Cruise advertising? Maybe not now?

I am watching CNN this evening, and was treated to an expensive ad from NCL - Regent’s parent company. But when is NCL sailing, and under what rules? The ad didn’t address such things. We are among those who fear that NCL and Regent and all the NCL companies will go broke and never cruise again. We don’t want this, but we fear it. And we don’t like companies paying big bucks to advertise things that are not immediately for sale and available. Isn’t that false advertising? Isn’t that a waste of money by a company we all hope will survive, but may not? Watching the TV ad was like there is no CDC no sail order, no cruise bans on many popular ports and countries, and no pandemic. Unfortunately, we have those things, and NCL’s ad ignores them. NCLH, and the entire cruise industry, may be in grave financial condition. Though we hope it can emerge, we know that expensive and misleading advertising is not the way.

It is not false advertising unless they know, for a fact, that it is not true. Just like almost everything in the Stock market, NCL is using their best guess on the economy and the state of the Covid vaccine, hopeful that best estimated come true. NCL is not forcing anyone to buy and we all know the risks, But with Covid rates dropping precipitously and the rate of vaccinations rapidly rising they are betting that life will returned to some sort of normalcy sooner rather than latter.

My contacts in the Travel Industries say that there is very high pent up demand for all travel and that booking are proceeding at a very brisk pace. So it seem that a lot of the public agrees and NCL's marketing might be "spot-on" timely.

J

1 hour ago, JMARINER said:

It is not false advertising unless they know, for a fact, that it is not true. Just like almost everything in the Stock market, NCL is using their best guess on the economy and the state of the Covid vaccine, hopeful that best estimated come true. NCL is not forcing anyone to buy and we all know the risks, But with Covid rates dropping precipitously and the rate of vaccinations rapidly rising they are betting that life will returned to some sort of normalcy sooner rather than latter.

My contacts in the Travel Industries say that there is very high pent up demand for all travel and that booking are proceeding at a very brisk pace. So it seem that a lot of the public agrees and NCL's marketing might be "spot-on" timely.

J

Exactly our thoughts....

sheila

4 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

I am watching CNN this evening, and was treated to an expensive ad from NCL - Regent’s parent company. But when is NCL sailing, and under what rules? The ad didn’t address such things. We are among those who fear that NCL and Regent and all the NCL companies will go broke and never cruise again. We don’t want this, but we fear it. And we don’t like companies paying big bucks to advertise things that are not immediately for sale and available. Isn’t that false advertising? Isn’t that a waste of money by a company we all hope will survive, but may not? Watching the TV ad was like there is no CDC no sail order, no cruise bans on many popular ports and countries, and no pandemic. Unfortunately, we have those things, and NCL’s ad ignores them. NCLH, and the entire cruise industry, may be in grave financial condition. Though we hope it can emerge, we know that expensive and misleading advertising is not the way.

Stop watching CNN.😁

Many years ago I worked for a company that was having significant financial difficulties and we were looking hard at EVERY dollar of expenses. Any easy target...at least in my mind...was our advertising spending. After much analysis and anguish a decision was reached to keep our name out there and not cut advertising at all. In retrospect, that was the absolute best decision we could have made! Brand equity is very valuable and with it weakened as it would have been had we cut those dollars we would never have been in the forefront of the consumers mind when things got better as they did. Our CEO, who made the final call not to cut advertising, deserved the plaudits he received. I expect NCL's management will as well.