POLL: Do you support Cruise Lines Making Proof of Covid Vaccinations Mandatory Before Passengers are Allowed to Board?

Do you support Cruise Lines Making Proof of Covid Vaccinations Mandatory Before Passengers are Allowed to Board?  

254 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support Cruise Lines Making Proof of Covid Vaccinations Mandatory Before Passengers are Allowed to Board?

• Yes - I believe that vaccinations should be mandatory before passengers are allowed to board
    • No - I don't believe that vaccinations should be mandatory before passengers are allowed to board

25 minutes ago, K32682 said:

They should, of course, be treated but I still have no sympathy for anyone who dies or suffers long term consequences of any disease for which there is a vaccine.

Beyond that,  their anti-social selfishness should be considered.  

Nothing surprising here.  Many have warned (for months) that those who do not want to get vaccinated will likely need to be content staying within their own country.  And we may even see vaccine requirements for domestic airlines.

The anti-vaxers will continue to whine (as they have done for eons) but I think that when it comes to cruising and International travel their whines will be akin to spitting into a stiff wind.  Most will not care and they will simply need to live with the consequences of their decision.

Hank

37 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Nothing surprising here.  Many have warned (for months) that those who do not want to get vaccinated will likely need to be content staying within their own country.  And we may even see vaccine requirements for domestic airlines.

The anti-vaxers will continue to whine (as they have done for eons) but I think that when it comes to cruising and International travel their whines will be akin to spitting into a stiff wind.  Most will not care and they will simply need to live with the consequences of their decision.

Hank

But what about the consequences to others caused by the anti-vaxxers? A few years back there was a surge in cases of measles in parts of NY State that only ended when the so called religious exemption was taken back. Schools were closed. Those who legitimately had medical exemptions were left with the choice of taking the vaccine despite the contraindications or risking catching measles.

Wouldn't too many anti-vaxxers quite possibly lead to more variants, some of which might defeat the vaccines?

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

But what about the consequences to others caused by the anti-vaxxers? A few years back there was a surge in cases of measles in parts of NY State that only ended when the so called religious exemption was taken back. Schools were closed. Those who legitimately had medical exemptions were left with the choice of taking the vaccine despite the contraindications or risking catching measles.

Wouldn't too many anti-vaxxers quite possibly lead to more variants, some of which might defeat the vaccines?

HMMmmmm, 🤨  and here I was going to post that cruising will be safer in the future with all on board being vaccinated. Ya sank my battle ship !   lol

Anti-vaccers who don't want to vaccinate have the right to get sick and die. However they don't have the right to make others get sick and die. I hope the lines require vaccination. 

6 hours ago, K32682 said:

They should, of course, be treated but I still have no sympathy for anyone who dies or suffers long term consequences of any disease for which there is a vaccine.

This is a pretty ignorant statement. Especially considering many of the people who are at risk of COVID are ones who took poor care of their own lives and developed diabetes, lung, or heart disease. No one says a word to them but wishes death upon the healthy who do not get injections. Pretty fair stance.

2 hours ago, KEN W said:

However they don't have the right to make others get sick and die

Nor do they have the right to keep any State's health orders in place because there are too many Covid cases being reported in a State.  

On 4/4/2021 at 9:31 AM, crazyank said:

You really need to take a look at the vaccine rollout in the USA versus the chaotic shambles currently going on in Europe.  You might appreciate the US a little more.

And you are from Germany.. Look at The Netherlands where the "vaccination strategy" is literally changing every day and different government bodies have started blaming each other publicly for their respective total failures, and all of them blaming the public. We have a million vaccines in stock, not in an arm, which would be more if our beloved government would have bought vaccines when they were offered, and now we are waiting for public "servants" to decide which procedures to follow.  

7 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

And you are from Germany.. Look at The Netherlands where the "vaccination strategy" is literally changing every day and different government bodies have started blaming each other publicly for their respective total failures, and all of them blaming the public. We have a million vaccines in stock, not in an arm, which would be more if our beloved government would have bought vaccines when they were offered, and now we are waiting for public "servants" to decide which procedures to follow.  

Yep, sounds very familiar.  Total chaos created by politicians.

15 hours ago, Joebucks said:

This is a pretty ignorant statement. Especially considering many of the people who are at risk of COVID are ones who took poor care of their own lives and developed diabetes, lung, or heart disease. No one says a word to them but wishes death upon the healthy who do not get injections. Pretty fair stance.

People who take poor care of themselves over the long term might succumb to any number of medical conditions and there is no vaccine to prevent their condition. Anti-vaxxers meanwhile decline a vaccine that will protect them. Should they die from the virus that could have been easily avoided with an injection or two then their death is the result of stupidity.  Darwin award nomination to follow. 

Posted (edited)

And on a positive note, despite the Canadian government's woeful performance on vaccines I get my shot this week. 🙂

Edited by K32682

A couple of thoughts . Yes the results of this poll are clear with roughly 90% favoring mandatory vaccines but the fact that a 6 week poll only received 242 votes says CC doesn't represent much of anything . That is incredibly low . Was it a Facebook or a YouTube poll that in a week received 100 thousand votes on whether elaborate baby reveals are a good thing ? (They are not 👶)

I've got to stop believing that Cruise Critic is relevant . I can be a slow learner . 

4 minutes ago, richstowe said:

A couple of thoughts . Yes the results of this poll are clear with roughly 90% favoring mandatory vaccines but the fact that a 6 week poll only received 242 votes says CC doesn't represent much of anything . That is incredibly low . Was it a Facebook or a YouTube poll that in a week received 100 thousand votes on whether elaborate baby reveals are a good thing ? (They are not 👶)

I've got to stop believing that Cruise Critic is relevant . I can be a slow learner . 

I think CC is a good belwether for the "hard core" cruisers, so it depends who you are trying to reach. I've learned over the years that CC'ers will hardly believe anything bad can be associated with cruising (in general) and their particular line of choice.... 🙄

They also appear to have generous forgiveness and short memories. A year ago there was a lot of consternation about how cruise lines kept sailing in the face of the pandemic and were less than transparent about what was happening on board their ships. 

Now all that is forgotten and the cruise lines are the good guys who the bad ol' CDC won't let sail.

54 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

They also appear to have generous forgiveness and short memories. A year ago there was a lot of consternation about how cruise lines kept sailing in the face of the pandemic and were less than transparent about what was happening on board their ships. 

They should make watching "The Last Cruise" on HBO mandatory....

I am still unsure whether mandatory vaccination will work before going on a cruise, and more thoughts I can bring up reason why we shouldn't impose them. Most in the US have had probably the Pfizer, in the UK the Astra Zeneca or Pfizer, most of the EU are against the AZ so are probably on Pfizer or Sputnik, and there are a number of other vaccines becoming available. Now the problem, will all the vaccines have the same resistance to, as yet, unknown variants, I am certain some will be good and others not so good, so what use would a vaccine passport be then? 

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think CC is a good belwether for the "hard core" cruisers, so it depends who you are trying to reach.

Your statement is a fair one, I think.  

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

the cruise lines are the good guys who the bad ol' CDC won't let sail.

The CDC is, I think, trying to take a broader view than those who want cruising to begin.  The thought of another Diamond Princess cruise, etc., has been seared into the minds of the CDC.  They--nor does the cruise industry--want another ship that becomes a "petri dish" for Covid-19.  

Have the cruise lines been treated equatability in comparison to other companies in the hospitality/travel industry?  That is open for debate.  

Spending 2+ hours dining in a restaurant (something that I have not done since mid-March, 2020):  what are one's odds of acquiring the virus as compared as to being on a cruise ship for 24 hours with those who are not vaccinated and where the proper health protocols are not being followed?  

Life is and has always been a gamble.  Doing whatever one does during this pandemic is part of that "gamble".