Penthouse Mini Refrig

GT38

I believe the only category where the fridge items are not complimentary is in the Verdanda.  Deluxe Veranda does not get alcohol but the higher ones do.  I don't know if the Veranda fridge is empty or you pay for what is in there if you use it like in a hotel fridge.

Can anybody tell me what the policy is for those in a V1 (basic Veranda) category who has the Silver Spirit Drinks Package.

It seems a little crazy that you can get inclusive drinks at all the bars but they can't put a few cold beers and sodas in your mini fridge?

1 hour ago, NeilP57 said:

Can anybody tell me what the policy is for those in a V1 (basic Veranda) category who has the Silver Spirit Drinks Package.

It seems a little crazy that you can get inclusive drinks at all the bars but they can't put a few cold beers and sodas in your mini fridge?

They restock with soft drinks and snacks once a day.  But no beer.  You can ask for an unopened beer and take back to your room or just buy a six pack of the local favorite while on shore.  No restrictions on bringing spirits, beer or food back on board.  Fun to watch the food stuff the crew brings back.  

2 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

Welcome to Viking.

Although we were in a DV, with SSBP, on the World Cruise I requested beers in the fridge, a bottle of Grand Marnier and Bacardi. Didn't need to replace the bottles, but the beer was replaced a number of times.

Just had to ask.😀

• Like 1

You can also request the type of soft drinks you want.  We always made a list of preferred items and put in the "nut" section of the refrig.  We usually picked up 1 or 2 bottles of water when coming back on board.  We kept these in the mini frig. I usually mixed the water with crystal light. It is also nice to bring back local bottle (or2) of wine or beer.

Viking Ocean room service is quick and hot food was always hot.

I  pack Ziplock type bags. When on our V River Russian cruise, I would make sandwiches from the breakfast buffet for our lunch. When on tours in Russia, Viking did not return to the boat for lunch.  We either stopped at a resturant (fixed plate) or had a boxed lunch provided by Viking.  The lunch boxes contain bottle water, fresh fruit, cookie and sandwich.  The sandwich was about 1 tablespoon mayonnais with 1 very thin slice of meat and 1 very thin slice of cheese. Glad we had the sandwiches I fixed on board.

With the last cruise we did to South America, we purchased several bottles of sparkling wine and wine at vineyards.  Our cabin steward was on the ball enough that when I put a bottle into the fridge to chill, champagne glasses set up was put into the room for us too.  

I never cease to be amazed as to how on the ball they are in anticipating needs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MSEm said:

You can also request the type of soft drinks you want.  We always made a list of preferred items and put in the "nut" section of the refrig.  We usually picked up 1 or 2 bottles of water when coming back on board.  We kept these in the mini frig. I usually mixed the water with crystal light. It is also nice to bring back local bottle (or2) of wine or beer.

Viking Ocean room service is quick and hot food was always hot.

I  pack Ziplock type bags. When on our V River Russian cruise, I would make sandwiches from the breakfast buffet for our lunch. When on tours in Russia, Viking did not return to the boat for lunch.  We either stopped at a resturant (fixed plate) or had a boxed lunch provided by Viking.  The lunch boxes contain bottle water, fresh fruit, cookie and sandwich.  The sandwich was about 1 tablespoon mayonnais with 1 very thin slice of meat and 1 very thin slice of cheese. Glad we had the sandwiches I fixed on board.

We just made requests when the room steward came to welcome us. Things like "just Coke" and "four bottles of rum instead of the selection" were accommodated as a matter of course. The request for a bucket of ice twice a day was also gladly met. Next time I'm going to ask for a few lime wedges and a real drink glass as well. Note that you can get only what they have on hand ----- no bourbon for example and the rum is Bacardi instead of OFTD or any other rum worth drinking.

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Although we were in a DV, with SSBP, on the World Cruise I requested beers in the fridge, a bottle of Grand Marnier and Bacardi. Didn't need to replace the bottles, but the beer was replaced a number of times.

Just had to ask.😀

Yes but that was on the World Cruise and I have noticed in reading posts from you WCers that some things are done differently on WC than they are on the shorter cruises.

8 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

I believe the only category where the fridge items are not complimentary is in the Verdanda.  Deluxe Veranda does not get alcohol but the higher ones do.  I don't know if the Veranda fridge is empty or you pay for what is in there if you use it like in a hotel fridge.

The initial stocking is complimentary for Veranda. After that, you may purchase refills.  Or you can grab a couple of extra cans at lunch or dinner and bring them back to your room.

Over the past few years, there has been a lot of confusion with the drinks package and the stocking of the mini-fridge. At one point, they were stocking the fridges with alcohol and then later the policy was changed to not stock them. I honestly don't know at this point which way the pendulum is swinging but it helps to explain why it is so hard to get a straight answer for this question.

One thing to remember is that on the drinks package, drinks delivered to your cabin are covered. So, even if you don't have the fixings in your mini, you can still enjoy the tipple of your choice in your cabin at any time you wish.

9 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Over the past few years, there has been a lot of confusion with the drinks package and the stocking of the mini-fridge

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. If we sail in August this year, it will be interesting to see what policies are applied in a whole bunch of different areas including this one. 

My take is:

Ask, they can only say no. 

If they do say no,  ask at the bar for unopened products. 

Also, order extra products with room service lunches. 

As an aside, some of our most enjoyable lunches have been with room service on the veranda after returning from an excursion whilst docked somewhere with a beautiful view. Bay of Kotor, springs to mind. It is often pot luck whether you have a beautiful vista or a view of the roof of the cruise terminal building! 

I think you have a good plan!  When we were in V1&2, we found that the items while complimentary were NOT restocked and having SS did not change that stance (in fact the fridge steward wouldn’t even switch out regular for diet 😢). We quickly learned to ask for a can of diet when leaving lunch.  Once we were in DVs, the sodas were replaced and when we asked for tonic and diets instead of regular and sprite,  they were gladly provided. We haven’t purchased SS since our first cruise-instead we have purchased a bottle of gin and one of vodka at the first duty free opportunity. 

We haven’t asked for room service lime though that is a good idea. I just usually zip down to the Living Room every three days or so and ask for some and they give me several wedges in a tumbler which we keep in the fridge. 

Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I think you have a good plan!  When we were in V1&2, we found that the items while complimentary were NOT restocked and having SS did not change that stance (in fact the fridge steward wouldn’t even switch out regular for diet 😢). We quickly learned to ask for a can of diet when leaving lunch.  Once we were in DVs, the sodas were replaced and when we asked for tonic and diets instead of regular and sprite,  they were gladly provided. We haven’t purchased SS since our first cruise-instead we have purchased a bottle of gin and one of vodka at the first duty free opportunity. 

We haven’t asked for room service lime though that is a good idea. I just usually zip down to the Living Room every three days or so and ask for some and they give me several wedges in a tumbler which we keep in the fridge. 

Have a great cruise!

I'd always stop by the living room bar on my way back from dinner and ask for a couple of wedges. It has now occurred to me that the room steward might easily handle that for us.