Jump to content

Canada's Covid Vaccine Failure


BJzink
 Share

Recommended Posts

Article in this weekend's WSJ by Michael Taube.  1st 2 sentences: "If you're impatient with the pace of Covid-19 vaccine distribution in the US,  count your blessings.  At least you don't live in Canada. "

Goes on to explain several issues with ordering, distribution, etc.  Get a copy or look it up.  Might be part of the reason they are blocking cruises to Canada. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

An article in the NY Times explains what's been going on in Canada.  There have been manufacturing issues, causing both Moderna and Pfizer to reduce shipments to Canada.  Pfizer totally stopped shipping to Canada for a time.  Plus there have been issues with weather.

 

HOWEVER, Canada's per-capita infection rate and death rate are around a third of ours, thanks to the Canadian government taking this pandemic much more seriously than our government did for the longest time.  From the start of the pandemic Canada has been a better place than the US, and I can certainly see why they don't want to take any chances.

 

 

 

Edited by groundloop
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Amazing to read that article. Guess Trudeau trusted in a Chinese vaccine that didn't produce satisfactory results so now they are scrambling for vaccines from other manufacturers.  Very low vaccination rate, luckily they still have a low infection rate. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, BJzink said:

Might be part of the reason they are blocking cruises to Canada. 

 

 

Actually, that's old news. Shipments back on schedule...

 

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/covid-19-canada-vaccine-pfizer-moderna-175145199.html

 

What's really important is that most Canadians will vax...

 

https://torontosun.com/news/national/most-canadians-now-want-covid-19-vaccine-asap-poll

 

Hope that our American friends will do the same? 👍

 

3 hours ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Very low vaccination rate, luckily they still have a low infection rate. 

 

Thank You. Low infection rate results from the choices we made.👍

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Canada is doing very well in many fields, and I am pretty sure that in terms of the Pandemic it will figure things out pretty quickly. We just need to wait a little longer 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, BJzink said:

Article in this weekend's WSJ by Michael Taube.  1st 2 sentences: "If you're impatient with the pace of Covid-19 vaccine distribution in the US,  count your blessings.  At least you don't live in Canada. "

 

 

 

The USA has in the order of 2.5 times Canada's per capita Covid death rate. Although now further ahead in vaccines, the daily new case count in the USA is still sitting at double the daily new case count in Canada. I will count my blessings while patiently waiting for my vaccine in Canada.

  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

 

The USA has in the order of 2.5 times Canada's per capita Covid death rate. Although now further ahead in vaccines, the daily new case count in the USA is still sitting at double the daily new case count in Canada. I will count my blessings while patiently waiting for my vaccine in Canada.

I agree, the saying those who live in glasses houses should not throw stones comes to mind.

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, BJzink said:

Might be part of the reason they are blocking cruises to Canada. 

 

Blocking cruises to Canada?

 

It is Canada that made the decision to close their ports, not the other way around! 

 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

 

Blocking cruises to Canada?

 

It is Canada that made the decision to close their ports, not the other way around! 

 

"They" as in the Canadian officials was my intent.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Failure is an interesting choice of words isn't it?  Reality is each country has its own challenges in dealing with this crisis.  There have been successes and failure everywhere,  and with COVID those successes and failures are measured in lives saved, lives lost. The biggest risk/issue is that we do not have the domestic vaccine production that exists in the US or the UK/EU.  We are dependent upon importing our vaccines, there are deals in place to change that, but that will take time. 

 

Right now we have enough doses on order from Pifzer and Moderna to vaccinate every Canadian (38 million) + 4 million more by the end of September.  Now since not everyone will get vaccinated, the number of doses is going to vastly exceed demand at some point in late summer.  Add in the potential additional of the AstraZenneca, J&J and Novovax and we might get there sooner in the summer, closer to what the plans are for the US and UK.  Time will tell, if COVID has taught us anything it is plan for the worst, hope for the best. 

 

 

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All cruises to Canada have been cancelled to Feb 2022.  Unfortunately, at the current vaccination pace, I fear that that deadline could be extended.

 

Canada has certainly been falling behind in other countries in its vaccination program.  There are many reasons for this and the most obvious is that we lack the ability to manufacture any vaccines in Canada.  There have been other political reasons brought forth as well, but no need to discuss these as this is a cruise forum and not a political forum.

 

I live in Ontario and the latest update from our provincial government has the vaccine roll out up to Dec of this year.  While our Prime Minister has previously stated that anyone in Canada who wants a vaccine should have it by Sept, our provincial gov't is now stating that the general population (under age 65) can expect to be vaccinated by Dec.  Seems to be a constantly moving goal post.  And, as Dec is a long way off, it seems reasonable to think that it will be pushed into 2022 and this may affect the start up of cruising in Canada again.

 

We can hope for the best...perhaps things will improve.  😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, darwinsrule said:

Failure is an interesting choice of words isn't it?  Reality is each country has its own challenges in dealing with this crisis.  There have been successes and failure everywhere,  and with COVID those successes and failures are measured in lives saved, lives lost. The biggest risk/issue is that we do not have the domestic vaccine production that exists in the US or the UK/EU.  We are dependent upon importing our vaccines, there are deals in place to change that, but that will take time. 

 

Right now we have enough doses on order from Pifzer and Moderna to vaccinate every Canadian (38 million) + 4 million more by the end of September.  Now since not everyone will get vaccinated, the number of doses is going to vastly exceed demand at some point in late summer.  Add in the potential additional of the AstraZenneca, J&J and Novovax and we might get there sooner in the summer, closer to what the plans are for the US and UK.  Time will tell, if COVID has taught us anything it is plan for the worst, hope for the best. 

 

 

Does your calculation include the fact nobody under 16 gets a vaccine at this point? For the US, that drops the target number from about 330 million to about 260 million people who are eligible, for now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Does your calculation include the fact nobody under 16 gets a vaccine at this point? For the US, that drops the target number from about 330 million to about 260 million people who are eligible, for now.

The 38+ million is total population.  I included the 'children' in the not getting vaccinated immediately part in my mind. That number should be a little more than 6 million (0-15 in age) meaning you have an initial starting point for vaccination of probably a little more than 32 million.  Out of that 32 there is another subset of the population that either won't get vaccinated, or can't.  Pfizer and Moderna are both have a 2 dose requirement, that is 64 million doses. 

 

My 12 year old right now falls outside the age groups that will be vaccinated right now.  Hopefully as the additional vaccines come online they sort that side out.  Obviously not leaving her at home alone to go on a cruise, but our next one isn't technically scheduled until Christmas this year so we really have until September (final payment) for this stuff to sort itself out.  We still need to find something to book for our cancelled Koningsdam cruise from last summer.  We have until the end of June to book, however I have zero confidence anyone will be sailing in June and I have an issue booking something new at this point. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

@darwinsrule, those numbers almost perfectly match California's numbers..we are at about 8 million injections administered. 

Yup.  California is slightly bigger.  Just imagine taking California's population however and scattering them over a landmass larger than the entire US.  Reality is vaccine production is still ramping up, as it ramps up and delivered the next thing we (collectively all the developed countries) is making sure those islands and countries we want to visit has access to vaccines supplies to take care of their populations.  Cruise lines aren't going to risk going in to places where COVID is still running wild.  

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well Canada is well behind in vaccine procurement due to legacy issues related to no vaccine manufacturing facilities and generally limited manufacturing in general in everything, nothing much is manufactured here anymore.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         .

Be careful about reading in any benefits to Canada - be very careful to calculate the urban vs rural % population, this plays a part in the % of deaths due to this virus. Canada has a much larger rural population than the USA and other countries which may contribute to the so called lower Canadian death rates. 

 

Canada is not to be admired in this virus, our federal gov was in bed, and remains in bed, with China and got screwed in terms of vaccines, so we are now 38th in the world for vaccinations. Nothing what so ever to be proud of.

 

This fact is just now circulating in Canada and the population is just now doing uptake.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

 

Blocking cruises to Canada?

 

It is Canada that made the decision to close their ports, not the other way around! 

 

Canada closed its borders.

What US ports are currently open for cruising?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

                                                                                                                                                                              Be careful about reading in any benefits to Canada - be very careful to calculate the urban vs rural % population, this plays a part in the % of deaths due to this virus. Canada has a much larger rural population than the USA and other countries which may contribute to the so called lower Canadian death rates. 

 

 

This is quite an interesting statement -  could you please post your source of information?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

 

This is quite an interesting statement -  could you please post your source of information?

I take it you don’t believe ABoatNerd?  As you suspected, what he/she says is incorrect.  Canada has a high percentage of urban population, only slightly behind the United States and ahead of Germany.  See this...

 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urbanization_by_country

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I take it you don’t believe ABoatNerd?  As you suspected, what he/she says is incorrect.  Canada has a high percentage of urban population, only slightly behind the United States and ahead of Germany.  See this...

 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urbanization_by_country

 

Yes - I'd rate the posting in question is  "dubious at best" - haha. 

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...