1 hour ago, desiree741 said:

I really hope cruising is back to normal by then, it looks fun! Not sure I can justify taking that many days off work tho 🤷🏻‍♀️😂

How many days you need depends on which ship you choose. There are 4-8 day options and multiple dates.

1 hour ago, Bookbug53 said:

How many days you need depends on which ship you choose. There are 4-8 day options and multiple dates.

1 hour ago, Bookbug53 said:

Booked on one in February 2022, to Hawaii with a meetup around Ensenada on our return to Long Beach.

We booked the Glory from Nola, leaves March 5th & the meet up is Mar 7th. Lots of 50th Birthday "throw back specials" to happen plus the 4 ships meet up at each of the locations & party on the decks...Looking forward to this one... Just look up Sailabration & you will see the who, what & where.

Edited by eltigre
19 hours ago, pamesacruisin said:

What happens during meet ups?

Although all kinds of activities have been mentioned on-board, the actual meeting up with other ships seems somewhat anti-climatic - it isn't like they are going to string up ziplines between ships or anything.  So other than seeing another three Carnival ships nearby, how co-ordinated can anything be beyond sounding the ships horns?

Besides the ship horns I expect simultaneous deck parties with each ship trying to out party the others.

Grab a Carnival Sailabration cruise and your ship will be meeting up with sister ships for a huge celebration at sea. Each ship will be throwing its own party on Lido, where the Playlist Productions cast will join the ship’s band and DJ for a completely rockin’ celebration, sing-alongs to classic tunes you love, culminating in a special nighttime show at sea.

Midnight buffet, special drinks, throwback sea day, I imagine special anniversary gift(s).

https://www.carnival.com/carnival-sailabration-cruises.aspx

On 2/21/2021 at 7:41 PM, pamesacruisin said:

What happens during meet ups?

This is the info. Carnival gives: Grab a Carnival Sailabration cruise and your ship will be meeting up with sister ships for a huge celebration at sea. Each ship will be throwing its own party on Lido, where the Playlist Productions cast will join the ship’s band and DJ for a completely rockin’ celebration, sing-alongs to classic tunes you love, culminating in a special nighttime show at sea.

No, there won't be zip lines between ships (c'mon 🙄), but it'll still be a unique experience. It is what you make of it. We'll be on the Sunrise and are looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

This is the info. Carnival gives: Grab a Carnival Sailabration cruise and your ship will be meeting up with sister ships for a huge celebration at sea. Each ship will be throwing its own party on Lido, where the Playlist Productions cast will join the ship’s band and DJ for a completely rockin’ celebration, sing-alongs to classic tunes you love, culminating in a special nighttime show at sea.

No, there won't be zip lines between ships (c'mon 🙄), but it'll still be a unique experience. It is what you make of it. We'll be on the Sunrise and are looking forward to it.

Right, so if you can't interact with those other ships, that element is a bit of a Potemkin village, if you ask me.

I'm sure the other on-board activities will be fun, and if I can time it, I might go on one.  But you'll get more ship-to-ship interaction at a common foreign port than you will in the open water.

On 2/23/2021 at 12:48 PM, Organized Chaos said:

No, there won't be zip lines between ships (c'mon 🙄), but it'll still be a unique experience.

If there are several of these events, apparently the experience won't be unique.

I don't see the great appeal, and wouldn't book based on that. But if it happened to occur on a cruise I was taking I guess it would be cool to see several ships together. For a moment at least, then back to normal cruising activities. But certainly no harm done and if others find it appealing, that's great.

4 hours ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

We are going to check this out.  I read there was going to fireworks at night.  

Unless a barge with fireworks is going to be towed out to the meeting points, I have doubts about fireworks. Too much potential for fire or other undesired side effects.

I believe i read there would be some food menu changes and some throwback offerings as well, such as midnight buffet, etc. 

I do agree, ships will never be as close as in a foreign port where we are 100 ft apart. 

We booked for the Pride since we have never sailed her and its our home port. Now to see if 8 day cruises resume by March 22'

16 hours ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

We are going to check this out.  I read there was going to fireworks at night.  

11 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Unless a barge with fireworks is going to be towed out to the meeting points, I have doubts about fireworks. Too much potential for fire or other undesired side effects.

John Heald has stated frequently that Carnival does not do fireworks, expressing surprise that The Mouse continues to do it onboard at sea - the position stated is that it is too dangerous, requires special licensing/training, etc.

But a barge towed in might work for a few limited events.

On 2/23/2021 at 2:19 PM, ProgRockCruiser said:

Right, so if you can't interact with those other ships, that element is a bit of a Potemkin village, if you ask me.

Thx for using that term, I hadn't heard of it and looked it up. Quite interesting!

5 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Thx for using that term, I hadn't heard of it and looked it up. Quite interesting!

You are quite welcome.  The concept works well in explaining anything where there is a façade of truth, but little meat to the bone, as it were.

Interesting concept but not sure I'd book just to experience this, although I wouldn't let it keep me from booking one. When I was on the USS Eisenhower it happened that the USS Nimitz and USS Vinson (two sister carriers) were getting underway at the same time as we were returning to port and the powers that be allowed the coordination to happen so that three nuclear aircraft carriers were able to steam in formation. It was kind of neat to see so much air power in one place.

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

John Heald has stated frequently that Carnival does not do fireworks, expressing surprise that The Mouse continues to do it onboard at sea - the position stated is that it is too dangerous, requires special licensing/training, etc.

But a barge towed in might work for a few limited events.

Heald is misinformed because modern fireworks and launch systems are not dangerous in the hands of licensed pyro technicians. Unlike older fireworks where shells are loaded in tubes, a fuse lit and an explosion carries the shell aloft burning all the way up, current systems do not light a fuse to launch the shell. The launch system uses compressed air to carry it aloft, and the fuse is triggered when the shell reaches display altitude. Shells that do not reach minimum safe altitude will not explode. 

1 hour ago, Moviela said:

Heald is misinformed because modern fireworks and launch systems are not dangerous in the hands of licensed pyro technicians. Unlike older fireworks where shells are loaded in tubes, a fuse lit and an explosion carries the shell aloft burning all the way up, current systems do not light a fuse to launch the shell. The launch system uses compressed air to carry it aloft, and the fuse is triggered when the shell reaches display altitude. Shells that do not reach minimum safe altitude will not explode. 

Well, as I said "the position stated..." - i.e. the corporate line, which may or may not have any basis in facts, but provides a policy to position themselves upon.

There are still dangers associated with the system you described, and from what I have gathered, the fuse isn't triggered by altitude, but by a timer, based on what I read here about Disney using compressed air launches (from 2004, so fairly old, I suppose, but I couldn't find anything more recent about the technology):

https://science.slashdot.org/story/04/06/28/1826239/disney-launches-fireworks-with-compressed-air

"The circuit doesn't use altitude per se but a timed interval instructed in the coding pulse at the launch event."

I couldn't quite figure out if enough delta in air pressure for a difference in a thousand feet or so would really be possible for safety purposes - looks like it is about 1% drop in atmospheric pressure for every 300 feet, AFAICT.  So ~3% drop for the max typical fireworks height.

8 hours ago, Moviela said:

Are modern fireworks biodegradable? Seems to me there would still be air and water pollution.

15 hours ago, jerseyjjs said:

Not for me, thanks.  If I want to be at a place with other Carnival ships all around, I'll just book a cruise with a stop in Nassau.

When we went on a cruise with some friends of ours there was a Carnival ship across the pier from us in Nassau. As we left the ship one of our travel mates looked at the people disembarking that ship and shouted. His cousin's family was on a cruise on that ship. Neither of them knew the other was cruising in the same week so they had a mini-family reunion on the pier in Nassau.

I would suspect the cruise ships will be a good distance apart. They do not need another Glory incident. With a pair of binoculars you should be able to see the people on the other ships while there is day light. I will say, it is neat to see a ship's lights at night. This is all marketing to make some additional money. I feel this is more fluff than substance. They have deck parties on every cruise that are not very well attended. I see more ships when I am in port at Cozumel.