POLL: Do you support Cruise Lines Making Proof of Covid Vaccinations Mandatory Before Passengers are Allowed to Board?

Do you support Cruise Lines Making Proof of Covid Vaccinations Mandatory Before Passengers are Allowed to Board?  

254 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support Cruise Lines Making Proof of Covid Vaccinations Mandatory Before Passengers are Allowed to Board?

• Yes - I believe that vaccinations should be mandatory before passengers are allowed to board
    • No - I don't believe that vaccinations should be mandatory before passengers are allowed to board

I voted NO, even though I intend to get the vaccination.  My reason for NO is none of the vaccines are approved for children, and passengers in their 20s and 30s may not be able to get shots until next year given the glacial pace in some states.  Cruise lines aren't going to survive relying solely on vaccinated old folks.

32 minutes ago, Roz said:

I voted NO, even though I intend to get the vaccination.  My reason for NO is none of the vaccines are approved for children, and passengers in their 20s and 30s may not be able to get shots until next year given the glacial pace in some states.  Cruise lines aren't going to survive relying solely on vaccinated old folks.

I agree that there is a problem arising from  CURRENT vaccine age restrictions (although tests are now under way to explore expanding  age range).  

In any event,  they might do better sailing with adults than not at all.  And, while some states are going slowly, there may be more than enough vaccinated people by late summer to fill some ships.

Edited by navybankerteacher

It is probably a mute point, as I expect a number of countries will make vaccinations mandatory for entry. If one such country is on the itinerary, the cruise line has no options, other than changing the itinerary.

Since our preferred cruise line is 18+, the current age limitations are not an issue.

In the US it should not be long before the vaccines are also approved for use in children. They are already testing it in children down to age 12 and intend to continue from there.

No cruise lines are sailing currently in the US. When they do start, they are not all going to start at once, IMO. So there's no reason why they cannot limit it to vaccinated people. Getting more ships up and running will go hand-in-hand with having a higher percentage of vaccinated potential passengers.

2 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

Curious to see what the feeling is about proof of Covid vaccinations being required prior to being allowed to board.  Please choose yes or no in the poll.  

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

In the US it should not be long before the vaccines are also approved for use in children. They are already testing it in children down to age 12 and intend to continue from there.

No cruise lines are sailing currently in the US. When they do start, they are not all going to start at once, IMO. So there's no reason why they cannot limit it to vaccinated people. Getting more ships up and running will go hand-in-hand with having a higher percentage of vaccinated potential passengers.

For me it depends.  

If the vaccinations are readily available, then yes.  It's like when I was a kid, we all had to get our shots before going to school.  

If you go to different countries there are certain shots you need to take.  They are readily available and the readily available is the key.

I think the cruise lines if they meet the CDC criteria should be able to set sail even if the entire cruise crew and its passengers are not vaccinated, because at present it's not readily available for everyone to be vaccinated.  Yet, when it does become readily available, I would say yes, for it not only protects us, but  those around us.

Glenn ♠️

15 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

Curious to see what the feeling is about proof of Covid vaccinations being required prior to being allowed to board.  Please choose yes or no in the poll.  

I voted YES because I support the right of each individual cruise line to decide whether to require vaccines to board.  I think some lines will be very slow to do so, perhaps not mandating it at all - and that's fine with me.

15 hours ago, Roz said:

Cruise lines aren't going to survive relying solely on vaccinated old folks.

Au contraire, there are more than a few cruise lines that rely on old folks who will probably be vaccinated by the time we get sailing again - if they haven't already.

14 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

In any event,  they might do better sailing with adults than not at all.  And, while some states are going slowly, there may be more than enough vaccinated people by late summer to fill some ships.

Agree on all counts. Everyone should keep in mind there will be capacity limits on cruise ships for some time to come, so the "fill" mark for each ship will be lower than we think.

13 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

It is probably a mute point, as I expect a number of countries will make vaccinations mandatory for entry. If one such country is on the itinerary, the cruise line has no options, other than changing the itinerary.

I acknowledge the possibility that individual countries can and will ban non-vaccinated visitors.  Let's put it like this... if BOTH the Bahamas AND Mexico make vaccines mandatory, that would put SO MUCH pressure on the cruise lines that I can see them all waving the white flag and making vaccines mandatory for trips out of the U.S.  It will be fascinating to see how things develop.

Had my first AstraZeneca shot yesterday afternoon!

Woke up this morning with a sore arm where I took the jab

and my usual early morning aches and pains noticeably worse than usual.

Other than that, no big deal re. reactions.

My next shot is due on 5th. May! about 9 weeks away..

so by the end of May I should be ready to cruise

- assuming that AstraZeneca works anything like this Pfizer graphic..

!!Immunity schedule.jpg

Countries around the world are scambling to make immunity passports so I think cruise lines are not going to have a choice unless they plan on running very limited itineraries. In saying that I think anyone who is going to travel overseas has a moral obligation to get vaccinated. You shouldn't be putting other countries at risk of outbreaks or burdening their health systems because you don't want a vaccine😁.

21 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Passengers AND crew....

Oh boy.  Think repatriating the crew last spring/summer was difficult?  Try vaccinating them.  There are, as I see it, three ways to get the crew vaccinated - all with tremendous difficulties:

1) Buy them (or have them donated by a friendly government) and distribute them on ships using current personnel

2) Let the crew get vaccinated in their home countries when they can

3) Drop the crew off in a friendly country and let them stand in line at the local equivalent of a CVS

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Oh boy.  Think repatriating the crew last spring/summer was difficult?  Try vaccinating them.  There are, as I see it, three ways to get the crew vaccinated - all with tremendous difficulties:

1) Buy them (or have them donated by a friendly government) and distribute them on ships using current personnel

2) Let the crew get vaccinated in their home countries when they can

3) Drop the crew off in a friendly country and let them stand in line at the local equivalent of a CVS

As I anticipate vaccinations will be mandatory for crew, they will most likely be a requirement for signing on. The Crewing Agencies (aka Unions) in the countries that supply many crew will be negotiating with and pressuring their governments to provide priority to mariners.

The International Chamber of Shipping and IMO are also applying pressure on maritime nations to vaccinate seafarers. The officers union Numast has been applying pressure since late last year.

I didn't vote, there are currently NO vaccines which are 100%, best is 95% so having or not having will not guarantee 100% you will not get covid especially if the ports visited are, shall we say, not as robust. I realise that if you have the vaccine you will not get the disease as bad as not having the jab, but with the number of mutations currently spreading, will the vaccine you have be good enough to protect you from that particular strain?

Edited by ovccruiser

I voted Yes.

After waiting so long to cruise, I don't want my cruise impacted by non-vaccinated people getting sick with Covid and then what?  Will the cruise be shortened, will everyone be quarantined?  

1 hour ago, ovccruiser said:

I didn't vote, there are currently NO vaccines which are 100%, best is 95% so having or not having will not guarantee 100% you will not get covid especially if the ports visited are, shall we say, not as robust. I realise that if you have the vaccine you will not get the disease as bad as not having the jab, but with the number of mutations currently spreading, will the vaccine you have be good enough to protect you from that particular strain?

Nothing will ever be 100%. 95% is actually quite a remarkable achievement.

I doubt cruises will start again until all ages will have access to vaccines, I would like to ban passengers from cruising and also flying when that happens. I should get my second shot in a week or two.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Nothing will ever be 100%. 95% is actually quite a remarkable achievement.

I realise that, I was just trying to point out that it is improbable that we will be asked for proof other than, probably, our word, as we from the other side of the pond don't have to prove we are not terrorists 😇

I voted yes.....I really don't want to be on a ship that all of a sudden has sick people onboard. Then what??? Quarantine everyone? What port would let the ship dock. I think it would be a mess that   the lines don't want to cope with. They will require passengers to provide proof of vaccinations.

My wife and I both received second shot a week ago.

Edited by KEN W

Ken, fortunately the large ships cruising the Med right now have worked out many of your/our concerns. I'm certain the big three are watching and taking notes. 

3 minutes ago, c-boy said:

Ken, fortunately the large ships cruising the Med right now have worked out many of your/our concerns. I'm certain the big three are watching and taking notes. 

👍👍👍

On 2/20/2021 at 1:36 PM, Smokeyham said:

I voted YES because when cruising resumes in 2023 this may not be a factor.

I voted Yes.  Not just having 100% vaccinated guests, but also crew as well.

As others have said, what will the ports that a ship tries to port accept?

Since a "cruise to nowhere" seems still to be "off the table" in the United States for implementation, I don't see me being on the seven seas in the near future.