Will Princess Cruises follow????

26 minutes ago, Shaver John said:

Just read that Crystal Cruises will require a vaccination for COVID 19 at least 14 days before sailing.  Do you think Princess will follow? 

I would think so.....I am sure they are going to do everything they can do to not have the PR disasters they had in the past with Covid-19 on their ships.....

It seems like one of the ways to decrease the chance of an outbreak on the ship,  so yes I would expect Princess to require the vaccine before sailing.

If Crystal Cruises think they can resume ocean cruising by July 1 (they currently say operations are paused through June 2021) with that requirement, I think they are nuts. I would be very surprised if all American adults are inoculated by the end of June and I don't see any way children will be. I don't believe we even know if the current vaccines are safe for children. I believe that testing is going on now.

I can't see any cruise line that is heavy into the family market requiring inoculation in 2021, maybe not 2022. Who knows going forward.

1 hour ago, dog said:

And I would expect all crew would be vaccinated too. And land staff be tested before working. 

Don't know about Princess, but not all Crystal crew will be required to be inoculated. Their statement said, "Crystal will also seek to ensure its crew are vaccinated but noted that endeavor may be harder as they come from dozens of countries around the world with different vaccine policies and availability."

For all the tough, no exceptions for passengers talk, Crystal seems pretty hypocritical when it comes to crew.

Saga Cruises will also require completion of the vaccine. Don't know about elsewhere, but here locally, "proof" of vaccination is a white card with handwriting. This could be easily forged. Wonder how this will work?

6 hours ago, Shaver John said:

Just read that Crystal Cruises will require a vaccination for COVID 19 at least 14 days before sailing.  Do you think Princess will follow? 

Yes...I think any cruise line will require the vaccination which I support. 

Tom😀

3 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Saga Cruises will also require completion of the vaccine. Don't know about elsewhere, but here locally, "proof" of vaccination is a white card with handwriting. This could be easily forged. Wonder how this will work?

If someone really wants to fake the paperwork, I'm sure they will find a way. However,  I would imagine that if they had to make any sort of medical claim, their insurance company would be able to access their medical records, and on discovery that no vaccine had been given, declare the claim null and void.

The threat of that alone would hopefully deter those that gave not been vaccinated trying to beat the system.

20 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

Viking has also started vaccines only. I really believe all cruise lines will follow.

It does seem that after a few cruise lines require this, the dominoes will fall and a great majority or quite possibly all would make that a requirement. Of course children not being vaccinated as the vaccine is not yet approved for them would be a problem.

If there were a few or maybe one cruise line that did not follow suit, I guess all who are unwilling to get the vaccine would choose them if they wished to cruise. But, seeing that I don't foresee why anyone who was vaccinated would sail with them.

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

Of course children not being vaccinated as the vaccine is not yet approved for them would be a problem.

Interesting to  note that vaccine trials are now underway on teenagers in the UK.  Full credit to those hundreds of teenagers who have volunteered,  especially as so many youngsters get a bad press these days. 

Just now, wowzz said:

Interesting to  note that vaccine trials are now underway on teenagers in the UK.  Full credit to those hundreds of teenagers who have volunteered,  especially as so many youngsters get a bad press these days. 

I understand children volunteering (I assume there must be parental approval) for vaccines that have already shown to be efficacious for adults. I also heard on the news yesterday that trials have started for pregnant women. That is one that I would have more concerns.

It only makes sense that Princess, and the other cruise lines, will do everything they can to ensure the safety of passengers and crew.  If that means everyone being totally vaccinated then let's support that.

Let's face it, if we can't keep the virus under control we all lose.  The vaccine isn't the only answer.  There may be a cure that we aren't being told about if you follow the money  Until then #PrincessStrong.

Short answer - yes.

Longer answer, I really don't think Princess will have any choice, vaccine rollout in many of the second and third world countries that Princess calls on will be months or years behind the U.S.  So, aside from short "cruises to nowhere", they won't be able to resume anything like normal operations unless they can offer assurance that the passengers getting off don't represent a risk to the local health system.

Also, don't be surprised to see Carnival Corp / RCI and NCL take a proactive approach offering the set up pop-up clinics to vaccinate local people on port days either.  This could go a long way to helping isolated ports and islands not just tolerate but welcome cruise ship visits!  

10 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Don't know about Princess, but not all Crystal crew will be required to be inoculated. Their statement said, "Crystal will also seek to ensure its crew are vaccinated but noted that endeavor may be harder as they come from dozens of countries around the world with different vaccine policies and availability."

For all the tough, no exceptions for passengers talk, Crystal seems pretty hypocritical when it comes to crew.

To be blunt, Crystal (or any cruise line) will not realistically be able to require their crew to be vaccinated by this summer.... because of worldwide vaccine shortages.  You can’t require something that people can’t yet get. 

It is one thing to require crew member vaccinations when there are vaccines available for anyone who wants one.  But worldwide, especially from many of the countries that crew members come from, that timeline doesn’t jive with this summer. At some point crew vaccines will likely be required, but there needs to be enough vaccines available first. 

There is going to be a limbo period this summer where a significant portion of citizens from wealthier western nations are vaccinated (some of whom will want to cruise again), but they will be confronted by the reality that there still aren’t enough vaccines available yet for the crew members to staff their cruise ships. Eventually there will be, but it is unknown how that limbo period this summer will play out.  Canada is basically saying no cruise ships in 2021.  Many Caribbean islands would still welcome the unvaccinated crew because they need the ship’s tourist dollars. The big question is whether the US government will allow unvaccinated crews to operate ships from a US port or not. 

1 hour ago, jondfk said:

Also, don't be surprised to see Carnival Corp / RCI and NCL take a proactive approach offering the set up pop-up clinics to vaccinate local people on port days either.  This could go a long way to helping isolated ports and islands not just tolerate but welcome cruise ship visits!  

I see. Instant protection, like instant coffee!

I sure hope so. I wouldn't want to cruise with passengers who haven't been vaccinated. There is the flip side of this, if I'm protected through vaccination the risk to me are minimal even if I get exposed.

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

If someone really wants to fake the paperwork, I'm sure they will find a way. However,  I would imagine that if they had to make any sort of medical claim, their insurance company would be able to access their medical records, and on discovery that no vaccine had been given, declare the claim null and void.

The threat of that alone would hopefully deter those that gave not been vaccinated trying to beat the system.

Just curious as to which medical records?  Is there a centralized system somewhere in the US?  Or a way for insurance companies to get that information if insurance was not used?

Assuming you are from IL, hello neighbor!

6 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Just curious as to which medical records?  Is there a centralized system somewhere in the US?  Or a way for insurance companies to get that information if insurance was not used?

Assuming you are from IL, hello neighbor!

I'm a long, long way away from IL. I'm in Lincolnshire in the UK!

Insurance companies can access your medical records in the UK, but only if you make a claim, and you agree to them having access to your files.  No claim, no access.

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I understand children volunteering (I assume there must be parental approval) for vaccines that have already shown to be efficacious for adults. I also heard on the news yesterday that trials have started for pregnant women. That is one that I would have more concerns.

TV anchors stating USA elementary school children won't be eligible for  vaccination until spring 2022 so I wonder how PCL will handle that? If they refuse boarding will they automatically refund FCC or permit it to be transferred to the original booking adult's account?? 

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

I sure hope so. I wouldn't want to cruise with passengers who haven't been vaccinated. There is the flip side of this, if I'm protected through vaccination the risk to me are minimal even if I get exposed.

But you are okay with unvaccinated crew members?

30 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

There isn't a nationwide database for everyone's health records and then you have the issue of HIPPA laws.