...

No rule is going to cover 100% of the people 100% of the time.  Some won't cruise, for a variety of reasons.  But, the requirements aren't going to change.

1 hour ago, warburg said:

If NCL makes vaccinations, mandatory, I will be cancelling my December cruise on the Joy. I won't sail away alone. My sister ended up in ICU the last time she had a vaccine. Her doctor decided that avoiding them in the future was a good idea. My sister had no allergy history and has no problem taking covid tests. Only test negative people will be aboard, and running excursions.The vaccinated should be immune to infection, so where's the problem? .

The problem is that if there are 4000 people on board of which 250 are not vaccinated then one infected person can spread it to minimum 250 people. And they have no protection against it.

And even if you only allow negative tested persons on board. Each and every test is only a snapshot  .You can get infected and a few hours later test is still negative.No matter if PCR or the quick tests during embarkation. So there is still a risk that someone brings the virus on board. And then each unvaccinated person get become a medical emergency.

Yes, of course one can say "it is their own risk". But if 50 ,100 or 150 people get infected then the whole ship will be under quarantine for 14 days and then all 4000 people get involved.

I can understand everybody who does not want to get vaccinated but i can understand the cruise lines that they will allow only vaccinated passengers on board. But anyway it will take some time until there will be a mandatory vaccination on cruises. They can only implement it once the majority of the population has been vaccinated. Also till today there is no vaccination that was tested for children as well. So currently(at least in Europe) no kid is getting any vaccine.

So it will take still several months until there are enough potential customers that have been vaccinated.

3 hours ago, fabnsab said:

It’ll suck if they don’t let kids cruise since it’s my daughters last year of being a “kid” and won’t be able to take advantage of the “kids cruise free” deals anymore. 

Mind you, there are worse things in life. 

On NCL, the "kids cruise free" isn't really kids.  It's guests #3 and #4.  There is no age limit to who can be guest #3 or 4 on NCL - I'm 36, and am guest #3 (for free) on a cruise in Feb 2022.  

That's not to say NCL won't discontinue or change the "kids cruise free" perk at some point in the future....

Royal and Celebrity just announced sailing starting in June out of Bahamas and St Maarten. Over 18 must be vaccinated to sail. Under 18 must have negative PCR test within 72 hours....

Will NCL follow suit?

18 hours ago, sugcarol said:

And i thought my husband was a non-compliant patient, you beat him by a mile.

Actually, I've been complimented on my following instructions.   I was pointing out how much I was cutting back to adhere to the guidance.

6 hours ago, fabnsab said:

It’ll suck if they don’t let kids cruise since it’s my daughters last year of being a “kid” and won’t be able to take advantage of the “kids cruise free” deals anymore. 

Mind you, there are worse things in life. 

These cruise lines are hemorrhaging and your hoping for kids to cruise for free? I honestly don't think there are going to be any such deals for quite a while after these companies try to recover. All my opinion, of course.

On 3/18/2021 at 11:08 AM, JamieLogical said:

Can you point me to a scientific/medical source that says the vaccine only protects people for 90 days? The only reference I could find to 90 days and durability was a limited study that said they had monitored antibody levels in vaccinated people for 90 days after there second shot and while there was some expected decay, the vaccines offered protection AT LEAST that long. Other projections I have seen say the expectation is durability of 18 months to 3 years.

Here's an article talking about he 90 day study:

https://www.biospace.com/article/study-suggests-moderna-covid-19-vaccine-has-at-least-3-months-good-durability/

Again, this was only a 90 day study. All it proves is that immunity lasts at least 90 days. Not that it ONLY lasts 90 days.

Could be this... could be that, etc. etc.  Let's vaccinate the whole world with products that there are more unknowns than knowns. Unfortunately, Big Pharma is not synonymous with honesty and integrity.

So why are all these people who vow they aren’t going to cruise if there are any requirements they don’t like STILL posting over, and over, and over on a cruise board???

On 3/19/2021 at 10:43 AM, warburg said:

Fourth time is the charm when posting. 😀

On 3/23/2021 at 7:47 AM, CILCIANRQTS said:

So why are all these people who vow they aren’t going to cruise if there are any requirements they don’t like STILL posting over, and over, and over on a cruise board???

I"m still wondering that, along with the people who say the cruising industry will go bankrupt, cruising will never return to the USA, etc. Same question for them: why are you here? 🤷‍♂️

On 3/23/2021 at 6:47 AM, CILCIANRQTS said:

Because it's a good idea to continue to make the point that masking and social distancing are impediments for some to resume cruising.  Do you have an issue with those who continue to insist that masking and social distance are acceptable?

Posted (edited)

Woohoo...... One and done. Got the J&J this morning at 6am. Shout out to Philadelphia FDP Engine #73

Edited by Laszlo
55 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Because it's a good idea to continue to make the point that masking and social distancing are impediments for some to resume cruising.  Do you have an issue with those who continue to insist that masking and social distance are acceptable?

I just long for the day when we can get back to topics that help make cruising more enjoyable for all of us...

We both know that pure repetition does not make anyone’s case stronger.

4 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Woohoo...... One and done. Got the J&J this morning at 6am. Shout out to Philadelphia FDP Engine #73

Right there with you Bro! 2nd Pfizer last week and it really is a great feeling! Good on you Laszlo. Very mild side effects after the 2nd...just felt quite tired on day 2 and a bit of soreness in the arm..but other than that..good to go!

On 3/23/2021 at 7:47 AM, CILCIANRQTS said:

7 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I"m still wondering that, along with the people who say the cruising industry will go bankrupt, cruising will never return to the USA, etc. Same question for them: why are you here? 🤷‍♂️

I'll take a stab at answering this...... I can see both sides here. First, there is not yet an 'industry standard' for whether or not vaccines will be required. For example; MSC is sailing and is not requiring vaccine. So, for those who don't want to vaccinate, there may still be options (obviously nothing from the USA yet, but that doesn't mean options don't exist). Perhaps those very same people are of the mind set that NCL will adopt a similar policy considering MSC has successfully sailed without requiring a vaccine?

On another heated subject: Some here are adamant that they won't sail with masks, but has that decision been finalized yet? If vaccines do work like we are being told, doesn't it make sense that masks will eventually go away? Aren't those who don't want to wear masks allowed to continue to keep this issue in forefront?

From a personal perspective, I have said since last April that cruise lines will very likely end up restructuring (Bankruptsy, merger, acquisition, etc..).  The writing is painfully obvious. I stand behind that. This doesn't mean I enjoy cruising any less than you do or that I shouldn't continue to participate, gather information, and share my belief in the hopes of helping other cruisers. PS: I have never read anyone state they do not believe cruising will ever return to the USA, but if someone actually did state this, isn't their opinion valid ?

My point is that this forum is an avenue for everyone to express their opinions on cruising, whether they agree with yours or not.  Shunning people who don't agree with your belief (by questioning why they are still here), seems a bit short sighted and childish. It's like an elementary kid saying "I don't like you so you can no longer play in this public park".

As much as I disagree with much of what is posted here, I support everyone's right to be here participating.

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

MSC is sailing and is not requiring vaccine. So, for those who don't want to vaccinate, there may still be options (obviously nothing from the USA yet, but that doesn't mean options don't exist).

MSC has cruises available in June out of Miami and Port Canaveral. We are booked for June 20, 2021. We are fully vaccinated but so far that has not been a requirement. 

9 minutes ago, Envelope21 said:

MSC has cruises available in June out of Miami and Port Canaveral. We are booked for June 20, 2021. We are fully vaccinated but so far that has not been a requirement. 

With the way the CDC has been behaving, you'll be getting a refund on that cruise.

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

My point is that this forum is an avenue for everyone to express their opinions on cruising, whether they agree with yours or not.  Shunning people who don't agree with your belief (by questioning why they are still here), seems a bit short sighted and childish. It's like an elementary kid saying "I don't like you so you can no longer play in this public park".

I think you are missing the point. Nobody is being prevented from giving an opinion, but we must question the genuineness of the chronic negative nancy naysaying. It smells like they don't really have faith in their stated opinion, so constantly belabor it here hoping there will others agreeing so they can rationalize their negativity by votes if not by logic.

There has got to be some pragmatic component of spouting off here. I could endlessly warn that navigation can be jeopardized due to increased shifting of the magnetic north location (true), but if I am not a participating passenger it makes no sense for me to pontificate on this more than a couple times to people here who have accepted this and want to move on.

1 minute ago, dumbth said:

I think you are missing the point. Nobody is being prevented from giving an opinion, but we must question the genuineness of the chronic negative nancy naysaying. It smells like they don't really have faith in their stated opinion, so constantly belabor it here hoping there will others agreeing so they can rationalize their negativity by votes if not by logic.

There has got to be some pragmatic component of spouting off here. I could endlessly warn that navigation can be jeopardized due to increased shifting of the magnetic north location (true), but if I am not a participating passenger it makes no sense for me to pontificate on this more than a couple times to people here who have accepted this and want to move on.

Perhaps I'm missing the point so please help me to understand. What exactly have people accepted and want to move on from? It's a serious question. Have people accepted that vaccines will be required to sail and therefore want no more discussion on the topic (because I'm unaware that this decision has been finalized)? Same with mask wearing, the jury is still out. How about this one; people have accepted they are sailing in June from Miami and want only positive replies now?

Seems to me that nothing has been finalized and the entire situation is extremely fluid with new information coming in daily, so in this dynamic climate, I'm not sure what we are supposed to be moving on from??

16 hours ago, Red-Sol said:

Right there with you Bro! 2nd Pfizer last week and it really is a great feeling! Good on you Laszlo. Very mild side effects after the 2nd...just felt quite tired on day 2 and a bit of soreness in the arm..but other than that..good to go!

I've got to say that was a 12 hour ass kicking. I guess the J&J does have side effects Lol. I got the shot around 6am yesterday. By 3pm I felt a little crappy. By 7pm I was in bed, felt like I was beaten with a bat until 5am this morning when I started feeling better.

It was like the shingles vaccine effects all over again. Wouldn't change my mind, I would still get it in a heartbeat

5 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

I've got to say that was a 12 hour ass kicking. I guess the J&J does have side effects Lol. I got the shot around 6am yesterday. By 3pm I felt a little crappy. By 7pm I was in bed, felt like I was beaten with a bat until 5am this morning when I started feeling better.

It was like the shingles vaccine effects all over again. Wouldn't change my mind, I would still get it in a heartbeat

Exactly! Some folks have reported some discomfort after any of the vaccinations...but small price to pay IMHO. Being intubated on a ventilator I'm sure would be way more uncomfortable! Right now new cases are spreading the most for people under 50...so hopefully soon many of them will be able to be vaccinated as well.

19 hours ago, Envelope21 said:

That cruise won't sail so it doesn't matter. 

30 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

That cruise won't sail so it doesn't matter. 

I agree, im concerned about my Hawaii cruise late November. Hoping for the best but have a PlanB for doing land trip.